C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Air Intake Systems???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 PM
nassau blue 99
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Air Intake Systems???

I just got my 2007 LS2 (with 10K miles) a couple of weeks ago, it is bone stock, and the first thing I want to do is put on an air intake system...
I looked through the threads, but I couldn't find a post that recommended which intakes were the best...

I am sure there are lots of opinions out there (which I am OK with), but has anyone tested what is available?
Which intakes produce the best gains for a stock LS2?
Airaid?
K&N?
Hurricane?
SLP Blackwing?
Vararam Snake Charmer Ram Air?
Dual Flow Air Intake (with 2 filters)?
Callaway Honker? (with or w/out MagnaCharger?)

Cost is a factor, but quality and performance are more important.

once I put on the new intake, what are the next steps to gradually improve my performance?

(does the high flow power coupler do anything?)

Thanks...
Old 11-10-2011, 11:34 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nassau blue 99
Vararam Snake Charmer Ram Air?
Yes.

I like the performance results that the Vararam helps generate.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,184 Likes on 1,586 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Ive had nothing but excellent results using the C6 VARARAM.. It just flat works!

When you add any cold air intake that makes a TRUE performance increase,, you will need to recalibrate the MAF tables. That can only be done thru tuning.

As expensive as tuning is,, I recommend installing as many performance improvements on the car that you can afford and then TUNE.

I added LT SS Headers, 3" midsection with X pipe, High Flow CATs, ported TB and a VARARAM to my 06 MN6 Coupe. I was happy with the performance increase but the LOSS of fuel efficiency SUCKED BAD. I went from 26-27 MPG OEM Tune to 23 MPG and the engine running super rich!

I had Corvettes Of Westchester do a complete tune and I significantly increased HP/TQ and my fuel efficiency now exceeds the factory mileage. I can easily get 28-29 MPG highway. Ive see it hit 30 if I drive super efficiently.. VERY HAPPY!!

Long Story short,, you will see an improvement but your fuel efficiency will decrease slightly until you have it tuned.

VARARAM is my COLD AIR INTAKE of choice.

Bill Curlee
Old 11-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Ive had nothing but excellent results using the C6 VARARAM.. It just flat works!

When you add any cold air intake that makes a TRUE performance increase,, you will need to recalibrate the MAF tables. That can only be done thru tuning.

As expensive as tuning is,, I recommend installing as many performance improvements on the car that you can afford and then TUNE.

I added LT SS Headers, 3" midsection with X pipe, High Flow CATs, ported TB and a VARARAM to my 06 MN6 Coupe. I was happy with the performance increase but the LOSS of fuel efficiency SUCKED BAD. I went from 26-27 MPG OEM Tune to 23 MPG and the engine running super rich!

I had Corvettes Of Westchester do a complete tune and I significantly increased HP/TQ and my fuel efficiency now exceeds the factory mileage. I can easily get 28-29 MPG highway. Ive see it hit 30 if I drive super efficiently.. VERY HAPPY!!

Long Story short,, you will see an improvement but your fuel efficiency will decrease slightly until you have it tuned.

VARARAM is my COLD AIR INTAKE of choice.

Bill Curlee

I agree with the assessment of a Vararam ( had one on my C5 and now my C6), and with Chuck Cow. I loved my C5 that Chuck tuned, and now my C6 is running great too, with a Vararam.
However, the Callaway Honker, or Blackwing is a favorite of some other folks I know, but you do have to remember that it is called a COLD AIR INTAKE for a reason. Unless you open up the shroud somehow to allow more colder ,fresh air into the intake, you might as well not do anything.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:46 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

The Vararam works very well
Old 11-11-2011, 05:06 PM
nassau blue 99
Heel & Toe

"but you do have to remember that it is called a COLD AIR INTAKE for a reason. Unless you open up the shroud somehow to allow more colder ,fresh air into the intake, you might as well not do anything."

is there a generally accepted best way to open up the shroud?... some kind of how to description?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

is there a generally accepted best way to open up the shroud?... some kind of how to description?
Yes, and this is one of them:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...gle-bolts.html

Old 11-11-2011, 10:20 PM
nassau blue 99
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I read through the thread... a lot of the posts seem to compare the mod to the vararam... does it supplement the vararam or replace the need for it??

I am leaning towards buying the vararam (it seemd to be the most popular) (surprised I didn't hear more votes for the Honker)...

