C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power is too much??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastbob
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoil
the occasional WOT when a Ford or import pulls along side.

Actually these days a supercharger might be necessary to fend off that Boss 302 you may run across.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:13 AM
dcoil
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate the input. It seems like a clutch and possibly the diff should be upgraded to be safe.

And Greentahoe you make a good point. This C6 may be the fastest car I have driven. I haven't driven a Z06 or turbo or sc'd vette. You make an interesting statement that you have and the next build you do will be na. I have thought about a na build but the sc seems to be less fuss and easier on the engine. A na build will require high lift cam, better rockers, larger push rods, higher pressure springs, etc. All of this is in use so to speak on every rotation. The sc route only 'kicks in' when you want it.

As has been stated, I don't 'need' more hp. I could probably say something similar about everything I own. But i had a blast working on my first car, a 1969 Z28 over 40 years ago. I had a lot of fun putting in a cam, headers, big carb, etc. Boy do I wish I had that car now... But after raising a family and now enjoying 6 grand kids, I have the time and funds to have a little automotive fun again. And I really appreciate a forum like this to learn from others failures and successes. I'm going to make better and more informed choices because of it!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:34 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

When you say "track the car" do you mean drag race or road race? If you are talking road racing, until you get better, I would say anything more than stock is too much. I've drag raced higher rwhp cars than my new Corvette, but I'm going to start doing HPDE at road courses. When my skill level at the track gets to the point where I can actually use more power I will mod the motor. Until then, it's just suspension and brakes for me.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:10 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

500-550rwhp is enough for me.

I'm at 420 with bolt ons(ls3) and want to add a 100 shot later on. I want the nitrous to hit in 2nd gear around 3k rpms. So if I'm at a light I can drop the clutch from like 4k in 1st hook and book and bang second and bam 500+ hp. Lethal if you can hook from stops and low rolls....

besides there are days when I just like to take turns and really get on the gas. I don't want to worry about my *** end flyin out.

but I can see the attraction to lot of hp. It's what every puts a smile on your face.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 AM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's something I would throw out there:

I would say that for a street driven car, the Corvette pretty much stops being "fun" after roughly 800 RWHP and starts feeling more and more like "work" to drive above that. In other words, the constant struggle for traction every time you step on the throttle just takes the fun out of driving.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:11 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcosta79

I would say that for a street driven car, the Corvette pretty much stops being "fun" after roughly 800 RWHP and starts feeling more and more like "work" to drive above that. In other words, the constant struggle for traction every time you step on the throttle just takes the fun out of driving.

What do you guys think?
I disagree, suspension and tires make a huge difference. If the car is set up correctly the power is very manageable. Is say over 1050 things start to get sketchy regardless of setup. Even then though, especially with a centri or turbo, its power on demand. It only goes as fast as you want it to.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:39 AM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by breecher_7
I disagree, suspension and tires make a huge difference. If the car is set up correctly the power is very manageable. Is say over 1050 things start to get sketchy regardless of setup. Even then though, especially with a centri or turbo, its power on demand. It only goes as fast as you want it to.
Can you even tell the difference between 800 and 1000 RWHP on the street? (Not meant to be a derogatory comment, I'm genuinely asking)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:50 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by jcosta79

What do you guys think?

Driving the cars can be pretty easy.....again it is going to depend on how the car makes the power, setup can be everything.

The big thing that a lot of guys don't think about is wear and maintenance costs. At say 1000 rwhp you have more than doubled the power output of the car. If you think it is going to last 100,000 miles with only fuel and oil changes you have another thing coming. Look at the Bugatti repair lists...and that car was designed from the ground up to make that power, in a word...it is still 'Stock'
Old 10-28-2011, 12:50 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket valve springs need to be changed everytime you change tires. lol
Old 10-28-2011, 02:57 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

IMO the amount of horsepower that is right for you is dependant on two things: 1. Driver skill and 2. The ability of the car to put the horsepower to the ground. I love fast cars, always have. Big blocks, small blocks, whatever. I find that my Z06, even in stock trim, has difficulty putting the power to the ground in first and second gear, especially in cooler weather.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:26 PM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Driving the cars can be pretty easy.....again it is going to depend on how the car makes the power, setup can be everything.

