C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katech independently tests FAST LSXR LS3 manifold vs two ported LS3 manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Obviously the two samples they had are not indicative of all ported intakes. Judging by some of the posts in this thread, thats exactly how this test is being misinterpreted. Independent testing is done by countless purchasers with no dog in the race and there is a positive result. I have seen hacked up manifolds sent to me after people paid for the 99 dollar special deal thinking it would match a good job and can tell you that not all porters know what theyre doing.

The stockers averaged 8/11 to the wheels.

Im not sure what people are supposed to get from seeing two unidentified ported intakes fail to make a gain. I know there are a lot of hacks out there and I am in possession of 3 intakes that all made 9+ and lost that gain when the ported unit was removed. I will say that the LS3 has the cleanest runners from the factory and thus responds least to porting. The LS2s on the other hand are a mess in there. Saying the LS3 is indicative of all ported stockers is even more rediculous than saying two ported samples in a single test tells the story of all ported intakes.

I'd be more worried about a ported head/FAST combo making only 540hp on an engine dyno when a cam only (stock intake manifold and stock heads) has made 500rwhp after the drive line losses.

I thank Katech for sharing but it would be prudent to include a few samples of porters who voluntarily send in a unit instead of testing two units who were ported by mystery sources. I know Cory Harris isnt in the game anymore but his ported intakes did make gains and those gains reversed when the intake was swapped back to stock. It shows a ported stocker can, and has, made gains. He claimed 11rw average and mine from him was verified.

One last variable is that the ported intakes may not have been ported to work on a ported head configuration such as the 275cc intake runners on WCCH's porting. It changes the dimensions on the runner. Now a real awesome test would be to go back and swap on a bone stock set of heads in place of the WCCH's.

Yea, it would be nice to know who 'X' and 'Y' are... I have a Cory Harris ported LS3 manifold and made the same power you referenced.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 PM
sprinter
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work Jason, it is good to see true back-to-back testing for once. I have done some CFD on the LS3 intake and I think it is difficult to improve substantially without completely redesigning, as FAST has done.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU

Hopefully those that do send their own ported version to Jason, if any actually man up to do so, for testing accept the fact that Jason should note who ported it. That way there is no hiding behind negative results if that were the case. If you're confident in your product then why wouldn't you as it will only sell more of the porting services you offer?

The whole X and Y notation is but I get it if Jason didn't get their approval to use their name.
I think we should be happy he's sharing results!

Anyone not involved in racing or tuning doesn't ever seem to really appreciate hard earned R&D...I'm not saying you don't, I'm just a little concerned in general with guys having awesome ideas and not really feeling all that excited to put in on the board for someone else to learn from.

I can see Spins frustration from time to time as well as others. There's usually going to be a certain degree of confidentiality involved with R&D, and for a good reason.

We are all here to learn from each other, and to me it's always nice to see Corvettes developing
Old 05-10-2011, 06:44 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
I think we should be happy he's sharing results!

Anyone not involved in racing or tuning doesn't ever seem to really appreciate hard earned R&D...I'm not saying you don't, I'm just a little concerned in general with guys having awesome ideas and not really feeling all that excited to put in on the board for someone else to learn from.

I can see Spins frustration from time to time as well as others. There's usually going to be a certain degree of confidentiality involved with R&D, and for a good reason.

We are all here to learn from each other, and to me it's always nice to see Corvettes developing
Not sure I get your response if it was directed towards me. I'm always appreciative of the information that comes from members such as Jason, Anthony, etc.

The part of my post you quoted I was simply stating that I hope porting vendors do send their intakes to Jason for a controlled testing environment. In addition to that I was suggesting that Jason should be allowed to post the name along with results for each intake. Nothing more.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

"Show me one A-B engine dyno test of another ported manifold. Chassis dyno results are pointless."

Jason, what do you mean by this? Why are chassis dyno results pointless.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Since you don't want to quote sources or name the "competition", and you sell the item that "won", it is only going to appear to everyone that you aren't unbiased and that could be a sales pitch for your product without basis in truth. A dyno sheet can be made in photoshop and what you are claiming is against what every other reputable shop has found..you are going to have to expect controversy in your findings without full disclosure of your testing with a lot more information to satisfy the forum audience that this was in fact a valid, unbiased and vendor neutral test.
The following users liked this post:
Z06 Zephyr (11-27-2015)
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigster05
Since you don't want to quote sources or name the "competition", and you sell the item that "won", it is only going to appear to everyone that you aren't unbiased and that could be a sales pitch for your product without basis in truth. A dyno sheet can be made in photoshop and what you are claiming is against what every other reputable shop has found..you are going to have to expect controversy in your findings without full disclosure of your testing with a lot more information to satisfy the forum audience that this was in fact a valid, unbiased and vendor neutral test.

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
We don't even sell FAST manifolds. There are too many internet vendors selling for $40 over cost.
...guess you missed that post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
It's kind of a shame that Jason posts some pretty useful info which he or Katech will not profit from in any way and he takes a beating. So much for trying to help out!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
It's kind of a shame that Jason posts some pretty useful info which he or Katech will not profit from in any way and he takes a beating. So much for trying to help out!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Would I be correct to conclude that a 102mm TB on a FAST gained 8 HP over a 90mm TB on a stock manifold?

If that's what I'm seeing, it sure seems like a lot of moola per HP.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 AM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't speak for any other porters but myself. I've ported a few LS3s and even more LS2 manifolds. Before I installed my heads/cam combo I ported my LS2 intake and trust me, I didn't need a dyno to prove to me that I gained some power. I can't really speak for the high RPM power but the mid-range sure woke up.

