C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences in spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Differences in spark plugs?

I have an 07 Z51 A6 DD and have been using Brisk spark plugs "part number GOR15YTE-3" for a while. Over all they seem to work well. I was just wondering if anybody in the forum has seen a difference in performance; such as throttle response, hp/tq loss or gain, or smoother idle when changing to a different type of plug. Also does anybody on here use Brisk spark plugs, beside myself?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:24 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gering
I have an 07 Z51 A6 DD and have been using Brisk spark plugs "part number GOR15YTE-3" for a while. Over all they seem to work well. I was just wondering if anybody in the forum has seen a difference in performance; such as throttle response, hp/tq loss or gain, or smoother idle when changing to a different type of plug. Also does anybody on here use Brisk spark plugs, beside myself?

Thanks.
Haven't tried Brisk plugs. I did find that by using a copper plug, 1 heat range colder [ngk tr6] , I could run a little more timing.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:54 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I just put the TR6's in my H/C full bolt on car and it does seem to run a bit smoother, even at idle. I won't find about the amount of timing I can for a couple weeks when I go back in for a tune.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Haven't seen any need to change the plugs. My 03 had 43K miles on it when I sold it and it was running strong, still getting the same gas mileage it got with 5K miles and I saw no need to change. The 08 has 23K miles on the original plugs and I don't see any need to change those either. Still runs like a raped ape and gets great gas mileage. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Bill
Old 07-28-2011, 08:33 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

I guess it depends on your current and/or future goals. I ran stock plugs with great results at 476 rwhp, H/C and all bolt ons except a FAST. In my recent research, it seems that the NGK plusg may work better with higher Hp cars. if yoou plan on staying relatively stock, the AC Delco plugs will do just fine. I only changed due to potential performance gains and/or reliability. I read somewhere that you need to go one step colder for every 100 Hp higher than stock you are. But again, it could just be an old wives tale...
Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Haven't seen any need to change the plugs. My 03 had 43K miles on it when I sold it and it was running strong, still getting the same gas mileage it got with 5K miles and I saw no need to change. The 08 has 23K miles on the original plugs and I don't see any need to change those either. Still runs like a raped ape and gets great gas mileage. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Bill
I wouldn't be changing plugs on a car with only 23k miles either.

The OP is in a different situation than that.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by taken19
I guess it depends on your current and/or future goals. I ran stock plugs with great results at 476 rwhp, H/C and all bolt ons except a FAST. In my recent research, it seems that the NGK plusg may work better with higher Hp cars. if yoou plan on staying relatively stock, the AC Delco plugs will do just fine. I only changed due to potential performance gains and/or reliability. I read somewhere that you need to go one step colder for every 100 Hp higher than stock you are. But again, it could just be an old wives tale...
That's a loose interpretation of a FI rule. I do run TR6s on my bolt-on car and it does great. Some have had trouble, including JayPlaySS2 IIRC.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE
That's a loose interpretation of a FI rule. I do run TR6s on my bolt-on car and it does great. Some have had trouble, including JayPlaySS2 IIRC.
Ronnie, thanks for the input. Hearing that another member thinks sililarly makes me feel more comfortable. Have you had any problems whatsoever with your TR6's?

Yeah, I was very reluctant to change myself based on some of the posts I have read. The car seems to pull more linear but I wont have any data until the dyno tunel. I kept my AC Delco plugs and will bring them to the tune just in case. Heck, there's only about 1000 miles on them...

The reading I did included opinions that the copper worked better for overall power. The debate came with a lower heat range. Some say yes, some say no. I can buy into the fact that the sharply pointed iridium tips of the AC Delcos could potentially retain more heat leading to detonation, so the switch to copper was the choice I made. The colder heat range was supported by some tuner recommendations on several other forums due to allowing more timing. But again, if the dyno doesn't show that, I will gladly switch back.

On a seperate note, my '95 F-body ran great with NGK plugs and was relatively stock - even at 105k when I got rid of it.

