C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech2 vs MDI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Joe C5
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tech2 vs MDI?

So,

I have a 2012, and want to be able to do a few things (read codes, control the bi-directional stuff, etc). None of the standard tuning or scan tools seem to be able to do much beyond the Engine or Transmission modules (I have a scan tool and a EFILive). I really do miss the ability to review codes like we could on the C5!

It "appears" that the Corvette still uses the Tech 2 for 2012 ???
The Helm manual will not be out until August so it is no help.
Certain GM cars are starting to require the MDI tool, but from what I have read, it only supports those cars.

I was wondering if anyone knows for sure which one the 2012 Corvettes are using.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Kozzzz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C5
So,

I have a 2012, and want to be able to do a few things (read codes, control the bi-directional stuff, etc). None of the standard tuning or scan tools seem to be able to do much beyond the Engine or Transmission modules (I have a scan tool and a EFILive). I really do miss the ability to review codes like we could on the C5!

Certain GM cars are starting to require the MDI tool, but from what I have read, it only supports those cars.

I was wondering if anyone knows for sure which one the 2012 Corvettes are using.
Maybe you could call your dealership and ask them?

My guess would be that the 2012 would use the same tool that the other C6s use. I doubt they changed the vehicle CAN communications for 2012, so I don't know why the scan tool would change.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:32 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Kozzzz
I doubt they changed the vehicle CAN communications for 2012
Corvettes have a CANbus system???? In 2005 it was a rare occurrence, and as you said, don't think GM changed it in the middle of production, no? Just curious.

And as a related question, what's the best value tool to buy just to read and clear all codes on a 2012, including ABS and any other system? It'd also be nice to change the cooling fan temperature activation, but don't want to touch the ECU during warranty. Thx.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Joe C5
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To both questions. No, to my knowledge they have not changed from the CAN bus, they just are investing in a newer technology (wireless with a laptop) for the interface to the car. My 2006 Z06 had a CAN bus. All GM cars will eventually use the new system.
As to reading other modules (like the ABS), I believe someone said one of the units that Snap-On makes does, but almost no reader you can purchase that I know of for under $500 will read anything but the ECU (and maybe the Transmission controller). Less can do the bi-directional controls (like controlling the ABS to bleed the brakes).
Before spending $$$$ (and no I don't plan on purchasing a knock-off), I would like to know which one works. The MDI is significantly cheaper (hardware) than the Tech 2 (though probably because of the knock-offs or change to the MDI the Tech 2 appears to be dropping)
Old 09-26-2012, 02:47 AM
alex1986
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to buy the GM TECH2 scanner but clone ones ,it cost very cheaper now
It would more professional then one code scanner .Anybody have it ? how working compare as the original ? 80% functions ?or less
Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Robg91z
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a Gm tech. The tech 2 is used on obd2 Gm vehicles. I believe late 2013 Gm released the last tech 2 update. Now every vehicle for now on will be using gds with the mdi so mdi is replacing the tech 2 I guess u can say
Old 10-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Z06Brucey
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Robg91z
I'm a Gm tech. The tech 2 is used on obd2 Gm vehicles. I believe late 2013 Gm released the last tech 2 update. Now every vehicle for now on will be using gds with the mdi so mdi is replacing the tech 2 I guess u can say
This is correct. I'm a shop foreman for a GM dealership.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:13 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C5
So,

This is the tool I have been using on my 2010 GS. I have also used the same tool on 2011 & 2012 GS cars.

https://www.autoenginuity.com/products/scan-tool.html

From my 2010 GM Manual there are 2 data link types used.

1. High Speed GMLAN
2. Class 2

Depending on the module you wish to communicate with each have a design data link type.

eg. Body Control Module (BCM) uses High speed GM Lan
Passenger Door Module uses Class 2

I get the same results when I have connected to any C6 2010-2012 corvette.

This scan tool can read all the modules installed in my 2010 GS vert. Also includes bi-directional controls etc.

This may be a good alternative to a clone Tech2 and certainly a good choice vs a Tech2.

I have tested the unit by creating actual faults in my car by pulling fuses, disconnecting wires etc. It has reported the correct faults each time.

If you are interested I could show you more on this tool connected to my 2010 GS. This tool also allows you datalog while you drive. I have logged a few 1/4 mile passes to see what the engine is doing.

Get notified of new replies

To Tech2 vs MDI?

Quick Reply: Tech2 vs MDI?