When I port an intake I do everything from runners to TB opening to removing that damn posts in the inside...man I hate removing those posts. LOL.

Anyway, I'm not saying that the results posted were kinda "off" or anything. I'm just sharing my thoughts. Anyone can take a sandpaper roll to a manifold and start grinding away but it takes knowledgable guys like Spin, Cory Harris, etc., to make it all work well.

Just my .02
Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Stang's Bane
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone is going to have to explain to me what good removing the posts does.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by tomiboy
"Show me one A-B engine dyno test of another ported manifold. Chassis dyno results are pointless."

Jason, what do you mean by this? Why are chassis dyno results pointless.
They are all over the map. Conditions are not controlled properly. There are extra variables. They can be twisted to show what you want to show, even if you're not consciously doing it. The company that ported these manifolds showed gains on the chassis dyno. We take them to the controlled conditions of the engine dyno and they lose power.

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Would I be correct to conclude that a 102mm TB on a FAST gained 8 HP over a 90mm TB on a stock manifold?

If that's what I'm seeing, it sure seems like a lot of moola per HP.
No, we only changed one variable. We kept the 90mm throttle body on for all tests.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 05-11-2011, 09:26 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A very sincere THANK YOU for Katech for taking their time and money to do a proper documented test and then sharing it with the rest of the forum for free. There are a million "butt dyno" threads on this forum about what does or does not make power (hint: everyone thinks anything they spent their money on has made a huge difference. I can pull up threads where 160F thermostats made the car feel "much snappier" ) and they are all worth nothing as far as I am concerned.
Real world results like this are as difficult to come by as they are expensive to produce, and I know it first hand when I spent about $500 out of pocket "upgrading" from one header brand and type to another and doing six back to back (3 before, 3 after) dyno pulls to verify what effect that had. In the end the result was minimal and the response was similar to what Katech is experiencing; what I saw countered what a lot of people (who spent their money on the larger runner manifolds) saw and they didn't think it was valid for some reason.
Edit: I agree with Spin; I would not concemn all ported manifolds, but these results speak for themselves. I hope Spin can get one of his dynoed; it'd be interesting to see the results.

P.S. I have a ported manifold on my LS2. It was done by Corey Harris.

Last edited by PowerLabs; 05-11-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:43 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by saplumr
I agree 100%.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
No, I didnt....what he stated just contradicts what is on there site for sale, which is where I see the controversy...have a look for yourself at what Katach "doesn't even sell":

http://store.katechengines.com/lsxr-...fold-p206.aspx
Old 05-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
A very sincere THANK YOU for Katech for taking their time and money to do a proper documented test and then sharing it with the rest of the forum for free. There are a million "butt dyno" threads on this forum about what does or does not make power (hint: everyone thinks anything they spent their money on has made a huge difference. I can pull up threads where 160F thermostats made the car feel "much snappier" ) and they are all worth nothing as far as I am concerned.
Real world results like this are as difficult to come by as they are expensive to produce, and I know it first hand when I spent about $500 out of pocket "upgrading" from one header brand and type to another and doing six back to back (3 before, 3 after) dyno pulls to verify what effect that had. In the end the result was minimal and the response was similar to what Katech is experiencing; what I saw countered what a lot of people (who spent their money on the larger runner manifolds) saw and they didn't think it was valid for some reason.
Edit: I agree with Spin; I would not concemn all ported manifolds, but these results speak for themselves. I hope Spin can get one of his dynoed; it'd be interesting to see the results.

P.S. I have a ported manifold on my LS2. It was done by Corey Harris.
Thank you for your support.

No, I didnt....what he stated just contradicts what is on there site for sale, which is where I see the controversy...have a look for yourself at what Katach "doesn't even sell":

My wording "doesn't even sell" may have been a bit misleading. It was a notation of volume rather than carrying the product on our website. We carry it for use in our shop on projects, but rarely are sold mail order now days because of the under-cutters.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech independently tests FAST LSXR LS3 manifold vs two ported LS3 manifolds

Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It would be good info if we knew who ported the intakes.

Two mystery intakes not making power doesn't really prove anything.

My wording "doesn't even sell" may have been a bit misleading. It was a notation of volume rather than carrying the product on our website. We carry it for use in our shop on projects, but rarely are sold mail order now days because of the under-cutters.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

WOW
Old 05-11-2011, 08:40 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

We take them to the controlled conditions of the engine dyno and they lose power.
An engine dyno is not running a real corvette exhaust and it isnt controlled conditions. An exhaust like any other part of a build changes the results and many times more than an intake manifold can. Cam tests assuming all conditions held constant is a farce as any build gets tailored to where a cam dictates the changes should be.

Ported heads are as altered a test as you can get. Once a runner is changed from stock, the intake manifold's runner no longer matches it and the runner from intake to head bowl functions as a unit. I have never once seen a ported LS3 head not lose power under the curve unless it was a stroker using a big cam.

Last up, I have had one big name porter's intake and it lost power from stock here too. I just dont think you should be saying ported intakes all lose power when you should be saying, these two intakes from these two porters lost power on a set-up with ported heads (without a port match) and no corvette specific exhaust.

Not all ported intakes make power but quite a few tuners who had ported intakes from different porters indicated to me that one made nothing and the other....how did England Green put it..."made all sorts of power".

You proved you have two bad samples. Its not an overview of all ported stock intakes. I verified three of Cory Harris' intakes and all made +8 or better.

Quick Reply: Katech independently tests FAST LSXR LS3 manifold vs two ported LS3 manifolds