C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Air Intake Systems???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:03 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Here's what I would do....

Okay Chuck, if their customer service is so good, why is the tech line always unavailable to even leave messages?
1-866-507-2648
sales@VARARAM.com

Sometimes my customers complain and bitch that I didn't return a call or e-mail...

I say...."CALL AGAIN" or try another method.... I mean, we're quite busy every day

and sometimes calls or e-mails slip thru the cracks... No disrespect, but

TRY AGAIN, maybe a different way....

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA how many times per day I attempt to contact

LARGE, ESTABLISHED, NATIONAL Corporations and business and my calls

and e-mails just go unanswered for days on end...????

It doesn't mean they aren't worthy of your business....It's just how things are....

I happens to me EVERY DAY.... You're not alone in the world.

I bought a unit for a 2011 GS with dry sump. It won't go past the oil cooler. I even removed the bolts from the cooler
and backed it up to see if the thing would fit. Even when I got it to line up with the holes,
the total unit stood 3" too high. Gotta be the wrong lower piece or they changed something on the GS.
If you know the secret, I's sure appreciate the help

Not sure what you're doing there, but on the new cars with the oil cooler,

there's what we call the "Z51 BRACKET" It's an offset aluminum bracket that

replaced the original one which supported the cooler. It attaches to the shroud.

If it's the wide engine oil cooler that the C6 ZO6 has, then the unit slips between the

bumper and the cooler. It's snug, but it fits. There should only be ONE lower half.

I can't imagine why it's sitting up 3 inches, but I think you might need to make

sure the Vararam unit is properly tucked into the pocket you cut from the shroud....

If you didn't sit it in there correctly, then the scoop would point down instead

of forward and the inlet would point up....

All these things are painless to correct.

Call me any time if you need more help.
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 11-13-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:09 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Whats the mid point claimed improvement in et or better yet trap speed? (on average?)

1 mph?
2 mph?
3 mph improvement?
I wouldn't expect to see a full 3mph improvement in trap speed, but 2mph is possible depending on the car's level of modification and track/air conditions.
EVERY C6 that's using it in place of the stock unit should see a minimum of .15 reduction in ET (probably more) in my opinion.

Originally Posted by victorf
Secondly, I don't have a dog in the race!
I don't either, I don't sell Vararams (or anything for that matter LOL) or have anything to gain by promoting them.
In fact there's a side of me that almost hopes that some people don't use it because it helps keep those of us that already are using one faster than them LOL.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:43 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Stupid question but I have to ask.

Can you drive a corvette with Varanasi in the snow?

Looks as though it would send snow right into the snorkle.

I know its sacrilege but I drive my vette year round
Old 11-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,258 Likes on 1,163 Posts

If you define "best" as the best for the engine and filtration/performance tradeoff it's simple: Stay stock.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM
hwy1vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past some people had problems with hydrolock with the vararam, is that still an issue or has it been solved?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by hwy1vette
In the past some people had problems with hydrolock with the vararam, is that still an issue or has it been solved?
Same bottom feed design. So hydrolock is a possibility in deep water.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:24 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Not sure if anyone has tested the new Varanasi custom calfskin helicoil intake yet but the Vararam unit has been proven to.....

I've found that, regardless of the air intake/filter system in place, most people who drive through ponds or lakes have experienced at least some minor problems with hydrolock as well so apparently it hasn't been solved yet, I sure wish GM would finally complete development on that damn submersible Corvette already!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Yes......

Looks as though it would send snow right into the snorkle.

I know its sacrilege but I drive my vette year round
YES......You can drive it in the snow.... A few years back we made a video of

one of my employees holding the throttle of a C6 with a VARARAM at about

2500 rpms while I shot a garden hose directly into the front VARARAM scoop....

Very clearly that's 100 times the water that could be ingested in the rain

and the engine DID NOT HYDROLOCK nor did it miss a beat!

Now, while I believe that it could possibly have happened, about the only excuse for

blowing up a motor with a VARARAM would be a scenario where you found yourself

in Japan or Thailand driving down the beach in your VARARAM equipped C6 Corvette....

And then....Out of NOWHERE... COMES A GIANT 40 foot WALL OF WATER.... TSUNAMI!!!!!

And your motor gets HYDROLOCKED cause you installed a VARARAM....

In this scenario....it's Forgivable.

Otherwise.....If it happens driving down the street in the GOOD OLD USA.....

