C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any tips for stainless piston install on z06 calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:31 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default any tips for stainless piston install on z06 calipers

going to install stainless pistons in a friends z06 tomorrow for the front breaks and tips on the install??
Old 04-22-2011, 04:40 PM
4MuscleMachines
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Randy from DRM has posted a few tips in the far past, I'd search for you but I'm supposed to be "working"
Old 04-22-2011, 06:01 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Derek, The "red" cell phone will be on all weekend

Randy
Old 04-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

I put a a couple of pieces of 3/4 in thick wood between the pistons to keep one from popping too far out but even when extended they were pretty hard to pull out. Be prepared to use some serious force getting the new pistons in past the seals. I used a lot of brake fluid to lubricate the seals and pistons but it was still tough. The pistons were catching on the edge of the seal that is in the groove inside the cylinder. Once they got past the edge (with some rocking, some blue language and a lot of time the force required dropped to just hard). I thought I was going to bend my large C Clamp again they were so hard to get in.

I have been on a diet since January and lost about 25 pounds and went down a couple of pant sizes so when I was forcing the C Clamp handle around I was squeezing and turning so hard my damn pants fell down around my knees.

Bill
Old 04-22-2011, 06:15 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I put a a couple of pieces of 3/4 in thick wood between the pistons to keep one from popping too far out but even when extended they were pretty hard to pull out. Be prepared to use some serious force getting the new pistons in past the seals. I used a lot of brake fluid to lubricate the seals and pistons but it was still tough. The pistons were catching on the edge of the seal that is in the groove inside the cylinder. Once they got past the edge (with some rocking, some blue language and a lot of time the force required dropped to just hard). I thought I was going to bend my large C Clamp again they were so hard to get in.

I have been on a diet since January and lost about 25 pounds and went down a couple of pant sizes so when I was forcing the C Clamp handle around I was squeezing and turning so hard my damn pants fell down around my knees.

Bill
Any pictures? Congrats on the weight lose.

BJK

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 11-13-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I can tell you his pistons work on the Nurburgring.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:01 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

what are you guys using to take put the dust seals? a small flat blade screw driver?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

They make a lubricant for the brakes by EIS called Hydraulic Brake Assembly Lubricate. It is slicker than snail snot and will allow the pistons to go in with ease.

With single pistons there is an art to inserting the piston by blowing air into the hole for the hose banjo, but since these have 3 pistons on each side you can't do that.

Assemble the caliper with the seal and dust boot. Liberally lube the seal, bore and piston. Use a pencil screwdriver to expand the dust boot and insert the piston. Once you have the boot around the piston, square the piston in the bore and then press the piston into the bore by hand.

The key is the Brake Assembly Lubricate EIS pt# AF100

This is not a paste, it's a liquid with a consistency like oil
The following users liked this post:
bigbsp (11-20-2016)
Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

got them all instaled wasnt near as bad as you guys made it sound. pretty easy 2nd one went pretty quick.

was alot quicker to pull the dust seals and then pull the pistons. blowing them out didnt work too well. so just did that way.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:03 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
got them all instaled wasnt near as bad as you guys made it sound. pretty easy 2nd one went pretty quick.

was alot quicker to pull the dust seals and then pull the pistons. blowing them out didnt work too well. so just did that way.
Glad to hear as I also have a set to install.

BJK

Get notified of new replies

To any tips for stainless piston install on z06 calipers

Quick Reply: any tips for stainless piston install on z06 calipers