C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing Smog, Advanced Dyno gone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Keaka26
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing Smog, Advanced Dyno gone?

Hey guys,

There is a good chance I am selling my C6 to my uncle out in Texas. he inquired if it would pass smog. Naturally, in California, a car doesn't need to pass smog again until it is six years old. In Texas, any car older than two years needs to pass.

When I got my mods done at Advanced Dyno, it was because they advertised that the cam I chose would allow the car to still pass emissions. Will that actually be the case? I don't know and Advanced Dyno seems to have gone out of business...(I haven't been on the forums for a while).

I bought the ADS4 Cam (the one they claimed will be tailpipe friendly), a ported intake manifold, Vararam, Kooks 1 3/4" headers w/ cats, and obviously a dyno tune. Does anyone know about emissions testing in Texas (Tarrant county)?

I don't want to leave my uncle with a car he can't even register. He's driving from Texas to the Bay Area and all the way back to Texas to come get the car!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:17 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I may be misunderstanding your question, if so please excuse me. Can't you take the car and pay for an emissions report? They would give you a printout that you could compare the values to the regulations. As for a Texas visual equipment mod inspection, that would be different than what you are asking, I think.

Maybe also ask in the Southwest Regional Forum for Texas members to respond to.

Good luck.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keaka26
Hey guys,

There is a good chance I am selling my C6 to my uncle out in Texas. he inquired if it would pass smog. Naturally, in California, a car doesn't need to pass smog again until it is six years old. In Texas, any car older than two years needs to pass.

When I got my mods done at Advanced Dyno, it was because they advertised that the cam I chose would allow the car to still pass emissions. Will that actually be the case? I don't know and Advanced Dyno seems to have gone out of business...(I haven't been on the forums for a while).

I bought the ADS4 Cam (the one they claimed will be tailpipe friendly), a ported intake manifold, Vararam, Kooks 1 3/4" headers w/ cats, and obviously a dyno tune. Does anyone know about emissions testing in Texas (Tarrant county)?

I don't want to leave my uncle with a car he can't even register. He's driving from Texas to the Bay Area and all the way back to Texas to come get the car!
No problem. I used to live in Tarrant County.

They don't do a tail pipe sniff test. Just plug into the OBDII port and look at a list of self tests to make sure they are "complete" status. In that region of Texas which is just north of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, there are a number of good tuners that can help get the tune done so it passes. Don't worry about it.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Keaka26
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mez
No problem. I used to live in Tarrant County.

They don't do a tail pipe sniff test. Just plug into the OBDII port and look at a list of self tests to make sure they are "complete" status. In that region of Texas which is just north of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, there are a number of good tuners that can help get the tune done so it passes. Don't worry about it.
Oh, that's great news No tailpipe test...Must be nice.

Here's another question regarding the OBDII test. Would advanced dyno have done anything in their tuning process that would screw with the OBDII scan? I read that the test checks various emissions related functions including the CEL itself (to insure that it actually lights up LOL)....

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:31 AM
RED_LSWHEE
Instructor

I'm not too sure on what difference it's going to make. I live in Alabama and we don't have to worry about emissions tests. I do know that there is a way or 2 to get around the test, but that's with a sniffer. I don't know about the OBD II port test though.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:29 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

As long as there is no CEL it will pass an OBDII test.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:27 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

With headers the car won't legally pass the visual portion of any Inspection anywhere in the US. Federal law that says the cats can't be replaced or moved from original location.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

My car passed with Kooks headers and high flow cats, 220/220 cam, blower, etc....Tarrant County. I don't recall a sniffer and my tuner said the same about the computer plug in.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas

Originally Posted by MARSC6
As long as there is no CEL it will pass an OBDII test.

Apparently Tarrant County and the other counties around DFW does test for actual CO2, HC, and NOX at 2 engine speeds. This is different from the Austin area OBDII only test.

According to this, they DO a sniffer test. I would contact one of the various tuners in the DFW area to see how it may impact your car. Tuners that come to mind include 21st Century Muscle Cars, LG, and Quality Motorsports.

For more information, see this link:
TEXAS VEHICLE INSPECTION RULES

Last edited by Mez; 12-10-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Keaka26
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet C6
My car passed with Kooks headers and high flow cats, 220/220 cam, blower, etc....Tarrant County. I don't recall a sniffer and my tuner said the same about the computer plug in.
Was this recently?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Was this recently?
Contact one of the following Tuners in the DFW area for help:

- 21st Century Muscle Cars

- LG Motorsports

- Quality Motorsports
Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 PM
hebdog7
Racer

www.snlperformance.com

Is another tuner that could help tune your car. They do NOT do the sniffer test UNLESS it is ODB1. Vettes are obviously ODB2 so no worries. I live in Fort Worth and pass.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Mez
Safety Car

I stand corrected.

If the car is 1995 and older, then its has the OBDI computer which requires actual testing of CO, HC, and NOx using a tail pipe sniffer.

Cars that are 1996 and newer are OBDII complient so they do a series of self tests. The testing station simply plugs in their computer and pulls out the status of these self tests.

TEXAS STATE OBDII TESTING

Using tuning software such as HP Tuners you can check the emission self test status codes to determine ahead of time if the car will pass or not.

If you know what you are doing, you can change individual DTC codes status to "3-no report" which turns-off the self test to force it to report "complete" and it will pass. Shops do this frequently after installation of headers and cams on the rear NBo2 sensors. That is why I suggested you contact one of the shops around the DFW area. How else would a huge cam car pass emission?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Keaka26
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mez
I stand corrected.

If the car is 1995 and older, then its has the OBDI computer which requires actual testing of CO, HC, and NOx using a tail pipe sniffer.

Cars that are 1996 and newer are OBDII complient so they do a series of self tests. The testing station simply plugs in their computer and pulls out the status of these self tests.

TEXAS STATE OBDII TESTING

Using tuning software such as HP Tuners you can check the emission self test status codes to determine ahead of time if the car will pass or not.

If you know what you are doing, you can change individual DTC codes status to "3-no report" which turns-off the self test to force it to report "complete" and it will pass. Shops do this frequently after installation of headers and cams on the rear NBo2 sensors. That is why I suggested you contact one of the shops around the DFW area. How else would a huge cam car pass emission?
Well, in California, they just dont!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, in California, they just dont!
The California air resources board has approve a new test starting mid 2013 that only reads and looks for codes. 1996 and newer auto's with OB11 only. You still will have to pass the visual test.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/lispub/rss/dis...t.php?pno=4494
Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
The California air resources board has approve a new test starting mid 2013 that only reads and looks for codes. 1996 and newer auto's with OB11 only. You still will have to pass the visual test.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/lispub/rss/dis...t.php?pno=4494
I cant wait for this! Visual is cake to get around. But its getting harder and harder to get around the sniffer every year.

Get notified of new replies

To Passing Smog, Advanced Dyno gone?

Quick Reply: Passing Smog, Advanced Dyno gone?