C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Factory X-pipe removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:56 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HELP!!! Factory X-pipe removal

Hello all,

I am installing my Kook headers and X-pipe however, my 2008 corvette is not allowing me to remove the factory Xpipe easily from the stock NPP mufflers. I have removed the factory manifolds and cats although, with both of them removed the Xpipe will not come lose from the mufflers at all.

Clamps have been loosened, and the xpipe mid section nuts that hold it on the springs are removed. It's currently soaking in WD40; I have a plastic hammer that I have been using to hit the jointed area however, no success as of yet.

Has anyone had this issue, and do you have any suggestions to remove the factory Xpipe from the NPP exhaust? I am on jack stands in my garage and, I'm worried I will need a torch to get the job done.

Please tell me I'm missing something simple because I have not found one thread where someone was having the same issue.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-27-2011, 01:14 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Never mind.. I got it dialed in. I just went under the car and went ape **** on it.. fell of right away LOL.

I win!
The following users liked this post:
wood78221 (03-14-2021)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Those can be extremely tricky it they have been undisturber for a while. The trick is to soak in a penetrating fluid and slowly working back and forth until they let go. No other way that I can think of.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by taken19
Those can be extremely tricky it they have been undisturber for a while. The trick is to soak in a penetrating fluid and slowly working back and forth until they let go. No other way that I can think of.
Thanks!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 AM
RedZR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!!! Factory X-pipe removal Reply to Thread

Glad it worked out !

If you don't mind, I would be very interested to hear how the install went and your impressions on both the sound and performance the headers provide.

Are you installing converters on it as well? Any other mods to the car?

I am seriously considering a set of headers for my 2008 over the winter and interested to hear about the cost vs. benefit of others experiences.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Liner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just took the h-pipe off my 2006 yesterday. I had a hard time as well and wondered wth?? I'd never seen anyone with an issue before. Like you, I just committed to a lot of pushing and pulling and then I finally saw some movement. For a while there, I thought it had a small weld somewhere that I couldn't see. I thought I was going to trash my mufflers with all of the yanking, rocking and pounding I was doing to it. The over axle pipes from the mufflers were moving all over the place and being under the car, I couldn't really see what the mufflers were doing
Oh well, glad to hear I'm not the only one... I always learn a lot about the car everytime I try something on it.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!! Factory X-pipe removal

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Factory X-pipe removal