C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Italiano24
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
The OP was dicussing an LS2
thank you
Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 PM
02FireHawk555
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
This is not a thread about LS3 numbers
Sorry forgot 06 was LS2
Old 09-22-2011, 02:07 PM
scarface9
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02FireHawk555
I went with a 224/230 cam with a 114 LSA custom grind from Texas speed. With that and LG street headers I dyno'd at 465HP/471TQ here is the link to my exhaust vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVh5O5wgGs
Are these numbers to the wheels?

MT or A6?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:30 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No....he would definitely not be hitting 550 flywheel horsepower with a cam-only auto LS2.
I disagree. If he's willing to go big enough, he can make the power. Is it going to drive? Practically not. But I'm confident with enough effort, it can be done.

I make 460 to the wheels in a cam-only LS2, which with a 15% M6 loss equates to roughly 540 flywheel. I'm also on a very drivable cam that's definitely not max-effort. And I do that on CA crap 91 octane full of bunny medicine.

You said he won't make 550+ flywheel in an auto LS2 car... Floyd, my man... how is flywheel horsepower in any way relevant to what transmission is sitting 6 feet behind it? Flywheel is flywheel, regardless of what's downstream. That's why we use a loose pseudo correction factor of ~15% for M6 cars and ~18-20% for A4/A6 cars.

If he's got good fuel, a great tuner, and is willing to go beyond-comforable with a cam in the mid 240's, a ways past .600 lift on something like a 112 LSA, fly cut for PTV, and drop to a thinner gasket to bump compression a touch, then with a ported Fast 92 and all the right bolt-ons (1 7/8" headers, no cats, straight-through axle-back), stock or lighter than stock wheels, etc... I would put money on him being able to make over 550 flywheel, regardless of transmission.

I understand quoting flywheel power is silly, and I work in wheel-numbers too... but the OP asked the question, so I'm looking at it with the OP's criteria in mind.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:35 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by scarface9
Are these numbers to the wheels?

MT or A6?
I didn't watch that video, but while 465rwhp is believable (but a stretch), 471rwlb/ft absolutley isn't... not cam only. I've never seen a stock cube 364ci make that much torque with just a cam. More like 465/417.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Italiano24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
I disagree. If he's willing to go big enough, he can make the power. Is it going to drive? Practically not. But I'm confident with enough effort, it can be done.

I make 460 to the wheels in a cam-only LS2, which with a 15% M6 loss equates to roughly 540 flywheel. I'm also on a very drivable cam that's definitely not max-effort. And I do that on CA crap 91 octane full of bunny medicine.

You said he won't make 550+ flywheel in an auto LS2 car... Floyd, my man... how is flywheel horsepower in any way relevant to what transmission is sitting 6 feet behind it? Flywheel is flywheel, regardless of what's downstream. That's why we use a loose pseudo correction factor of ~15% for M6 cars and ~18-20% for A4/A6 cars.

If he's got good fuel, a great tuner, and is willing to go beyond-comforable with a cam in the mid 240's, a ways past .600 lift on something like a 112 LSA, fly cut for PTV, and drop to a thinner gasket to bump compression a touch, then with a ported Fast 92 and all the right bolt-ons (1 7/8" headers, no cats, straight-through axle-back), stock or lighter than stock wheels, etc... I would put money on him being able to make over 550 flywheel, regardless of transmission.

I understand quoting flywheel power is silly, and I work in wheel-numbers too... but the OP asked the question, so I'm looking at it with the OP's criteria in mind.
youre right, I should be looking at RWHP instead of Fly, guess its just the slight newbie in me. When they rate the car out of factory dont they use flywheel? (ls2 400hp)
Old 09-22-2011, 04:14 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes

That's true, I was hasty in saying it was an auto with flywheel numbers being thrown about.

I don't agree with the thought that as power goes up you're constantly losing the same percentage through the drivetrain though.

Flywheel numbers once the car isn't stock are pointless because they can't be measured.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Italiano24
Intermediate

That's true, I was hasty in saying it was an auto with flywheel numbers being thrown about.

I don't agree with the thought that as power goes up you're constantly losing the same percentage through the drivetrain though.

Flywheel numbers once the car isn't stock are pointless because they can't be measured.
So when you look at vender stats, what are they refering to? RWHP?

ex... say a CAI is said to get up to 30 hp. What type hp
Old 09-22-2011, 04:48 PM
gsx1300r
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Italiano24

Chevrolet references flywheel numbers. Examples: LS2 400, LS3 430.

Vendors will use anything they can defend. Not many CAI's will (remotely) net 30 RWHP at any point on the curve (delta).
Old 09-22-2011, 04:49 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take vendor claims with a grain of salt. Often times they like to post a best case result and then claim gains of, "Up to 30 hp." But common results may be half that.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Italiano24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ctusser
Take vendor claims with a grain of salt. Often times they like to post a best case result and then claim gains of, "Up to 30 hp." But common results may be half that.
oh, completely agree, I assume they mean with other add ons to support it. But when you see people talking 70 hp gains from cam, 35 hp gains from LT's and X-pipe, which type of hp are they refering to?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:22 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh, completely agree, I assume they mean with other add ons to support it. But when you see people talking 70 hp gains from cam, 35 hp gains from LT's and X-pipe, which type of hp are they refering to?
There are a lot of end results with various combinations of cam and bolt ons, most of the results posted here are whp b/c the car is run on a chasis dyno. Some vendor claims are represented in flywheel hp and some aren't. I suggest searching and looking at end results by real people on chasis dynos for a ballpark of what to expect. If you start adding up x product is worth 30hp and y product is worth 70 etc. you will most likely come nowhere near your expectations.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:06 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Our VB cam is mild enough to work with the factory stall and will compliment the blower down the road, feel free to contact me with any questions.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't agree with the thought that as power goes up you're constantly losing the same percentage through the drivetrain though. Flywheel numbers once the car isn't stock are pointless because they can't be measured.
I've thought about that proposition before. I might make a thread to discuss this over in FI (because I can use a blower as an example of linear loading per RPM, I believe. Similar to spinning accessories [i.e. trans/diff] on the other end of the crank).

Quick Reply: Cam help