I found the vararam online for $279 (+shipping) from corvettegarage.com...
for $309 (free shipping) from pinnaclecorvette.com...
and for $339 from Jegs.com & buycheapr.com...

cheaper is better, but I am a little nervous about the corvettegarage.com & pinnaclecorvette.com websites...
is anyone familiar with them? (I don't want to get scammed)
Old 11-11-2011, 11:56 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

I read through the thread... a lot of the posts seem to compare the mod to the vararam... does it supplement the vararam or replace the need for it??
No, most will agree that it does not replace the need for a Vararam, it does do something similar and is better than stock...but a Vararam will still outperform the 'opened shroud mod' every time and at any speed.
I had the opened shroud mod prior to installing my Vararam and there were notable gains from the change.
With the opened shroud mod the thick plastic shroud is merely bent open a little bit but with the Vararam there is a large portion of the shroud that gets cut out and replaced with a large scoop that reaches all the way to the front grill to catch the cooler air and send it to the filter and ultimately to the motor directly.
Vararam Snake Charmer works.

I am leaning towards buying the vararam (it seemd to be the most popular)
Old 11-12-2011, 12:11 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

This subject has been beaten to death.

The biggest knock on the Vararam is the shoddy build quality and dirt getting around the seals. Some have modified the Vararam to try to fix the poor seals. Do a search. I went with the Callaway Honker and it makes great power.

San
Old 11-12-2011, 12:46 AM
ArtWalton
Advanced

I have a Airaid system on my 06 C6 work great for the price !
Old 11-12-2011, 12:51 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oldmansan
The biggest knock on the Vararam is the shoddy build quality and dirt getting around the seals. Some have modified the Vararam to try to fix the poor seals.
Yes, in the various cases where that has been an issue for some at least.
I have yet to experience it personally or even see it firsthand on other people's units though.
And yes, the Honker works too.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:35 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Yes, in the various cases where that has been an issue for some at least.
I have yet to experience it personally or even see it firsthand on other people's units though.
And yes, the Honker works too.
What turned me away from the Vararam were the people that had one and went with something else. It seems to be a love/hate relationship with the Vararam. My tuner likes the Vararam and had never tuned a Callaway Honker. He was very surprised at the gains. That said I know that some of the fastest on the list use the Vararam.

San
Old 11-12-2011, 03:39 AM
turboffr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

The biggest knock on the Vararam is the shoddy build quality and dirt getting around the seals. Some have modified the Vararam to try to fix the poor seals. Do a search. I went with the Callaway Honker and it makes great power.

San
I just put a Vararam on my LS3 and the filter sits very snug inside the top portion of the body . I don't see how anything could get by even if the seal between the top and lower sections are not great (although mine seemed fine). The lower scoop is there to pull in the air from the opening in the grill.

I also had a Callaway on my LS2, great piece. Looks factory, but is bit more expensive.

Vararam was easier to install since you don't need to remove the entire shroud. IMO either one would work great and pull fresh air from the outside.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

San

The Vararam that I had in my C5, was not the best as far as build quality. However, the one that went into my C6 about a week ago is far superior, and I was very impressed with it.This is the one with the textured finish on the outside of the unit.
The other issue, as far as the seal around it, as it goes through the shroud, is a matter of the quality of the installation. Chuck, at Corvettes of Westchester installed it for me. He has a template that he uses to insure that the hole which is cut fits very tightly around the unit.The paper template supplied with the unit apparently leaves a bit to be desired, and if you don't fold it and place it in the proper location to mark the cutout, you get a loose fit, and poor sealing around it going into the engine compartment.

BTW, I will also add that in the past, there was a completely false rumor about this unit, that said your engine would hydrolock in heavy rain or with driving through some puddles of water. The only way this could ever happen is if you submerged the front end of the car, so it was under water up to the top of the opening in the front grill. If your engine hydrolocked with that, YOU DESERVE IT FOR BEING A FRIGGEN IDIOT!! Any CAI unit would have a problem with that since they draw air from under the car and drowning the car would damage it. Use your brain, and refrain from putting your car in a lake and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Ralphyboy; 11-12-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:28 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,179 Posts

I'm curious how it is to replace the air filter on the vararam and then seal it back up.

Is it tough to align all the seals after say the chevy dealership gets done doing some type of service? Can the average GM tech not destroy this thing as they take it apart or put it back together..??

Whats the mid point claimed improvement in et or better yet trap speed? (on average?)

1 mph?
2 mph?
3 mph improvement?

TIA
Old 11-13-2011, 11:57 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Corvettes of Westchester will always be a VARARAM SHOP!

