C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speak up! New products

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

+1 for:
for seats that are more supportive (hold ya in the seat during 1G turn)
for active rear spoiler
vote for selectable fuel maps (might be a done deal already)
for noise cancellation
Old 01-01-2012, 11:42 AM
theUnknown
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

along with the electronic-dimming headlight lenses, fabricate a molding for the headlight housing to incorporate halos for low, high, and DRL lights that have an OEM look. Possibly have control switch that will give options on how the halos behave?

+1 for
-power license plate flipper...one that does not scrape for us that lowered our cars
Old 01-01-2012, 05:28 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

I would look into some type of vacuum operated relief valve for CAIs. Something like what the import aftermarket offers. That way no one has to worry about water ingestion/hydrolocking. There are several different CAIs so making it universal would require some research but I think you would do very well offering this solution.

Posting from smartphone so I can't supply a link or more detail at the moment.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Res1cue
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Variable inlet restricter for Centrifugal Superchargers

Active electronically controlled to limit air intake into the supercharger to achieve a preset max psi of boost. This is so that you can run supercharger at full speed/efficiency and not worry about over boosting the motor. This will allow for more low end torque like a twin screw. ECS does this now passively with restrictor plates.

Last edited by Res1cue; 01-01-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:20 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hyteck9
A6 Shifter paddles.. what are the biggest complaints here?
they are small and harder to reach when the steering wheel is turned. if they had a bit more size to them, they would be better.

also some companies sell conversions to make one paddle shift up a gear by pulling back( and the other down shifts by pulling back) rather than each doing both functions of up/downshifting by pushing/pulling. The bad part is that it still always uses the stock paddle setup.

If the shift conversion was combined with larger paddles, and the paddles werent oriented so close to the steering wheel to allow for pushing (since youd only need to pull either one back), it would make for a much nicer setup like youd see in a car with a true sequential gearbox.

In the end, I think a set of larger replacement paddles that are just shaped like the stock ones, but a bit longer (so the people with stock setups and the shift conversion setups can both use them) would be a nice cheap upgrade. These exist for other cars, but I have yet to see them for the c6.

Last edited by el es tu; 01-01-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:23 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shado
I would look into some type of vacuum operated relief valve for CAIs. Something like what the import aftermarket offers. That way no one has to worry about water ingestion/hydrolocking. There are several different CAIs so making it universal would require some research but I think you would do very well offering this solution.

Posting from smartphone so I can't supply a link or more detail at the moment.
http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm

http://www.modified.com/tech/0104scc...lve/index.html

This is a pretty common unit for the import crowd, although I think it would be difficult to incorporate this style into the CAIs offered for the C6. Perhaps a smaller pop-open type unit that plugs into a hole drilled into the air box?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

couldnt you just install the AEM universal bypass where the bellows coupler is?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by el es tu
couldnt you just install the AEM universal bypass where the bellows coupler is?
Last I saw, they didn't offer one in a large enough diameter. To be honest, I haven't looked that deep into what's available. I would think (hope?) some of the more intelligent members would have tried to use what's out there by now if something was available, but perhaps not. I just know there's a lot of debate about certain CAIs possibly causing hydrolock so this could be a cheap and easy solution and maybe help stop some of the debates and more importantly the damage.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Don't stop with ideas and opinions for products. Keep it coming!

I will do some "hands on" research with the A6 shift paddles this week. I'm sure any dealer will be OK with a winter test drive.
I want to make sure I have a full grasp on the complaint.
This way I can "feel" the solution is spot on..

(Why start with shift paddles you ask?)

If the shift paddles can really be 'just' a single machined piece (no subassemblies, electronics, etc) I can knock out a few prototypes in a single day and get that ball rolling for el es tu to try out.

as for the push vs. pull , if push-pull alteration kits already exist, I don't want to reinvent a wheel that works.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 AM
meridock
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

As mentioned previously a Cobb Tuning "like" handheld tuner with Base Maps and Real-Time Mapping would be neat, combine it with a full ODBII scanner and data logging. Make it bluetooth capable so it eliminates the cable. Partner up with an app maker like Torque to have gauges and I think you have a neat option. The Predator handheld is a poor excuse of a tuner.

Seats with support - heck a Mitsubishi Evo from 2005 has a better seat. I would go to a Porsche dealership and sit in sport bucket seats in the Turbo "Sport bucket seats made of fiberglass reinforced plastics (FGRP) and carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP), surface with visible carbon, leather covered folding backrest with manual length adjustment."

For a ***** to the wall request... Dual Clutch tranny like the PDK in a Porsche.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 PM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

hmm yea, I think developing a 2c-PDK might be beyond the investment- level being considered right now.

Interesting choice though.

Is lateral support the big complaint for the seats? (is it otherwise comfy?)
Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 PM
meridock
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Well I did say "***** to the wall!" I had the G8 GT with the same A6 transmission as the current vette. it was horrible. the transmission is the one failing performance part I see in the vette. the A6 is the same tranny as in many of the non-sporting cars GM makes. A proper flappy paddle with features like rev-match, automatic mode befit this car. I prefer the M6 I have over anything GM has in automatic, but almost all "good" sports cars have a good sporty transmission option other than a manual. (SMG, PDK, DCT)

I have an LT1 car, so I don't even have things like Lumbar adjustments, but in general I feel the seat is "ok" in comfort, but lacks support in the thigh region, and for lateral support. My seats in particular are lacking lumbar, but I hear the sport seats have that, and nothing else.

