C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/Cons Edelbrock Supercharger / 2011 Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Blauenstein
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros/Cons Edelbrock Supercharger / 2011 Grand Sport

Hi all, I am thinking about putting in an Edelbrock E-Force supercharger on my 2011 Grand Sport. The fact that there are 2800 possible error codes and the sensitivity around the tuning kind of scare me a little bit. Would welcome any comments on reliability, performance and other issues experienced with this supercharger or alternative options, respectively
Old 03-29-2012, 11:23 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the error codes as long as someone who knows what they are doing installs it.

have you looked into and A&A or ECS blower? easier power curve for the street and much cheaper to install and tune...and to take off and resell.

something to look into.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If the eforce is tuned properly it is great. No error codes or any issues here in 6000 miles.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:38 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Responded in general discussion thread
Old 03-29-2012, 04:18 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Blauenstein
Hi all, I am thinking about putting in an Edelbrock E-Force supercharger on my 2011 Grand Sport. The fact that there are 2800 possible error codes and the sensitivity around the tuning kind of scare me a little bit. Would welcome any comments on reliability, performance and other issues experienced with this supercharger or alternative options, respectively
Hello,

The tuning isn't an issue because the kit comes with a tune from Edlebrock that's better than any tuner can do on his own.

Get the supercharger!

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 03-29-2012, 05:21 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Responded in general discussion thread
Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KB9GKC
Hello,

The tuning isn't an issue because the kit comes with a tune from Edlebrock that's better than any tuner can do on his own.
I guess we know who we can check off as "don't take advice from this guy anymore"
Old 03-30-2012, 08:31 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I guess we know who we can check off as "don't take advice from this guy anymore"

Was kind of puzzled when I first read that. I thought maybe it was a joke.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Blauenstein
Boosting an engine not built for it is a risk. GM does not just slap a blower on an LS3 for its boosted offerings.

The Edelbrock kit is a decent one, we offer it with perks for a good deal. I would look into the supplemental warranty Eddy offers with it.
It has 3 different level of coverage and unless your made of money its a good cover your butt program should anything go wrong.

Personally I would build the bottom end proper before boosting but I now so many people don't. for the most part as long as you keep the boost low and don't beat on it your being safer.. But we're rebuilding someones E-Froce engine right now who didn't beat on it....

little bad gas is all it takes to get some detonation and when that happens it effects the piston... get it happening one to many times and the piston shatters and the rod takes out the block. That is a real potential.. the engine has improper compression to be running boost ... but again low boost people get away with.. and then some dont..

that is the most honest answer you will get.... its a risk plain and simple.. there is a real good markup on s/c kits so there is a good reason to sell them and pimp them but the risk is real. I cant in good conscience sell a s/c kit without explaining all that.

That being said there are bandaids like a meth kit to help with this. But the more systems you add the more points of failure potential.

Meth kit + Eddy supplemental warranty is what i would look into if your going to do it. We can set you up with it all for a good deal if your interested.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:59 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Hello,

Edlebrock spent hundreds of hours on the dyno getting it right. What other tuner has spent hundreds of hours tuning the Edelbrock supercharger with the C6 Corvette?

15 years ago it was more reasonable to have even your stock Corvette tuned on an individual basis because the HP output varied from car to car. Todays engines are built to tight tolerances and actual HP results are nearly identical but read higher or lower because of inacurate dyno numbers

If your engine needs additional tuning beyond the Edelbrock Supercharger tune then you should inspect the engine compression, plugs, injectors, valves etc.

Hope this helps,

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 03-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Hello,

Get the supercharger!

Douglas in Green Bay

Hello,

Edlebrock spent hundreds of hours on the dyno getting it right. What other tuner has spent hundreds of hours tuning the Edelbrock supercharger with the C6 Corvette?

15 years ago it was more reasonable to have even your stock Corvette tuned on an individual basis because the HP output varied from car to car. Todays engines are built to tight tolerances and actual HP results are nearly identical but read higher or lower because of inacurate dyno numbers

If your engine needs additional tuning beyond the Edelbrock Supercharger tune then you should inspect the engine compression, plugs, injectors, valves etc.

Hope this helps,

Douglas in Green Bay
The tune that is supplied is just a basic tune so the car can run. It doesn't take into account other mods that may be done. If it doesn't have any other mods done its still not gonna be the best tune for performance or driveablility. You seem to think so, so no use in arguing with you.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Hello,

Get the supercharger!

Douglas in Green Bay
Probably the most insane post I've seen on this forum in years.

Hello,

Hope this helps,

Douglas in Green Bay
Equally insane and insulting to any qualified tuner. I'd never use a canned tune if I have access to a good tuner. Every car is different, period. Each will benefit from a custom tune. As already mentioned, you've overqualified yourself as someone not to listen to with regards to tuning. Hope this helps!

