C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CoW tune vs local dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I'm pretty sure this is the only forum on the internet where people, for some reason, got convinced that trans tuning is not a standard part of a tune

Cracks me up

Makes no sense
Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by RainMan12
No joke. The limitation of the free flow of information on this site, both good and bad, puts just about every post about any product on here in question. I've purchased at least two products that were raved about on here that are absolute junk but since they are sold by "Forum Sponsors" here, no one is allowed to post any negative experience with them. So others will blindly go down the same path and purchase them, only to find out they have wasted their money.

Internet Forums were established to allow the FREE FLOW of information, both good and bad, so that folks could educate themselves about what products work and what ones don't. The way this forum protects it sponsors sets that idea on it's head. I understand them not wanting members to totally bash a vendor, and I agree with that. But they go way overboard to the point of not even letting you post negative experience with a poor product, if that product is sold by a sponsor of this site.

If I wanted to watch commercials all day long spouting about how good any given product is, I'd turn on the TV. I come to internet forums to find out the real scoop about what ones are good and what ones aren't. I'm unable to do that on this forum, because it's literally over-run by "Sponsors" and "Sales Posts" from them.

Yes I agree but remember the sponsors pay so that we can all stay in touch. So it is a two edged sword.

The best way to comunicate problems is via e mail. Yet most members want to remain nameless.

If you want to know the good, bad & ugly about anything the best way is to speak with other members and take the time to listen to what they say. Some of us are real gear heads with motor oil in our veins and others are just waxers so realize the who you are speaking to.

When in doubt you can always attend a track day or Corvette racing event. The majority of Corvette guys & gals are very helpful. When looking for a tuner or any performance shop you need to do your research as there are many quality shops.

Realize that no one is perfect, so expect to hear varried opinions. Take the time and read about the mods you are thinking of doing, a little knowledge goes a long way.

Something that we all forget "seat of the pants feeling" does not in any way shape or form measure up to actual track results (and yes track results vary with DA & etc just as dyno sheets) However, a dyno queen may never see a race track.

We have the 1/4 challenge list and the Z06 fast list which are both very good informational tools. I imagine individuals listed on either of those lists would be very happy to speak to anyone about their Corvettes.

This is a community in which the members should help each other
Old 05-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I'm pretty sure this is the only forum on the internet where people, for some reason, got convinced that trans tuning is not a standard part of a tune

....and that tuning the throttle response isn't either, It's all separate!!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Hmmmm,,, Well, I know for sure that you DIDNT get any sort of "ELECTRONIC" Throttle enhancement in the same order of throttle improvement as a COW Boosted tune via a mail order tune. Thayt my friend just aint happening!
Since you know exactly what I did or did not get for my $100 (it's actually $100 if you buy a handheld tuner from them) define "electronic throttle enhancement" for $200 and how it differs from what I got which actually:

1) improved my throttle response by making it more linear AND made my car go faster
2) can be measured on a dyno
3) can be measure at the track as a legit performance improvement.

For double the money, will the "Electronic Throttle Enhancement" show more power and torque on a dyno? Will your car be faster at the track? If I'm wrong about the track and dyno please correct me but that my friend...............my guess is no, that just ain't happening.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Polar Jet
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tommy D
Some of us are real gear heads with motor oil in our veins and others are just waxers so realize who you are speaking to.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:46 AM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy D
Yes I agree but remember the sponsors pay so that we can all stay in touch. So it is a two edged sword.

The best way to comunicate problems is via e mail. Yet most members want to remain nameless.

If you want to know the good, bad & ugly about anything the best way is to speak with other members and take the time to listen to what they say. Some of us are real gear heads with motor oil in our veins and others are just waxers so realize the who you are speaking to.

When in doubt you can always attend a track day or Corvette racing event. The majority of Corvette guys & gals are very helpful. When looking for a tuner or any performance shop you need to do your research as there are many quality shops.

Realize that no one is perfect, so expect to hear varried opinions. Take the time and read about the mods you are thinking of doing, a little knowledge goes a long way.

Something that we all forget "seat of the pants feeling" does not in any way shape or form measure up to actual track results (and yes track results vary with DA & etc just as dyno sheets) However, a dyno queen may never see a race track.

We have the 1/4 challenge list and the Z06 fast list which are both very good informational tools. I imagine individuals listed on either of those lists would be very happy to speak to anyone about their Corvettes.

This is a community in which the members should help each other

This is a good site, you just have to know how the game is played. As long as you're aware of the politics, you can still make educated decisions. There is a lot to learn here but you should NOT be using this site as the sole source of your tuner and modification information.

Use the tuners to help build your ideas. Not get sold theirs.

Quick Reply: CoW tune vs local dyno tune?