C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speak up! New products

Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Speak up! New products

Have you been driving around in your vette and at some point thought, "I wish it did 'THIS'" or "I wish it had "THAT" or "This would work so much better IF"...

Well good news. I have had some of those same thoughts.
And I want to start making those ideas instead of just thinking about them...

My computer company had a great year in 2011 and in 2012 I can branch out into R&D of race products of all sorts. So speak up!

I'll chime in later with my thoughts but I don't want to hinder creativity. Anything goes. simple to complex.

Tech/Performance is the majority interest just because it "might" actually sell enough to cover the develpment cost, but I'll take cosmetic or feature rich ideas too. Realistically volume of crazy gadgets and tech would be too low to really profit, but I have 2 vettes and I'm really doing it for the fun/passion of it.

So what are your thoughts?
(Feel free to IM me if you have a super secret product desire you don't want to share with the public. Let's see if we can build it!)
Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What race products have you successfully R&D'd in the past?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 PM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

great question... no products what-so-ever.
This will be a new venture for my company.

I don't expect to compete with big name shops like Callaway. I also don't really want too. I'm not looking to make "more of the same thing" like cold air intakes or a new set of headers.

I have a unique once in a lifetime opportunity to build whatever the heck I want. With today's design software, 5-axis CNC machines, etc. there really aren't any limits. Even vacu-forming and casting is a breeze compared to what it used to be.

What would you build? (I immediately thought.. Corvette stuff!)
Old 12-28-2011, 12:53 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This isn't meant to be offensive, but I don't think anyone is really going to waste much time with this thread.

If you have the time, money and if this is for some reason a once in a lifetime opportunity (although I don't know why it would be), go ahead and make something.

If you actually want to know what the Corvette needs it's an affordable aftermarket seat that fits.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 12-28-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:12 PM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

OK, I have one vote for SEATS

Which, come to think of it, I'm amazed no company has tackled this yet given all the complaints

(..and the rare part is being able to spend the money on R&D without concern of profit.. breaking even is ideal and losses are actually expected)

Last edited by hyteck9; 12-28-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:14 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

A computer controlled (based on oil temp from OBDII port or oil temp sensor) ZO6/ZR1 Oil Cooler. Something that will restrict part of the airflow to the oli cooler until the oil temp is at a specified level to promote faster warm up.

It must:
1. not restrict airflow when fully open.
2. go to fully open unless told to restrice airflow.
3. have a bypass switch to keep it fully open.
4. be easy install.
5. give feedback to driver of current position/level of restriction.
6. be compatible with aftermarket blower intercoolers.

This is more for the daily driver crowd, racers probably don't need/want this.

Last edited by CGZO6; 12-28-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:32 PM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Ah ha!!!!!
Nice. Now we are getting somewhere.
One vote for an inteligent oil cooler.
with:
Default full-open position (w/ override)
ODBII intercept
Driver selectable "activation temp."
display/indicator of % restriceted.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:27 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see a front bumper cover for the regular C6 that allows you to bolt on the OEM Z06 splitter.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 PM
matt_lowry123
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I vote for seats too!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:50 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

OK, that is 2 votes for seats,
1 for inteligent oil cooler
1 for front splitter.

Now that we have a few ideas coming in, I will toss out some of mine that I was thinking about...

1. speed controlled spoiler. Much like the inteligent oil cooler idea, this would intercept OBDII data and increase downfoce with speed at a rate selectable by the user. It would also detect hard braking and go full-on in such conditions. (WiFi / Blutooth programmable from your iPhone/Android)

2. electronic-dimming headlight lenses. Just like it sounds. You flip a switch the covers black-out just like KnightRider's windows did on the show. It is now readily available technology but illegal for car windows... Could be partial or full, even have designs.

3. Power License plate flipper that doesn't jam, scrape, suck. 'nuff said.

4. Momentary AWD system. PROS: It would launch your vette with all four wheels and go RWD once out of first hear. CONS: Could not be used hotlapping at a 1/4 strip because of the recovery time needed inbetween uses. It would also add weight, all be it very low to the ground.

5. Belt driven electric assist. (An idea I had that turns out is new GM technology but not available for the corvette currently) At idle and at highway cruise speeds (virtually no load), the battery can drive a small electric accessory motor so you don't waste any fuel... until you apply load or battery starts to get too low.