San
Old 03-30-2012, 07:33 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Insane really...explain why...
Old 03-30-2012, 07:54 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troller399
A canned tune is a best guess for a lot of different cars in different conditions. A good tuner can get it dialed in closer for a particular car/customer's needs. Insane maybe an exaggeration, naive or ignorant would probably be better.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by troller399
A canned tune from Edlebrock is better than ANY tuner can do (Lingenfelter, Katech, LG, ECS, on and on not to disrespect any good tuner, etc.)? I really have to 'splain this? This ain't chess.

San
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Actually the canned Edlebrock tune is pretty damn good as long as you use it for what it was built for....an otherwise 100% stock car.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:36 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Actually the canned Edlebrock tune is pretty damn good as long as you use it for what it was built for....an otherwise 100% stock car.
But I think you'd be the first to admit a custom tune by a good tuner is better, right? Do you have the canned tune?

San

Get notified of new replies

To Pros/Cons Edelbrock Supercharger / 2011 Grand Sport

Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmansan
But I think you'd be the first to admit a custom tune by a good tuner is better, right? Do you have the canned tune?

San
I guess it depends on your definition of better. If you mean from the perspective of eeking more horsepower out of the tune...of course there is some left on the table. The Edelbrock tune has plenty of conservatism in it. There is always room to tweak fuel, spark, torque and trans values but typically these come at the expense of longevity and unfortunately, often come with drive-ability issues. I've gone back in and retuned two Edelbrocks that were "custom dyno tuned" and had drive-ability issues after the tune. Oh and both of those came from vendors mentioned in an earlier thread. I've also fixed probably a half dozen amateur hacked "tunes" on the Edelbrock...each of those were totally AFU!

Can a custom tune be better? Sure...is it $500 better than the tune you already paid for in the box? I guess it depends on your definition of better.

There is also the question of what happens to the additional cost warranty Edelbrock offers if you choose to purchase it and then had the car custom tuned. I think it goes bye-bye.

As for me running a canned tune. Not a fair question as the car has a different size pulley, larger injectors, a cam, headers, and a 160 t-stat. I did start with the tune from the box though and built from there. There are two others that I've put together that are running 100% stock canned tunes on otherwise 100% stock cars and both owners are supremely happy with the results.

From where I stand I see custom tuning a 100% otherwise stock car that has the Edelbrock canned tune just about equal to tuning a 100% stock GM off the line Corvette which shipped with a 100% GM developed canned tune. Sure there is more there when done properly...but is it worth it? Personally I don' think it is worth the expense.

Change the car's setup though (headers, cam, etc.) and of course the tune has to change.

My two cents worth
Old 03-30-2012, 09:14 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

I guess it depends on your definition of better. If you mean from the perspective of eeking more horsepower out of the tune...of course there is some left on the table. The Edelbrock tune has plenty of conservatism in it. There is always room to tweak fuel, spark, torque and trans values but typically these come at the expense of longevity and unfortunately, often come with drive-ability issues. I've gone back in and retuned two Edelbrocks that were "custom dyno tuned" and had drive-ability issues after the tune. Oh and both of those came from vendors mentioned in an earlier thread. I've also fixed probably a half dozen amateur hacked "tunes" on the Edelbrock...each of those were totally AFU!

Can a custom tune be better? Sure...is it $500 better than the tune you already paid for in the box? I guess it depends on your definition of better.

There is also the question of what happens to the additional cost warranty Edelbrock offers if you choose to purchase it and then had the car custom tuned. I think it goes bye-bye.

As for me running a canned tune. Not a fair question as the car has a different size pulley, larger injectors, a cam, headers, and a 160 t-stat. I did start with the tune from the box though and built from there. There are two others that I've put together that are running 100% stock canned tunes on otherwise 100% stock cars and both owners are supremely happy with the results.

From where I stand I see custom tuning a 100% otherwise stock car that has the Edelbrock canned tune just about equal to tuning a 100% stock GM off the line Corvette which shipped with a 100% GM developed canned tune. Sure there is more there when done properly...but is it worth it? Personally I don' think it is worth the expense.

Change the car's setup though (headers, cam, etc.) and of course the tune has to change.

My two cents worth
A great response. I didn't expect you to sugercoat anything. I took issue that the stock canned tune was claimed to be "better than any other tuner could achieve". A tall order.

I would also add that even same model year cars with the same specifications are different. Sometimes slightly different, sometimes significantly different. Factory freak comes to mind.

San
Old 03-31-2012, 05:37 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Hello,

That's correct, the original question was about adding Edelbrock supercharger to a stock C6 Corvette. And the answer I gave was and is the best advice.

Sure a good tuner could still gain a few more horsepower with the Edelbrock Supercharger but at the cost of engine longevity and possible drivability.

The C6 A6 is an excellent example, people like to disable the torque management. And if they drive aggressively they will be buying transmissions.

Bottom line: Some people are willing to sacrifice longevity for an extra 10 hp bragging rights. Many of us on the forum are not!

Hope this helps the gentleman who original posted.

Douglas in Green Bay

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons Edelbrock Supercharger / 2011 Grand Sport