C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service charging system warning - VICTORY

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by C6topless
Actually, I found a place down the street from my work-- I walked the starter in and they changed it out in about 2 min... thus the $15 was the installed price.... here is the shop -- I am sure if you contact them, they would be willing to help anyone out:

ACE Alternators & Starters
13201 Imperial Highway
Whittier, CA 90605

(562) 903-4150

Hard to believe but they are open 7 days a week !

There is also a second place that came highly recomended to me it is called :

AGS
969 Fairway Drive
Walnut, CA
(909) 468-1777

they specialize in hard to find parts and will rebuild while you wait.

edit -- if anyone needs a solenoid and they will not ship, contact me and I will help you out.
The terminal on my selanoid is broke (from the heat I'm sure).
PM Sent.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
The terminal on my selanoid is broke (from the heat I'm sure).
PM Sent.

Reply sent -- You are not that far of a drive from me btw...

P.S. that is extremely common problem ( i.e. the melting ) ... I am experimenting with a heat shield from a Chevy truck to see if that will help .. it was a pain in the *** getting it to fit.. so I hope it works...

Last edited by C6topless; 06-03-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 PM
etaylor14
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Good info,very interesting..
Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The solenoid Bakelite insulation burns due to a poor connection on the battery terminal or the starter terminal. The HIGH CURRENT with a POOR CONNECTION, caused LOTS or heat.. It fries the Bakelite!

I have stainless works headers and NO shields and have ZERO burn issues. This connection MUST BE clean and tight and easily gets compromised. If you see charging system faults and fluctuating charging voltages,, thats the FIRST place to check!!
Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If your solenoid was bad, was the car starting or giving you problems with starting?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM
C6topless
Pro

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
If your solenoid was bad, was the car starting or giving you problems with starting?
I cannot speak for the others but I had "click click" hard start syndrome and eventually nothing at all.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:50 PM
SLOWEST Z
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

it was hard to start sometimes, but now it does not start at all (it only clicks once and no cranking at all). i think i found the problem in my car..

i found the part (inside the red circle) loose and looks like it's burned. what is the fix for that?

is there any way to start the car?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 06-20-2011, 04:15 PM
SLOWEST Z
Racer

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Good job. The post solenoid is a good idea. GM has had a problem with solenoids for many years. With the post you could use a screwdriver to start the car when it went click click click.

please explain, how can you use a screwdriver to start the car?

mine is not starting at all.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:45 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWEST Z
please explain, how can you use a screwdriver to start the car?

mine is not starting at all.
The older GM solenoids had two post. One came from the battery and and the other was out of the solenoid to the starter. It was just a strap. A screw driver placed across the two post would complete the circuit to the starter. With the C6 solenoid you can't do that. That's why my comment that the two post solenoid is a good idea.

Google GM solenoid screwdriver trick and you will get lot's of information on the subject.

Last edited by VET4LES; 06-23-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:18 PM
C6topless
Pro

I can tell by the purple wire in the picture that is the starter solenoid.

The good news it is an easy fix ... just a matter of dropping the starter and replacing the solenoid -- the bad news is you will not be able to start your vehicle because of that solenoid's design.

The total cost of this fix if you do it yourself is under $20.

If you are in So Cal, I can help you get it done in under an hour.. just need to bring over my low rise jack, jacking pucks and a few tools.... and you will be back on the road in no time .

Last edited by C6topless; 06-21-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:14 PM
SLOWEST Z
Racer

I can tell by the purple wire in the picture that is the starter solenoid.

The good news it is an easy fix ... just a matter of dropping the starter and replacing the solenoid -- the bad news is you will not be able to start your vehicle because of that solenoid's design.

The total cost of this fix if you do it yourself is under $20.

If you are in So Cal, I can help you get it done in under an hour.. just need to bring over my low rise jack, jacking pucks and a few tools.... and you will be back on the road in no time .
unfortunately, i am far far away from So Cal.

do i need to replace the solenoid? dealer won't sell the solenoid alone, i already asked them.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

unfortunately, i am far far away from So Cal.

do i need to replace the solenoid? dealer won't sell the solenoid alone, i already asked them.
Find a local starter/alternator shop. They will have or can order a new selenoid.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:28 PM
C6topless
Pro

You are getting the same line of Bull Sh@t I was given by the dealer. Sure they want you to replace the starter as it is a higher profit generating item -- likely they are going to charge you about $700 - $800 ... hell, for that money I will drive to you and fix it. Seriously, if you have trouble finding a place, I will personally stop off at my local shop and see if I can pick you up one...

But you can save a lot of time and hassle by just finding a local alternator/starter shop in your area... and to answer your question -- YES you in fact need a new soleniod and that is the cause of your problem. I am 99.9% sure.

I would definately go with the "cheap fix" first as the soleniod is only about $20.00 ---

Bottom line is this, the corvette is a very well designed vehicle and from my experience, very easy to work on. Do not be afraid to fix it yourself, if you need help there are plenty of us here to guide you through it ...

Last edited by C6topless; 06-23-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:35 AM
SLOWEST Z
Racer

thanks guys. i will try to find a solenoid
Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 PM
C6topless
Pro

thanks guys. i will try to find a solenoid
If you have trouble finding one, let me know. I have two good and reliable shops near me.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:05 AM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

You are getting the same line of Bull Sh@t I was given by the dealer. Sure they want you to replace the starter as it is a higher profit generating item -- likely they are going to charge you about $700 - $800 ... hell, for that money I will drive to you and fix it. Seriously, if you have trouble finding a place, I will personally stop off at my local shop and see if I can pick you up one...

But you can save a lot of time and hassle by just finding a local lternator/starter shop in your area... and to answer your question -- YES you in fact need a new soleniod and that is the cause of your problem. I am 99.9% sure.

I would definately go with the "cheap fix" first as the soleniod is only about $20.00 ---

Bottom line is this, the corvette is a very well designed vehicle and from my experience, very easy to work on. Do not be afraid to fix it yourself, if you need help there are plenty of us here to guide you through it ...
Does anyone know the size of the teeny tiny screw heads to remove the selenoid screws? I cannot pull my starter all the way out because of the turbo/manifold is in the way (which is a big pia to separate). I am able to rotate the starter around enough to get to the screws. I just need to know what tool to purchase?
Old 07-02-2011, 03:04 AM
C6topless
Pro

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
Does anyone know the size of the teeny tiny screw heads to remove the selenoid screws? I cannot pull my starter all the way out because of the turbo/manifold is in the way (which is a big pia to separate). I am able to rotate the starter around enough to get to the screws. I just need to know what tool to purchase?
The screws that secure it to the starter are 5/32" and requires a deep well socket to fit in the hole that the one screw lives in.

Get notified of new replies

To service charging system warning - VICTORY

Old 07-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The screws that secure it to the starter are 5/32" and requires a deep well socket to fit in the hole that the one screw lives in.
YEP! Got mine from the local Bumper To Bumper store. 1/4" drive deeeep well. It was like $3. I didnt have one single 5/32" socket or nut driver that was either deep enough or thin wall enough to work!

Bill
Old 07-02-2011, 06:24 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
It's above the cat in this picture.

Nice pic! Where did that come from?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:21 AM
C6topless
Pro

Originally Posted by vetehead
Nice pic! Where did that come from?
that was taken the last time he went to the dealer to have an oil change.. the monkey who worked on it thought you had to pull the engine to change the oil....

Quick Reply: service charging system warning - VICTORY