Keep the ideas coming... and let me know your thoughts on my 5. I will ultimately pick 1 or two based on popularity/feasibilty.

Last edited by hyteck9; 12-29-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I know this is a Corvette Forum, but I have a few friends that bought the new Camaro. When they ride in my Vet I always get asked were I bought my sun visor warning label layover decal. OP this maybe something to look into. Good Luck!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:35 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

on the seats.

The other stuff sounds cool too but how in the heck do you plan on adding AWD to the vette? The engine is up front, the tranny and diff is in the rear--how do you plan on adding a 2nd diff up front?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Res1cue
Burning Brakes

Default Active Noise Cancellation

Use the Active Noise Cancellation module from the 2010+ GMC Terrain into a retrofit for the C6. This could be used to cancel exhaust drone for after market exhaust systems, road noise and maybe help with buffeting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em8sduOTYYM

As you can see it already exists just needs to be retrofitted into our cars.

Last edited by Res1cue; 12-29-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 PM
matt_lowry123
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

The speed control spoiler would be pretty cool depending on what it looked like and cost. I'm still going for seats and not some that cost 4k either. I think that's a crazy price and would rather ride on my torn seat.

Originally Posted by hyteck9
OK, that is 2 votes for seats,
1 for inteligent oil cooler
1 for front splitter.

Now that we have a few ideas coming in, I will toss out some of mine that I was thinking about...

1. speed controlled spoiler. Much like the inteligent oil cooler idea, this would intercept OBDII data and increase downfoce with speed at a rate selectable by the user. It would also detect hard braking and go full-on in such conditions. (WiFi / Blutooth programmable from your iPhone/Android)

2. electronic-dimming headlight lenses. Just like it sounds. You flip a switch the covers black-out just like KnightRider's windows did on the show. It is now readily available technology but illegal for car windows... Could be partial or full, even have designs.

3. Power License plate flipper that doesn't jam, scrape, suck. 'nuff said.

4. Momentary AWD system. PROS: It would launch your vette with all four wheels and go RWD once out of first hear. CONS: Could not be used hotlapping at a 1/4 strip because of the recovery time needed inbetween uses. It would also add weight, all be it very low to the ground.

5. Belt driven electric assist. (An idea I had that turns out is new GM technology but not available for the corvette currently) At idle and at highway cruise speeds (virtually no load), the battery can drive a small electric accessory motor so you don't waste any fuel... until you apply load or battery starts to get too low.

Keep the ideas coming... and let me know your thoughts on my 5. I will ultimately pick 1 or two based on popularity/feasibilty.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:40 PM
99_roadster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would vote for a good looking, reasonably priced aftermarket steering wheel. Or at least controls reversed so audio controls are on left hand side so I can control music when my right hand is on the shifter.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 AM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote for the powered license plate flipper, but one specifically for cars that have the ZR1 front splitter. (no one makes one) .
Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 AM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

I would love to see someone build a programable computer which would store multiple programs.

Examples:
1) one program for normal street driving and another for more aggressive driving.( different shift points and pressure setting for A6's)
2) one program for NA...another program for Nitrous.
3) one for 91 or 93 octane another for 110 octane.

Maybe adding a seperate cpu and harness with a switching mechanism of some sort.

Last edited by theofel; 12-30-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Speak up! New products

Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gering
I know this is a Corvette Forum, but I have a few friends that bought the new Camaro. When they ride in my Vet I always get asked were I bought my sun visor warning label layover decal. OP this maybe something to look into. Good Luck!
Pic please...
Old 12-30-2011, 09:36 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Justinjor
on the seats.

The other stuff sounds cool too but how in the heck do you plan on adding AWD to the vette? The engine is up front, the tranny and diff is in the rear--how do you plan on adding a 2nd diff up front?
Who said anything about a 2nd diff?

Lots of ways to spin a wheel you know...
Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theofel
I would love to see someone build a programable computer which would store multiple programs.

Examples:
1) one program for normal street driving and another for more aggressive driving.( different shift points and pressure setting for A6's)
2) one program for NA...another program for Nitrous.
3) one for 91 or 93 octane another for 110 octane.

Maybe adding a seperate cpu and harness with a switching mechanism of some sort.

I'm pretty sure this can be done with any laptop. I used to tune my Subaru for 93 octane vs. E85 high boost all the time. ( Using free open-source software ) I will review ls1tech and see what is available these days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speak up! New products