Then Pal.... It's on you.
Chuck CoW
Old 11-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Same bottom feed design. So hydrolock is a possibility in deep water.
It's only a problem if you think your Vette is an Amphicar ( car that is also a watercraft).
I've driven my C5 in very heavy rains, and I never experienced the slightest problem. I have one in my C6 now, and expect the same performance.

Last edited by Ralphyboy; 11-13-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:30 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

thanks guys...

I realize many guys dont use their vettes in the snow and I happen to.

I don't do huge blizzards but I do use the car in the snow, saw the cutaway drawings as I was looking and wanted to know the answer for snow use as I use my vette everyday.

I successfully did many cold air systems in the past on my previous modded C5's and yet I didn't use them in the snow..

these cool air systems are excellent..as I believe every 10 degree drop in air intake temperature amounts to I believe a 1 percent increase in hp...(just from my memory years back)

I dumped the leased family daily drivers years back as I figured I only go around once in life so what should I save the car for.. (as nice a car as the corvette is)

Thanks for the insights...I really wasn't worried about rain but rather snow as the front and sides really do pack up with snow in the winter time when I pull in the garage after being out.

Vararam looks to be an excellent choice especially when you can have a top notch operation like corvettes of westchester install it for what amounts to very little money. IMO

Last edited by JerriVette; 11-13-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:44 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I wouldn't expect to see a full 3mph improvement in trap speed, but 2mph is possible depending on the car's level of modification and track/air conditions.
EVERY C6 that's using it in place of the stock unit should see a minimum of .15 reduction in ET (probably more) in my opinion.

I don't either, I don't sell Vararams (or anything for that matter LOL) or have anything to gain by promoting them.
In fact there's a side of me that almost hopes that some people don't use it because it helps keep those of us that already are using one faster than them LOL.
I don't drag race, so just to prove that I can go that much faster at the consequence of unknowingly ingesting dirt due to poor craftsmanship and inferior material is not acceptable to me.

I have already made compromise by using Callaway with oiled filter element (which already allows some dirt to pass) but then, I don't expect the vette to be a million miler either.

To each their own, I choose the quality made Callaway Honker and some believes in products pitched by snake oil salesman.

Its all good! Your money!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:48 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

I don't drag race, so just to prove that I can go that much faster at the consequence of unknowingly ingesting dirt due to poor craftsmanship and inferior material is not acceptable to me.

I have already made compromise by using Callaway with oiled filter element (which already allows some dirt to pass) but then, I don't expect the vette to be a million miler either.

To each their own, I choose the quality made Callaway Honker and some believes in products pitched by snake oil salesman.

Its all good! Your money!
Fwiw...I totally understand where you are coming from yet calling the vararam as being pitched by snake oil salesman is a little bit too far..

I admire the levity and understand its all in good fun when I asked a question about snow and the cold air induction.

Victorf, Please accept my apologies if I started anything with my question. I really was planning more on doing an edelbrock supercharger down the road if the C7 doesnt' excite me instead of getting involved in smaller bolt ons..such as this..on this C6 I own..

Still the cool air induction of the say the vararam or the callaway honker is very tempting ....btw...the guys talked about carnival shows and such before the full blast of corvette enthusiasts have had their say with regards to the CoW booster of corvettes of westchester promotes... Its a dam cool mod as well so I trust chuck of CoW as a man of his word.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...post1579210521

I've always believed respect is a two way street.

Thanks for all the responses( Good bad or indifferent.. ) with regards to cold air intakes.

Last edited by JerriVette; 11-13-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 PM
victorf
Drifting

Fwiw...I totally understand where you are coming from yet calling the vararam as being pitched by snake oil salesman is a little bit too far..

I admire the levity and understand its all in good fun when I asked a question about snow and the cold air induction.

Victorf, Please accept my apologies if I started anything with my question. I really was planning more on doing an edelbrock supercharger down the road if the C7 doesnt' excite me instead of getting involved in smaller bolt ons..such as this..on this C6 I own..

Still the cool air induction of the say the vararam or the callaway honker is very tempting ....btw...the guys talked about carnival shows and such before the full blast of corvette enthusiasts have had their say with regards to the CoW booster of corvettes of westchester promotes... Its a dam cool mod as well so I trust chuck of CoW as a man of his word.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...post1579210521

I've always believed respect is a two way street.

