C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harmonic balancer/damper

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 PM
cryoman07
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just talked to the head service rep at my local dealer. Also said no, put told me to call 1-800-chevusa. He suggested in trying to get them to pay for it because its a minimum one month wait.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:34 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just called GM, they wont cover the aftermarked unit, but they will call me back soon to discuss my "options"...

Originally Posted by cryoman07
Just talked to the head service rep at my local dealer. Also said no, put told me to call 1-800-chevusa. He suggested in trying to get them to pay for it because its a minimum one month wait.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
montereyredvette
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

Called my Dealer today to and asked how long to get the new part....he said they have one in stock...I asked how long its been there...he has no idea, I tell him there is a new replacement part and in the States there is a 2 week backlog.....again he has no clue. So I ask him to check the part number and see if it is different from the original part. He says the new one has a different number and assured me this is the latest newest part available. Well I'm not 100% convinced but I booked to get it done next wednesday. All I gotta say is IT BETTER NOT HAVE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST WOBBLE!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:26 PM
cryoman07
Intermediate

What's the New part number??? The parts department isn't aware of this new part. Also opened a space case
Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM
montereyredvette
Racer

Didn't think to ask for the number. To be honest...unless this balancer is made in Canada....I can't see us getting it before you guys. That being said, I just want my car fixed, if it f...ks up again....we'll be in for another fight. The fact that there is a new part would be an admission that the old part was faulty, tilting the field to our advantage.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 AM
farmerbeau
Heel & Toe

I broke down and learned how to do the install myself. I used to install camshafts in late model GM trucks (Gen III) in college for beer money so I had a little experience with these engines. GM won't do anything for you if your warranty is out. Mine's an 07 and the belts started squeaking with 38k miles... Go figure. The pulley wobbled much worse than my stock truck pulley.

A few weeks ago, I used the money I would have paid the dealership to replace the pulley and invested in an ATI unit with an ARP crank bolt. I threw a Torquer V.2 camshaft in while I was in there. (I'll be damned if I did all that work and didn't get any performance gains out of it.) The ATI is a nice piece and I must admit it seems like its smoother as it runs through the rpm band. My only complaint is the directions ATI sent were kind of vague and caused me to assume a thing or two. My bolts were different than the ones in the directions and there aren't any diagrams to assist the weekend wrencher.

It's a bite of poop sandwich that we paid for one of the best cars GM has to offer and belts squeal like a 1975 Hoopty. GM really needs to address this issue and make this right. I spent a good 20 hours of work (interruptions, phone calls, trips to the parts store, cleaning the dirty engine bay while parts were moved, etc.) because GM has ignored a flawed design.

Sorry for the rant. I hope GM makes this right for you and it doesn't happen again.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:35 PM
cryoman07
Intermediate

Still no word on my car. its to the point I'm not sure whether to be pissed or super pissed lol
Old 04-08-2012, 01:46 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I spoke to my service underwriter and he is assuring me that he will be able to deliver mine on time ... Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:01 PM
cryoman07
Intermediate

Ah... Well now I need to go raise hell. Only word I got was maybe a month.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:26 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I yanked my pos GM pulley and installed an aftermarket product. The last thing I wanted to do was spend the time to tear back into it if/when another GM pully gives out.

This issue has been going on for years. Thinking the "revised" pulley will be any different/better is probably wishfull thinking at best IMHO.

Any parts that fail prematurely and are difficult to R&R like pulleys, fuel pumps etc I would go aftermarket. It just makes no sense to install another flawed product.

The 10% UD powerbond pulley (avail in oem size also) I installed last year has been going strong for 8k miles now on a forced induction car.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:03 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

I called GM customer care. They got involved, now the estimated date of delivery is Monday, Tues or Wed of this week. They have been great with me. GM calls me every day with updates.
Ah... Well now I need to go raise hell. Only word I got was maybe a month.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 PM
bandit69
Advanced

Wow I thought I was the only person out there waiting weeks for a replacement part. The last date I got from my service rep is 4/18 nearly a month after getting the car in. With that and being two months past 5 years I am pissed. $1,500 hurts, a month wait really hurts, but having to drive my nephew's 199? Honda accord SUCKS!!!!

Maybe a letter to GM will help with the $, but nothing will make driving that honda any better.

-Paul
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Here is the latest:
GM is receiving the new part(420 of them) on 4/13, then will ship to dealers first who have cars in the shop awaiting repair. According to the GM rep, the know the balancers are an issue which is why they are using a new vendor to manufacture them.

Originally Posted by bandit69
Wow I thought I was the only person out there waiting weeks for a replacement part. The last date I got from my service rep is 4/18 nearly a month after getting the car in. With that and being two months past 5 years I am pissed. $1,500 hurts, a month wait really hurts, but having to drive my nephew's 199? Honda accord SUCKS!!!!

Maybe a letter to GM will help with the $, but nothing will make driving that honda any better.

-Paul
Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 PM
cryoman07
Intermediate

It has been 19 days since I brought my car in. And my warranty was up the first of March missed factory warranty by days!! The dealership did give me a super gay Ford fiesta until. So the pain is felt by many.....
Old 04-11-2012, 11:24 PM
bandit69
Advanced

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
Here is the latest:
GM is receiving the new part(420 of them) on 4/13, then will ship to dealers first who have cars in the shop awaiting repair. According to the GM rep, the know the balancers are an issue which is why they are using a new vendor to manufacture them.
Coincidence or not???
420, 4:20, or 4/20 (pronounced four-twenty) refers to consumption of cannabis and, by extension, a way to identify oneself with cannabis subculture. Observances based on the number include the time (4:20 p.m.) as well as the date (April 20).[1]
Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 PM
bandit69
Advanced

It has been 19 days since I brought my car in. And my warranty was up the first of March missed factory warranty by days!! The dealership did give me a super gay Ford fiesta until. So the pain is felt by many.....
At least that is a late model super gay Ford fiesta, I got nada, nothing, sorry no loaner for that long sir....

Just trying to cheer us all up....

-Paul
Old 04-12-2012, 10:11 AM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

GM is working out a compensation plan for me because by the time the car is ready it will be a month. I told them I wasn't interested in discount oil change coupons...Since I have a note on the car, I told them I would appreciate compensation of one months payment. Lets see how they work this out...

Originally Posted by bandit69
At least that is a late model super gay Ford fiesta, I got nada, nothing, sorry no loaner for that long sir....

Just trying to cheer us all up....

-Paul

Get notified of new replies

To harmonic balancer/damper

Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM
montereyredvette
Racer

Got mine done today.The part number is 12635652, can anyone verify if this is the new and improved balancer? Also if your out of warranty speak to the Service Manager for some "Goodwill". I got 25% off, but I'm not done, pushing for a full refund.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

as i posted in the general section, according to GM customer service, the first batch(420 of them) of new and improved balancers are shipping from the manufacturer on 4/13. Once GM gets them, they will ship to dealers awaiting the part.
GM is working out a compensation plan for me because by the time the car is ready it will be a month. I told them I wasn't interested in discount oil change coupons...Since I have a note on the car, I told them I would appreciate compensation of one months payment. Lets see how they work this out...
Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 AM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Here is the latest:
Got the same news but my service person stated the quanity is about 500... he is still assuring me he is going to get one of them for me.

On a side note, I would be interested to know how many vehicles are waiting for a Harmonic Balancer.... and how many they have had to replace up to this point.

Quick Reply: harmonic balancer/damper