C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 serpentine belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM
bocallaghan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 serpentine belt replacement

Yesterday the belt that goes around my alternator, water pump and power steering etc. came off. Can someone please give me some pointers before I tackle this task?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Wow...not a common failure.

First find why the belt came off.....common: Is your harmonic balancer secure? Also maybe an antifreeze leak destroyed the belt?

The find diagram of the belt routing, should be in an owner's manual as I recall maybe even on a sticker under the hood.

A long breaker bar and the correct size socket is used to relieve pressure/ tension from the tensioner on the upper passenger side (again as I recall) of the engine.

Make sure the pulleys et al are clean before you install the new belt. Wire brushing them a little is OK.

Route the belt and slip over that tensioner last.

Use no lube!

(I also think there is a second belt behind this primary belt...since primary is off you may wish to change the other belt).

Easy job not other parts need to be disassembled to install this main belt.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:32 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,059 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Wow...not a common failure.

First find why the belt came off.....common: Is your harmonic balancer secure? Also maybe an antifreeze leak destroyed the belt?

The find diagram of the belt routing, should be in an owner's manual as I recall maybe even on a sticker under the hood.

A long breaker bar and the correct size socket is used to relieve pressure/ tension from the tensioner on the upper passenger side (again as I recall) of the engine.

Make sure the pulleys et al are clean before you install the new belt. Wire brushing them a little is OK.

Route the belt and slip over that tensioner last.

Use no lube!

(I also think there is a second belt behind this primary belt...since primary is off you may wish to change the other belt).

Easy job not other parts need to be disassembled to install this main belt.

Good answer!

2 belts on your car and since the accessory belt came off, just replace them both because the Accessory belt has to come off to get the AC belt replaced.

Important to figure out why the belt failed.

Elmer
Old 08-28-2011, 12:36 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

When you go to install new belt, what I found easiest; feed belt around all pulley's, tesioners etc except the alternator pulley. Standing on drivers side and reaching across, put 15mm wrench (it doesn't require a cheater bar unless you have really weak hands) on belt tensioner pulling it toward you. Then when you pull the tensioner all the way towards you the belt will slip on the alternator very easy. Follow up and make certain the belt grooves are aligned with the HB pulley grooves etc.

Last edited by DSOMC6; 08-28-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 PM
bocallaghan
Advanced

Thanks for the posts! I was able to replace the drive belt but couldn't get the replacement ac belt on. I went ahead and re-used the old ac belt due to the fact that it wasn't frayed. I will purchase a different manufacturer for the ac belt. I didn't see any obvious defects that would have caused my belt to come off. The belts have a slight sqeak at lower rpms. Hopefully my problem is fixed. Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Andy 53
Racer

Be sure to take a look at the harmonic balancer when idling to see if it is running true. Some harmonic balancers need to be replaced and the #1 symptom is sqeaking or squealing at idle. The harmonic balancer should have very little, if any, visible wobble at idle. If there is noticeable wobble, that may explain why your belt came off. There is a lot of material on the forum about this harmonic balancer problem.

I had to have mine replaced by the dealership...very expensive. There is a lot of labor involved.

Andy
Old 06-13-2016, 12:58 AM
rbreske08
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I know it's an old post but I thought this image would save people some time

The following 2 users liked this post by rbreske08:
Elijah71 (04-27-2020), Kent Rankin (05-04-2020)
Old 06-13-2016, 06:53 AM
05 Wreck
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Is there any info out there on the ft/lb range of the tensioner pulley? Worn/stretched belt is usually the culprit, but if the visual inspection of the tensioner pulley looks good, how do you tell if it's providing the correct tension on the belt to keep it in place?
Old 06-13-2016, 08:06 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by 05 Wreck
Is there any info out there on the ft/lb range of the tensioner pulley? Worn/stretched belt is usually the culprit, but if the visual inspection of the tensioner pulley looks good, how do you tell if it's providing the correct tension on the belt to keep it in place?
Don't know the actual tension #s, but there is a crude belt tension gauge built into the tensioner. Here is a pic of mine. I just replace the belt so the indicator is high on the top mark. See two marks on the tensioner body and one mark on the pulley arm.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 10-11-2017 at 07:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jeb6754 (06-13-2016)
Old 02-11-2017, 03:13 PM
ronbeck
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The serp belt will last a good long time, but if you replace the belt either due to age, miles, or condition, do your self a favor and replace all the idlers and the tensioner. These parts are not that expensive and are working harder than the belt. Don't be cheap, replace the whole mess at one time and save problems later on.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:00 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbeck
The serp belt will last a good long time, but if you replace the belt either due to age, miles, or condition, do your self a favor and replace all the idlers and the tensioner. These parts are not that expensive and are working harder than the belt. Don't be cheap, replace the whole mess at one time and save problems later on.

Great idea.. If your belts are shot, it's worth replacing the idlers too. Best time to do it..

Good luck, 2k

Get notified of new replies

To C6 serpentine belt replacement

Quick Reply: C6 serpentine belt replacement