I have always liked the JDM OEM Recaro from Subaru though -

or

Lastly... an interesting adventure could be to work with recaro direct http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/...uct/speed.html - "RECARO offers a custom cover and top stitching service for the Expert seat. Using upholstery you provide, RECARO will make a custom cover for your new Expert seat. Custom cover upholstery must be cloth or leather and must pass RECARO’s inspection for quality and use in an automotive seating application. " You could do the seat brackets with the CNC machine. Offer two or three colors to match the current vette interior options as direct replacement, (instead of competing on the custom side with people like DSV, Carvaggio(sp?))

Alcantara fabric and leather would be my choice.

===============

That being said one more thing I thought of... a way to rev match in the M6 transmission like the Nissan 370z - I don't pretend to heel toe down shift, so this would be a neat option.

Last edited by meridock; 01-03-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by meridock
Well I did say "***** to the wall!" I had the G8 GT with the same A6 transmission as the current vette. it was horrible. the transmission is the one failing performance part I see in the vette. the A6 is the same tranny as in many of the non-sporting cars GM makes. A proper flappy paddle with features like rev-match, automatic mode befit this car. I prefer the M6 I have over anything GM has in automatic, but almost all "good" sports cars have a good sporty transmission option other than a manual. (SMG, PDK, DCT)

I have an LT1 car, so I don't even have things like Lumbar adjustments, but in general I feel the seat is "ok" in comfort, but lacks support in the thigh region, and for lateral support. My seats in particular are lacking lumbar, but I hear the sport seats have that, and nothing else.

I have always liked the JDM OEM Recaro from Subaru though -

or

Lastly... an interesting adventure could be to work with recaro direct http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/...uct/speed.html - "RECARO offers a custom cover and top stitching service for the Expert seat. Using upholstery you provide, RECARO will make a custom cover for your new Expert seat. Custom cover upholstery must be cloth or leather and must pass RECARO’s inspection for quality and use in an automotive seating application. " You could do the seat brackets with the CNC machine. Offer two or three colors to match the current vette interior options as direct replacement, (instead of competing on the custom side with people like DSV, Carvaggio(sp?))

Alcantara fabric and leather would be my choice.

===============

That being said one more thing I thought of... a way to rev match in the M6 transmission like the Nissan 370z - I don't pretend to heel toe down shift, so this would be a neat option.
Recaro Pole Position

Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Well there you go...

Looks like there are seats that fit in the vette. Does this solve everyone's WANTS for a new seat? If so I will focus efforts elsewhere.

Also, I drove an A6 last night. I agree the paddles are yucky. A bit shallow, push-pull is confusing, and seemed completely worthless if you are mid-turn.

I have a few ideas how to redesign...
Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

It's not the availability of the seats--it's the pricetag. There are a ton of different aftermarket seat options but the $5,000-8000 cost is the biggest deterrent. They don't have to be an engineering marvel, but an affordable seat that is lightweight and provides good support would be desirable.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinjor
It's not the availability of the seats--it's the pricetag. There are a ton of different aftermarket seat options but the $5,000-8000 cost is the biggest deterrent. They don't have to be an engineering marvel, but an affordable seat that is lightweight and provides good support would be desirable.
Quality does not come cheap, I'm afraid ...
Old 01-04-2012, 10:40 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald
Quality does not come cheap, I'm afraid ...
Agreed, but the current prices are a little extreme to all but the deepest of pockets. I suppose that's the corvette tax at work, but perhaps I'm way off base.

Get notified of new replies

To Speak up! New products

Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 PM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

those recaro pole position seats are $750 online...

I'm happy to help, but unless I'm missing a zero someplace, I still don't see the problem?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:17 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Hm, that's the first I've heard of them. I'll have to check them out. Thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 01:28 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Recaro pole position seats have been around for a while and are really nice but expensive. If you want something cheaper, you can buy a set of recaro copies and have them reupholstered for probably less than the cost of one real recaro. Just be sure of what you are buying and look for reviews. Some companies make decent knockoffs, while others make pretty shoddy quality seats.

sparco does make some nice lower price seats in the 300 to 400 dollar range (per seat) - a few are even fia homologated. The best thing you can do is not get an adjustable back 2 piece seat. a single piece bucket will offer more support and is safer (especially if you are going with a knockoff brand). If you weight more, or have larger passengers, you may want to test the fit ahead of time. some of the racign buckets are pretty uncomfortable for larger folks - at the same time you want it tight enough to support whatever your size. I have been considering getting some racing buckets in the future that are a bit larger (so anyone can use the seats) and transplanting the oe seats' inflatable side bolsters to the racing buckets so it can be tightened up enough to hold me in place or loosened up for others if/when necessary.

Last edited by el es tu; 01-04-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Speak up! New products