Corvettes of Westchester will always be a VARARAM SHOP!

And for a good reason. In fact, SEVERAL GOOD REASONS.

First off, the company is friendliest, most cooperative, and attentive to it's customer's

needs...Whatever they be.

Second, Patrick.... The man behind the product development....IS ONE SMART DUDE with

credentials and products to back it up.

Vararam ain't no CONE FILTER ON A PIPE...It's a well thought out design and

each and every feature of his Corvette products has a definite purpose...

That's why they will ALWAYS be the leader in this market.

Any problems I've ever seen with Vararams were ALWAYS installer error.

They don't just drop into place...There's some work involved and that's

another reason why they work sooo well.

BUT, if you don't install them properly....don't expect them to look or function

at their peak performance. That's on YOU.

Most people prefer to come here or to our booth at Carlisle as NOBODY

has installed as many Vararams as Corvettes of Westchester.

From a tuners perspective VARARAM intakes just plain work. Lots of thought

and testing goes into each design and what's best about them is that I always

get a nice clean, stable, repeatable signal from the MAF where as other intakes

with cone filters and MAF sensors up front by the filter have way too much

"swirl" or turbulence at the air meter just like what you see in the bowl when you

FLUSH THE TOILET.... The air spins and tumbles and the car runs poorly down

low or at light throttle..... NO GOOD.

Be wary of any product that has a VORTEX effect at the air meter.

You tuner will hate you and your car will run like CRAP.

Recently, we've even had to REFUSE to tune customers with certain type intakes

as I spent hours and hours to make them right, and I'm still never happy.

If I'm doing a mail order tune or a an AutoCal tune....

YOU HAD BETTER CALL ME SO I CAN SEND YOU A VARARAM!

That's my 2 cents.
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 11-13-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Air Intake Systems???

Old 11-13-2011, 12:10 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

San
Old 11-13-2011, 01:48 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

San

Secondly, I don't have a dog in the race!

Despite the Houston shop insisted on charging the 20% restocking, I returned the Vararam after it failed my visual check.

Other than never to deal with that Houston company, I have no regret and I have learned a valuable lesson!

HTH!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Cavallo GT
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Okay Chuck, if their customer service is so good, why is the tech line always unavailable to even leave messages? Why are the instructions totally out of date? I bought a unit for a 2011 GS with dry sump. It won't go past the oil cooler. I even removed the bolts from the cooler and backed it up to see if the thing would fit. Even when I got it to line up with the holes, the total unit stood 3" too high. Gotta be the wrong lower piece or they changed something on the GS. If you know the secret, I'd sure appreciate the help as I'm not having any luck getting a response from Vararam.

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW

Corvettes of Westchester will always be a VARARAM SHOP!

And for a good reason. In fact, SEVERAL GOOD REASONS.

First off, the company is friendliest, most cooperative, and attentive to it's customer's

needs...Whatever they be.

Second, Patrick.... The man behind the product development....IS ONE SMART DUDE with

credentials and products to back it up.

Vararam ain't no CONE FILTER ON A PIPE...It's a well thought out design and

each and every feature of his Corvette products has a definite purpose...

That's why they will ALWAYS be the leader in this market.

Any problems I've ever seen with Vararams were ALWAYS installer error.

They don't just drop into place...There's some work involved and that's

another reason why they work sooo well.

BUT, if you don't install them properly....don't expect them to look or function

at their peak performance. That's on YOU.

Most people prefer to come here or to our booth at Carlisle as NOBODY

has installed as many Vararams as Corvettes of Westchester.

From a tuners perspective VARARAM intakes just plain work. Lots of thought

and testing goes into each design and what's best about them is that I always

get a nice clean, stable, repeatable signal from the MAF where as other intakes

with cone filters and MAF sensors up front by the filter have way too much

"swirl" or turbulence at the air meter just like what you see in the bowl when you

FLUSH THE TOILET.... The air spins and tumbles and the car runs poorly down

low or at light throttle..... NO GOOD.

Be wary of any product that has a VORTEX effect at the air meter.

You tuner will hate you and your car will run like CRAP.

Recently, we've even had to REFUSE to tune customers with certain type intakes

as I spent hours and hours to make them right, and I'm still never happy.

If I'm doing a mail order tune or a an AutoCal tune....

YOU HAD BETTER CALL ME SO I CAN SEND YOU A VARARAM!

That's my 2 cents.
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Cavallo GT; 11-13-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Air Intake Systems???