Thanks for all the responses( Good bad or indifferent.. ) with regards to cold air intakes.
I wish you the best of luck!!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:06 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

If I didn't care about maximum performance and/or didn't race the car then I'd leave it bone stock or simply do free mods such as the 'opened shroud mod', the car is certainly fast enough in stock trim for someone like yourself that doesn't race or "need to prove" how fast he is.
But I do happen to care and I do race the car so I went with the product that provided maximum performance and proven track results.

I choose the quality made Callaway Honker and some believes in products pitched by snake oil salesman.
Are you implying that the Vararam is a fraud, does not provide results in line with what is claimed?
A hell of a lot of us have gone 10s with that fraud of a CAI so it must be doing something right LOL.
I've seen the Corvette itself being pitched by various snake oil salesmen in the past as well, should we all avoid that product too?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:25 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

I wish you the best of luck!!
Thanks victor..I understand..and appreciate your insights and opinions..

I do believe cool air intakes are a nice way to get a little extra out of the vehicle. I am sure you are pleased with the choice you made as well.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:17 PM
victorf
Drifting

If I didn't care about maximum performance and/or didn't race the car then I'd leave it bone stock or simply do free mods such as the 'opened shroud mod', the car is certainly fast enough in stock trim for someone like yourself that doesn't race or "need to prove" how fast he is.
But I do happen to care and I do race the car so I went with the product that provided maximum performance and proven track results.

My preference dealing with whether car or motorcycle is basic quality intake/exhaust mods. and I enjoy years of dependable service with minimum sensible upkeep.

For someone enjoy pushing the limits then there is a trade off with higher maintenance!

To each their own, its all good!

Are you implying that the Vararam is a fraud, does not provide results in line with what is claimed?
A hell of a lot of us have gone 10s with that fraud of a CAI so it must be doing something right LOL.
I've seen the Corvette itself being pitched by various snake oil salesmen in the past as well, should we all avoid that product too?
I did not implied Vararam a fraud.

I bought one based on the theological improvement but returned it rather then taking a chance with its poor choice of material in construction as a whole.

As for all of you getting good results (officially joined CF in '10 but have tracked it for years), great, live on!

Different strokes for different folks, as for myself, I will definitely not buy into anything from a snake oil salesman. If indeed that individual had a track record of being not trust worthy.

By the way, LS1LT1, I have tracked a lot of your posts. You have shown to be levelheaded and certainly, I appreciate our current exchange!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
If you define "best" as the best for the engine and filtration/performance tradeoff it's simple: Stay stock.
What he said !

Get notified of new replies

To Best Air Intake Systems???

Old 11-14-2011, 07:06 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
YES......You can drive it in the snow.... A few years back we made a video of

one of my employees holding the throttle of a C6 with a VARARAM at about

2500 rpms while I shot a garden hose directly into the front VARARAM scoop....

Very clearly that's 100 times the water that could be ingested in the rain

and the engine DID NOT HYDROLOCK nor did it miss a beat!

Now, while I believe that it could possibly have happened, about the only excuse for

blowing up a motor with a VARARAM would be a scenario where you found yourself

in Japan or Thailand driving down the beach in your VARARAM equipped C6 Corvette....

And then....Out of NOWHERE... COMES A GIANT 40 foot WALL OF WATER.... TSUNAMI!!!!!

And your motor gets HYDROLOCKED cause you installed a VARARAM....

In this scenario....it's Forgivable.

Otherwise.....If it happens driving down the street in the GOOD OLD USA.....

Then Pal.... It's on you.
Chuck CoW
Old 11-14-2011, 07:11 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

By the way, LS1LT1, I have tracked a lot of your posts. You have shown to be levelheaded and certainly, I appreciate our current exchange!
Thank you.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 PM
hwy1vette
Racer

Not sure if anyone has tested the new Varanasi custom calfskin helicoil intake yet but the Vararam unit has been proven to.....

I've found that, regardless of the air intake/filter system in place, most people who drive through ponds or lakes have experienced at least some minor problems with hydrolock as well so apparently it hasn't been solved yet, I sure wish GM would finally complete development on that damn submersible Corvette already!
Originally Posted by Ralphyboy
It's only a problem if you think your Vette is an Amphicar ( car that is also a watercraft).
I've driven my C5 in very heavy rains, and I never experienced the slightest problem. I have one in my C6 now, and expect the same performance.
You folks seem to get quite butt hurt over a simple question.

A vehicle can encounter large quantities of water by simply driving during a heavy rain such as unexpected flooded lanes on a highway. I do not believe anyone suggested the vette is "submersible", or "is an Amphicar".

However your product loyalty is interesting.

Quick Reply: Best Air Intake Systems???