Last edited by taken19; 07-28-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: because I can't type worth a sh!t.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:28 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had two different tuners tell me to stay with the stock plugs.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Have any of you guys seen where it was necessary to tweek a tune inorder to maintain optimal performance when switching from one make/model of spark plug to another?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:55 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have any of you guys seen where it was necessary to tweek a tune inorder to maintain optimal performance when switching from one make/model of spark plug to another?
My stock plugs ran fine, but I could not add any wot timing without getting knock retard. By using a copper plug, one heat range colder, I can add 1.5 to 2.0 degrees timing, no knock retard, throttle response is better. But to reiterate, at stock timing , I had no problems with the stock plugs. Also if you live in an area that does not have 93 octane, The colder, copper plugs buys you a little margin for staying out of K/R. Either way , we are still talking about a slight difference.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Our recommendation is Denso Iridium spark plugs. IT20s are identical to LS7 plugs and they can be purchased cheaper in the AC Delco box. For racing or boosted applications we use Denso IT22s.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Our recommendation is Denso Iridium spark plugs. IT20s are identical to LS7 plugs and they can be purchased cheaper in the AC Delco box. For racing or boosted applications we use Denso IT22s.
So do you think the IT16 would be a good plug for me to try per this chart for my 07 Z51 A6 with a mild Head & Cam?

http://www.densoiridium.com/find_part.php
Old 07-29-2011, 12:23 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Plug mfg gap them differently .... like a NGK tr 55 might be gapped at .051 and a denso might be a .045.. but the tune should not have to be tweaked its all about the correct gap on the plug....

NGK are about the least expensive most effective plug, the expensive plugs last longer.. the car probably came with an ac delco 41-110...

you drop heat range for every 100 added hp is the general rule..
whether you spend $14 for a set or $114 for as set of plugs is up to you... copper based will not last as long but are 1/10 the cost.. as far as performance goes I have not seen a true independent test done yet and show improved gas mileage from one over another.. so to me its all about.. maintenance and personal preference
Old 07-29-2011, 12:28 PM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Hi jason,

What is the advantage/gain to switch from TR6 to IT22 on my 418ci 664hp please?

Christian
Old 07-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all of the replies.

Get notified of new replies

To Differences in spark plugs?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:50 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by taken19
Ronnie, thanks for the input. Hearing that another member thinks sililarly makes me feel more comfortable. Have you had any problems whatsoever with your TR6's?

Yeah, I was very reluctant to change myself based on some of the posts I have read. The car seems to pull more linear but I wont have any data until the dyno tunel. I kept my AC Delco plugs and will bring them to the tune just in case. Heck, there's only about 1000 miles on them...

The reading I did included opinions that the copper worked better for overall power. The debate came with a lower heat range. Some say yes, some say no. I can buy into the fact that the sharply pointed iridium tips of the AC Delcos could potentially retain more heat leading to detonation, so the switch to copper was the choice I made. The colder heat range was supported by some tuner recommendations on several other forums due to allowing more timing. But again, if the dyno doesn't show that, I will gladly switch back.

On a seperate note, my '95 F-body ran great with NGK plugs and was relatively stock - even at 105k when I got rid of it.
No problems whatsoever. I was having a lot of difficulty with burst knock and the car was pulling timing every time I went WOT with the stock plugs. No problems with either now. I ran the same TR6s on my GTO until I broke 800 to the tires, then I went to the BR7ES. When are you tuning?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:12 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE
No problems whatsoever. I was having a lot of difficulty with burst knock and the car was pulling timing every time I went WOT with the stock plugs. No problems with either now. I ran the same TR6s on my GTO until I broke 800 to the tires, then I went to the BR7ES. When are you tuning?
My tuner has shown that to me during my past tunes. He called it tip in knock when he first hit the throttle. I'm tuning on 8/8/11, and I'm currently at 460/430 on his Mustang dyno and 476/424 on a Dynojet. Hoping to get +15/20 over my Formatto Stage II ported stock intake, but we will see. I'm hoping that the MAF screen delete, smooth bellows, NGK TR6 plugs and Ported FAST 102 will get me there.

Thanks again for the deal on the FAST and accomodations in shipping. I will let you know the dyno results as soon as I get them.

Sean
Old 07-29-2011, 06:02 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Anytime, Sean. By helping you, I helped myself a little bit.

Back OT, seems like a mixed bag, Gering. Small change if you're having issues, but sounds like nothing to reach for if you're not currently having a problem.

Quick Reply: Differences in spark plugs?