The big thing that a lot of guys don't think about is wear and maintenance costs. At say 1000 rwhp you have more than doubled the power output of the car. If you think it is going to last 100,000 miles with only fuel and oil changes you have another thing coming. Look at the Bugatti repair lists...and that car was designed from the ground up to make that power, in a word...it is still 'Stock'
I would imagine you're buying new rear tires with every fill-up and a new clutch with every oil change.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Harbinz51
Pro

My honest opinion on this. If the car consistently hooks up and pulls through the gears, it gets boring quick. A car that just blasts the tires and still has great acelleration is much more fun. my 2 cents
Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dcoil
I really appreciate the input. It seems like a clutch and possibly the diff should be upgraded to be safe.

And Greentahoe you make a good point. This C6 may be the fastest car I have driven. I haven't driven a Z06 or turbo or sc'd vette. You make an interesting statement that you have and the next build you do will be na. I have thought about a na build but the sc seems to be less fuss and easier on the engine. A na build will require high lift cam, better rockers, larger push rods, higher pressure springs, etc. All of this is in use so to speak on every rotation. The sc route only 'kicks in' when you want it.

As has been stated, I don't 'need' more hp. I could probably say something similar about everything I own. But i had a blast working on my first car, a 1969 Z28 over 40 years ago. I had a lot of fun putting in a cam, headers, big carb, etc. Boy do I wish I had that car now... But after raising a family and now enjoying 6 grand kids, I have the time and funds to have a little automotive fun again. And I really appreciate a forum like this to learn from others failures and successes. I'm going to make better and more informed choices because of it!
Check these guys out.

http://www.centurytransmission.com/home

http://rpmtransmissions.com/

Old 10-28-2011, 06:11 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If you're scared to drive your car - you have too much hp
Old 10-28-2011, 06:43 PM
musicman2
Instructor

Default Hp

Originally Posted by capevettes
IMO the amount of horsepower that is right for you is dependant on two things: 1. Driver skill and 2. The ability of the car to put the horsepower to the ground. I love fast cars, always have. Big blocks, small blocks, whatever. I find that my Z06, even in stock trim, has difficulty putting the power to the ground in first and second gear, especially in cooler weather.
I agree with this statment---I modded a LS2--A6--to the level of a STOCK Z06-RWHP----It's enough for a daily driver street car--if your into weekly drag racing, there is no limit except the $$$$$
Old 10-28-2011, 06:46 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ///DarkSide\\\
If you're scared to drive your car - you have too much hp
Nah. You're just a wuss then.

The OP still hasn't said what kind of track events he's talking about. You can't beat a turbo setup for daily driving. You can run low boost or high boost. Even change it on the fly. Boost by gear and a myriad of other options with the fancy electronic boost controllers. Some even put CO2 on the wastegate to keep it shut without cracking open prematurely. If you are road course racing a turbo setup really needs to be well sorted. The Miata guys that road race turbos have gone through a lot of trial and error on what works and what doesn't. Pretty much it has to be top of the line parts and materials to survive on a road course. A drag strip and daily driving, not so much.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

That edelbrock kit is just too much money for the power, you can get an A&A Corvette Vortech Installed/Tuned for less than just the kit alone of a edelbrock and make just as much if not more power. Plus thats not the type of S/C I'd want on such a light car imo

Get notified of new replies

To How much power is too much??

Old 10-28-2011, 09:29 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
That edelbrock kit is just too much money for the power, you can get an A&A Corvette Vortech Installed/Tuned for less than just the kit alone of a edelbrock and make just as much if not more power. Plus thats not the type of S/C I'd want on such a light car imo
You guys think forced induction is expensive for Corvettes, try a GTO. I couldn't believe how inexpensive the A&A kit is. Some places are doing them for $6300-$6800 installed and tuned. You also make a valid point about a roots blower on our light cars. Very hard to get traction with that torque tabletop they make.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're an avid bench racer, you can never have enough
Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
I used to say never too much power , my ZR1 is 750. Right now, this time of year, I have trouble accelerating quickly as the temps are cool and the roads cold, this thing spins at will even in 3rd at half throttle, so if I am in a hurry I have to feather it, then try and get on it, it spins, get off it, back on it easier and so on and so forth. DO I wish I had only 638 hp? NO.

So I was thinking you could never have too much power. But after seeing your Avatar, I'm thinking of something else you can't have too much of!

Quick Reply: How much power is too much??