C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW Shifter too tight - adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Brian
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Default MGW Shifter too tight - adjustable?

My MGW shifter is so tight, it's easy to accidently downshift! Any adjustment to this?
Brian
Old 12-04-2010, 12:47 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Brian
My MGW shifter is so tight, it's easy to accidently downshift! Any adjustment to this?
Brian
Learn how to shift? Seriously, I haven't seen anyone with an MGW complain about the tightness, and I have one myself.

San
Old 12-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Brian
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Learn how to shift? Seriously, I haven't seen anyone with an MGW complain about the tightness, and I have one myself.

San
My mechanic was scared to shift it - it was so tight. Been like that since i bought it from original owner. I thought is was too tight and would accidently downshift instead of upshift. Everyone that has driven it has commented on it.

Learn to shift? I hope there's a class for that! lol

But seriously, are there any adjustments?

(I saw this thread -
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...-for-sale.html
- so maybe I am not the only one?)

Last edited by Brian; 12-04-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:29 AM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian
I own the latest model (thanks George) and it is tight, but that's the whole point in buying an MGW shifter.

I have used it on the street and several track days and I love the tightness of the shifter, no problems here.

Maybe you have to get used to the tight feel, after a while you don't want to go back to the sloppy feel of the default shifter.

Fred
Old 12-04-2010, 08:31 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian
I put lighter springs in the shifter assembly and shimmed the detent bolt in the trans. At one time there were threads on this forum with details. I think you can get the springs at Grainger or similar industrial supply. The original springs are in the 60 lb. range, I'm using some in the 30 lb. range. A 1/16" copper washer under the detent bolt on top of the trans will also help.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Brian
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fred_S
I own the latest model (thanks George) and it is tight, but that's the whole point in buying an MGW shifter.

I have used it on the street and several track days and I love the tightness of the shifter, no problems here.

Maybe you have to get used to the tight feel, after a while you don't want to go back to the sloppy feel of the default shifter.

Fred
But it shouldn't be so tight that you can't tell what gear you're heading into, causing inadvertant downshifts. I assumed that the characteristic was intrinsic to the model and lived with it, but now I'm sure there is something wrong. My son's C5 has a Hurst and it shifts smooth as silk without all the misshifts.

Thanks everybody for the input.

Brian
Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Brian
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by REVAK
I put lighter springs in the shifter assembly and shimmed the detent bolt in the trans. At one time there were threads on this forum with details. I think you can get the springs at Grainger or similar industrial supply. The original springs are in the 60 lb. range, I'm using some in the 30 lb. range. A 1/16" copper washer under the detent bolt on top of the trans will also help.
Shifter isn't really too tight. But it's the gear selection that is tight and it is hit or miss. When you think you are upshifting, the tranny is actually in a lower gear and you find out when you dump the clutch and overrev the engine. I may sell the unit and get the Hurst instead and just start out fresh.

Maybe the original owner missed something in the directions.
(That's possible since when he installed the long tube headers, he held up the emmision wiring with zip ties, which eventually melted and caused the wiring harnesses to melt to the headers. What a mess I had to clean up!)
Brian

Last edited by Brian; 12-04-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:17 AM
jsilvz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian
Have you talked to George at MGW? I'm sure he would welcome a call. One of the best vendors I've ever dealt with. Great guy.
(706)793-1770 I've had his shifter for 3 yrs, great feel and not one missed shift. What ever is wrong, I'm sure it can be fixed and you will be equally as happy with your shifter.
Good Luck
Old 12-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas

Shifter isn't really too tight. But it's the gear selection that is tight and it is hit or miss. When you think you are upshifting, the tranny is actually in a lower gear and you find out when you dump the clutch and overrev the engine. I may sell the unit and get the Hurst instead and just start out fresh.

Maybe the original owner missed something in the directions.
(That's possible since when he installed the long tube headers, he held up the emmision wiring with zip ties, which eventually melted and caused the wiring harnesses to melt to the headers. What a mess I had to clean up!)
Brian
If the shifter box rubber bushings are shot, the shifter will move around a little too much and may be the cause of your problem.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:38 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian lets see if I can help you out. It is a tight shifter, short throw and narrow gate. IMO the best shifter on the market but there is a learning curve to it.

Because it is a very narrow gate it is very easy to over control the shirter. Never try and manhandle it. Just use your palm and fingers. If you are in 1st, 3rd or 5th and just pull back firm with your fingers you will always end up in 4th. Push up with your palm in 2nd, 4th and 6th will always land you in 3rd. In summary you will always end up in the center gate by just pulling or pushing.

If you want to play in the 1st and 2nd gate apply pressure to the right side of the shifter and either pull with your fingers for 2nd or push to 1st with your palm. 5th and 6th the same method with but apply pressure to the left side of the shifter. Remember not appling pressure right or left will always land you in 3rd or 4th.

