C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise when lifting off gas.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Noise when lifting off gas.

Guys/girls,

Got a new (ish) noise which is getting me wound up, would appreciate any comments you may have.

I recently installed a rebuilt transmission which was supplied by a very reputable firm who are all over this board. Sadly it was the second one they supplied as the first was faulty on fit but I can live with that, nobody is perfect!

Anyway, this transmission has been in the car almost two months and when I installed it I filled with RP synchromax and also swapped out the diff oil for RP gear oil of the correct grade.

Since fitting I have had this really annoying whine on lift off at speeds over say 25 mph.

So, say I'm cruising at 70 and lift off to decelerate on an off ramp the whine is present. Dip the clutch and it goes instantly. Different gear is no different, same whining noise at speed. It is definately speed related and not gear related.

It is a kind of whining/whirring noise. It can be drowned out easily by a little volume on the stereo or putting a window down.

I wouldn't be concerned but for two things.

Firstly,one of my favourite things about the car is the burble and popping on lift off which is a bit ruined now cause I focus on this noise.

Secondly, the Tranny has a 90 day warranty. I really don't want to tear it down again but even less do I want to pay for it again!!!

What do you all think? Any comment or diagnosis is gratefully received.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My cars made that noise (very feint) since mile 1. Just figured it was noise from gears or something similar loading in the direction they don't normally.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

These things don't normally get better I'm sad to day. I had a bad set of gears once...I was hoping I was hearing things but I wasn't.

I had a hard time getting a decent rebuilt trans when I bent my output shaft a few years back. There's a lot of parts in there to be bad. Luckily I found a local shop that does great work.

If it was me I'd get it replaced. IMHO there shouldn't be any noise.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really tempted to try swapping out the fluids for a different brand but RP was specifically recommended by the rebuild shop.

This whole situation is not being helped by the fact that the place I went to is the other side of the country. They were great at swapping the first box when I had problems and I have no reason to believe they wouldn't be again.

Do you think this noise is consistent with a transmission problem? It is the same pitch whatever the gear, just varies with speed and goes the instant the clutch is pressed.

I am totally unfamiliar with the inner workings of transmissions but I suppose there is plenty of bearings etc on the output side that could be causing the fault?

It may be time (sadly) to start dialogue with the rebuilder again. Really want this sorted as I've spent a considerable amount of cash in the hope it would be done once and done right!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:12 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What does the company that did the rebuild say about the whine?

Get notified of new replies

To Noise when lifting off gas.

Quick Reply: Noise when lifting off gas.