C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-11-2015, 01:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C6 HOW-TO INSTALL a convertible top. It's easy. Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default More

Put the top down and install the front metal rubber door glass seal retainer. Make sure the oval end of the Tension Cable is in its spot now because this metal retainer holds the cable end in place.

Install the 3 Torx screws

Slide the rubber seal into retainer. Pic below is of pass side.

MORE TO COME
Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default More

Install the rear piece of door seal retainer with 3
Torx screws.

Slide in the the rubber seal.

Put this seal back in and your done.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default Done

I hope this helps someone out. Not a very hard install at all. No glue needed. If I've left anything out please add it. I hope all the pics didn't lock to many computers. I've been waiting for this last big word.
Done
THANKS RAYZZZ MY CORVETTE LIKES MY MONEY
Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Way to go. My hat is off to you for tackling this yourself and thanks for taking the time to post up the how to. It's a hassle to take pics during the job and take all the time to post up.

I swapped out my tan top on my c5 to a black one, I like the black top much better.
The top shop that did mine told me my spots on my tan top were from using top sealer before the top was completely dry. There were two another Vettes in there for the same thing...one tan and one black and the black one had purple spots. I have never used top sealer on my black topped Vette and the top still looks great.

My c6 looks like yours now except I have black wheels, in case you're thinking about changing to black wheels, here's how it looks. I have black GrandSport emblems now too but no pics.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Way to go. My hat is off to you for tackling this yourself and thanks for taking the time to post up the how to. It's a hassle to take pics during the job and take all the time to post up.

I swapped out my tan top on my c5 to a black one, I like the black top much better.
The top shop that did mine told me my spots on my tan top were from using top sealer before the top was completely dry. There were two another Vettes in there for the same thing...one tan and one black and the black one had purple spots. I have never used top sealer on my black topped Vette and the top still looks great.

My c6 looks like yours now except I have black wheels, in case you're thinking about changing to black wheels, here's how it looks. I have black GrandSport emblems now too but no pics.

I haven't decided on sealing my top yet because I just installed it and haven't got to it. After hearing from you may not seal it. I sealed my tan top and when it got stains they wouldn't come out. Your car looks great and I bet the GrandSport emblem blacked out does look great. I hope you don't mind me saying but front side makers clear would make it. COOL Ride Man.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Rayzzz
I haven't decided on sealing my top yet because I just installed it and haven't got to it. After hearing from you may not seal it. I sealed my tan top and when it got stains they wouldn't come out. Your car looks great and I bet the GrandSport emblem blacked out does look great. I hope you don't mind me saying but front side makers clear would make it. COOL Ride Man.
If you do decide to seal it, the top shop told me to wait at least a day after washing before sealing. But my top is 6 years old and still looks new, no sealer. And mine is a daily driver with 60k miles.

You might be right about those marker lights...maybe blackout? What do you think. You have good taste on mods in my opinion. Are the markers hard to change?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Are the markers hard to change?
Don't mean to butt in but here's a DIY:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...t-removal.html
Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default Joe G

Joe G Blacked out would look good with all the black you have now but clear does blend in with the clear C6 headlights. I went clear because a lot of people get a hard time about blackout lights. No problems with my clear ones yet. I just didn't like the amber on the side of my car but the red rears I can live with.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:25 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Wow...you are one gutsy sob...good job and thanks for posting all those pics. Great info for the forum.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Congratulations on a great job, Rayzzzz!
I replaced a tan top with a black one on my C4. iT'S amazing how similar the tops are with 15 years difference in age! Like you, I did it myself, using online guides to help. I think the black top looks a lot better.
I'm envious of your install. It looks like you could reuse a lot of the weatherstrip! Mine was glued on and I had to destroy it to get it off. New weatherstrip is expensive!!
Sharp looking vert!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Right Click, Save. Nice job and to me that black top looks so much better...

I sealed my top many miles ago with RagTopp and still looks great today pushing 70,000 miles.

2008 Vert

Owned since new in 2007

www.c6c7vette.com
Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post! I just did the same thing to my 2008 vert with tan top. Your post gave me courage to get it done! Thanks. Its "memory crease marks" that make the dark stain looking marks.
I talked to the owner of HAARTZ corp. that makes the material. He is very aware of the issue. GM is aware as they stopped production of the light colored tops for several months back when. Tried to do a correction and I guess said to heck with that and started production back up with the same issues in light colored tops. The owner of Haartz corp. blamed it on the car design. BULL. My NEW black top started these same marks after two hours of being in the down position. Just not noticable unless you know what to look for.

Last edited by Ketchum; 10-09-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Is there a lot of difference in the process if the car is equipped with a power top?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default Mine Is Power top

My car does have the power top so just go with my How-To. Not sure if it's Diff If It would have manual top.
Originally Posted by Flame Red
Is there a lot of difference in the process if the car is equipped with a power top?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:02 AM
rikster06
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ment to say overall convertible top guy sorry typo
Old 11-23-2016, 08:39 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Great instructions. Did you have any instructions you worked from? I can't find this in the GM manual. Is there a PDF available of the GM instructions?

By the way, I've posted instruction on replacing the headliner here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html
Old 12-06-2016, 12:25 PM
NVaughn
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How-To Tuesday

Seems like a perfect topic for How-To Tuesday...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...ble-top-368446

Get notified of new replies

To C6 HOW-TO INSTALL a convertible top. It's easy. Pics

Old 10-16-2017, 04:06 PM
derf23437
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure wish the pictures were still active. This is an excellent guide and I plan on replacing my top but I'm sure it would be easier (and more stupid proof) if the pictures were visible. Hope the words will be enough. Thanks for the guide though..
Old 10-16-2017, 04:20 PM
edcologne
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by derf23437
Sure wish the pictures were still active. This is an excellent guide and I plan on replacing my top but I'm sure it would be easier (and more stupid proof) if the pictures were visible. Hope the words will be enough. Thanks for the guide though..
maybe this works...

part 1 of 2
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
stavanger (03-11-2020)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:22 PM
edcologne
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by derf23437
part 2 of 2

copied that a long time ago, figured it might come handy at some point
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by edcologne:
derf23437 (10-16-2017), stavanger (03-11-2020)

Quick Reply: C6 HOW-TO INSTALL a convertible top. It's easy. Pics