It is a very easy shifter to live with once you follow this process.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:14 AM
fred_S
Pro

Replacing the springs is only possible with the older models, the latest model doesn't have springs anymore. I have the latest model and it's even better than the model with springs. (owned both)

Anyway, you should talk to George from MGW, he is one of the most helpful forum vendors I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with on this forum.

Fred
Old 12-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Bludog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TMyers
Brian lets see if I can help you out. It is a tight shifter, short throw and narrow gate. IMO the best shifter on the market but there is a learning curve to it.

Because it is a very narrow gate it is very easy to over control the shirter. Never try and manhandle it. Just use your palm and fingers. If you are in 1st, 3rd or 5th and just pull back firm with your fingers you will always end up in 4th. Push up with your palm in 2nd, 4th and 6th will always land you in 3rd. In summary you will always end up in the center gate by just pulling or pushing.

If you want to play in the 1st and 2nd gate apply pressure to the right side of the shifter and either pull with your fingers for 2nd or push to 1st with your palm. 5th and 6th the same method with but apply pressure to the left side of the shifter. Remember not appling pressure right or left will always land you in 3rd or 4th.

It is a little different to get used to at first. That is excellent advice on shifting. See Rangers posts as he also has good advice on shifting. I love my MGW. Call George @ MGW or send him an e-mail. He is fantastic at getting back to you with your concerns.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

This really sums it up.

I found out the first time I tried mine. I landed in in 3rd instead of 5th and its never happened again.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Brian
Burning Brakes

I've noticed the particulars to this shifter. I've noticed that it returns to center each time. I have owned it over a year now and have been working on it. I have owned a lot of muscle cars and C2, C3, C5, C6 vettes and have never had an experience like this. My son's Hurst seems so much smoother. I will give MGW a call.
Thanks to everyone!
Brian

Last edited by Brian; 12-05-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:26 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Brian - it sounds like there's something wrong & not it's not your shifting skills. You already said you bought the car used & you mentioned other blotched parts installs from the previous owner. Have you taken the shifter out & investigated? Maybe it's something obvious, maybe the previous owner already tried changing the springs (if it’s the older model shifter) & didn't put it back together correctly.

Let us know George says - Good luck
Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 PM
richardnielsen
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had a lot of cars in life. Drag racing and/or road racing in many of them. This MGW shifter is the best I have ever experienced. That being said, it is a different animal. Sounds to me that something just isn't right with your setup.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Brian
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ///DarkSide\\\
Brian - it sounds like there's something wrong & not it's not your shifting skills. You already said you bought the car used & you mentioned other blotched parts installs from the previous owner. Have you taken the shifter out & investigated? Maybe it's something obvious, maybe the previous owner already tried changing the springs (if it’s the older model shifter) & didn't put it back together correctly.

Let us know George says - Good luck
That was my first thought, exactly! I' ll post more once my mechanic looks at it and i call MGW. Thanks again everyone.

Brian

Get notified of new replies

To MGW Shifter too tight - adjustable?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:23 PM
SmokinZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the MGW shifter, love it. I have one time, just recently actually done the 3rd gear instead of 5th with the complementary overrev. Talk about surprise, at 5th gear speeds. I have caught myself a few times being over aggressive with the gear selection. When I first got the it my problem was the other way, hitting 5th instead of 3rd. I think it all comes down to man handling the shift and something to work on in the driver improvement category.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I do NOT understand what your calling TIGHT???

If you move the shifter to NUTERAL and just push the handle to the LEFT and RIGHT, when you let the handle go, it should self center to the 3rd/neutral/4th gate. CORRECT?????

When you "USE THE PALM OF YOUR HAND and TIPS of your fingers" to move the lever to the 1st/2nd gate, you should be able to PUSH the shift lever to 1st or or pull to 2nd without any excessive force. Same with 5th/6th gate

So what action are you calling DIFFICULT or TIGHT????

There’s a rod inside the shift box that slides forward or reward and also moves side to side. I’ve seen them get stiff and some grease easily fixes that issue. The rubber bushings that are used to cushion/isolate the shifter box from the torque tube are KNOWN to go bad and adversely effect shifting.

I have also found the screws that attach the shifter to the lower box loose and that can also cause shifting issues. The OEM shifter screws are shorter than the aftermarket screws and if the OEM screws are used, the shifter will pull out of the lower shift box.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 12-08-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:43 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problem.....Unscrew your **** till it gets easier.

I had my **** screwed all the way down and I was like how the hell....where is reverse...I unscrewed the **** till it was easier.

It sounds stupid, but it makes a huge diff.

Last edited by MikeSVT04; 12-08-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter too tight - adjustable?