C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM
PHUN4US
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Pipe question

I have a 2006 A6 with a GHL axle back exhaust. No headers and do not plan on adding any. However I am thinking about adding an x-pipe and wonderd what was my best option. Also what effect, if any, will this have on "drone"?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:55 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In most cases, the X-pipe should reduce/eliminate drone if there is any.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default You already have an H-pipe

Which is to equalize left/right bank exhaust resonance in addition to "theoretically" balancing the exhaust & thus improving flow/scavenging effect, but the stock H-pipe I understand is not the full 2.5 diameter inside limiting it's capability of doing either very well, but does a better job on balancing resonance. A "real" X-pipe should improve both & go from theorectical flow improvement to actual, but no noticeable perf. improvement (on a stock LS2). At some point they started coming on stock C6s, so if someone who's gone full exh. route & has one laying around to give or sell would be your best option (bolt on & cheap), plenty of aftermarket X-pipes available to fit, more labor intensive than anything else due to cutting & welding. Call George at Kooks & see if he has any advise on both what & will it accomplish goal, he will undoubtedly know both. I use one in combo w/ complete exh. system, & believe they're worth doing, but I'm not so sure you're going to accomplish a terribly significant improvement w/ drone. Keep us posted, I'm sure folks would like feedback on the results, I'm curious myself. Good luck.

Last edited by Mike V.; 02-14-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 AM
BBExhaust
Supporting Manufacturer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

keyplyr and Mike V have provided a lot of good information on x-pipes and their advantages. Basically the main purpose of a crossover is to better balance the exhaust pulses between the two cylinder banks. The H-pipe does help with this however it is not real efficient. A properly manufactured X-pipe will help clean up the exhaust note and provide a little more performance. You can read more about out X-pipes at www.bbexhaust.com or give us a call at 888-228-7435.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM
AR Headers
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts

PHUN4US, I believe adding an X-pipe to any typical V8 whether through headers or manifolds is a step in the right direction but real power gains come from headers. I'm not sure you'll see the real advantages an X-pipe provides while running through stock cats. X-pipes thrive on signal which gets interupted as the exhaust pulse crashes into the cats. This is why we place our X-pipe ahead of the cats on our header systems.

Just curious, why wouldn't you consider a quality header system? It's easy to install and can be brought back to stock if necessary just as easily. If I can address any concerns let me know. Thanks

Nick
A.R. Headers
Old 02-14-2011, 03:28 PM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PHUN4US
I have a 2006 A6 with a GHL axle back exhaust. No headers and do not plan on adding any. However I am thinking about adding an x-pipe and wonderd what was my best option. Also what effect, if any, will this have on "drone"?
If you live in California, installing an "X" can result in failing the visual inspection for you smog test.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:40 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by seevi
If you live in California, installing an "X" can result in failing the visual inspection for you smog test.
Never seen that

Old 02-14-2011, 03:44 PM
BBExhaust
Supporting Manufacturer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by seevi
Installing an x-pipe after the OE cats will not cause you to fail a visual inspection as you have not altered the emissions in anyway.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Never seen that

Originally Posted by mark@BBExhaust
Installing an x-pipe after the OE cats will not cause you to fail a visual inspection as you have not altered the emissions in anyway.
In California you can do anything you want after the cats as long as it's not too loud.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As the above posters have said it should reduce the drone some.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by AR Headers
PHUN4US, I believe adding an X-pipe to any typical V8 whether through headers or manifolds is a step in the right direction but real power gains come from headers. I'm not sure you'll see the real advantages an X-pipe provides while running through stock cats. X-pipes thrive on signal which gets interupted as the exhaust pulse crashes into the cats. This is why we place our X-pipe ahead of the cats on our header systems.

Just curious, why wouldn't you consider a quality header system? It's easy to install and can be brought back to stock if necessary just as easily. If I can address any concerns let me know. Thanks

Nick
A.R. Headers
Originally installed Corsa Sports with the Corsa X-Pipe on my '05/Z51/M6. Nice improvement in exhaust note, but couldn't detect any real performance improvement. Then went to AR headers & tune done by ECS in NJ.....immediate REAL seat-of-the-pants improvement. I would highly recommend that's the way to go.

Get notified of new replies

To X-Pipe question

Quick Reply: X-Pipe question