C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 LS2 to dry sump LS3 swap ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Justinjor
Sounds like a plan to me.

Ya, I was considering attending some HDPEs at Sebring to learn the road course aspect of driving, but the LS3 oil starvation scared me away. I didn't have the coin to drop $5,000 on a proper dry sump setup and I didn't want to trade my car in for a Grand Sport which is so much heavier than my coupe. I can't remember the thread I posted in, but WhiteKnight was very helpful and was the one who originally mentioned the oiling issues with the LS3. I had big plans of a cam, bolt-ons etc, but he swore up and down that it would break if I took it to a road course and held a sustained left hand turn with any kind of lateral G forces applied.

I decided I'd focus on the dragstrip and, well, it seems to be working so far. I just want 1 more cool day to see if I can squeeze out a 10.6@130 and take the top spot in my category.

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I'll absolutely be needing a clutch in this thing-maybe we can plan for it sometime in April? I won't be able to dragrace the car after the clutch install of course, but maybe we can see about the road course and take a raincheck on the dragstrip? I've never actually had someone in my car at the dragstrip as I don't have a second helmet and usually the seat is removed. I'm sure we can figure something out though.

I'll definitely be needing a mini-vacation after this tax season--perhaps a road trip to the east coast is just the ticket.
I think with the right DA and your new Hp, a 10.6 @ 130 is just a matter of time.

I was trying to explain to the wife that this is a great chance to build a motor for TT and/or competition now but it may get pricey. The dry sump was just a dream til the motor went out on me, now it's one of the key components I'm aiming for. Forged everything, ARP everywhere, a little less cam (yes, I know....) and dry sump is the plan now in the name of reliability. Should still make 450+ rwhp, especially if I go with a 403 stroker...

I'm on vacation from 4/17-4/29 tentatively. Timing may work out perfect for your clutch swap. I don't think my car will be back on the road yet, but we can roll it out of the garage and slide yours in for a day or two. If that doesn't work for you, maybe I can convince the wife to let me head north to you for a couple days.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Mmmmm stroker motor...

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me. I think the timing will be pretty good as well. It's not that hard of a job, right? Anything else I should buy while the drivetrain is out? remote bleeder, transmission mount, ...?

Quick Reply: 2005 LS2 to dry sump LS3 swap ?'s