C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of bypassing clutch starter switch. Does it have any other function?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:26 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I'm a little confused by your contradictory views on different features of the car.
You're talking apples and oranges man. In case you didn't read the thread, I'm NOT going to change anything because it wasn't a simple switch, like on most of my other cars. And guess you also didn't read that when you do that, you can reverse it in less than a minute. And does NOT affect the car mechanically in any way. I don't view the clutch switch as a 'safety feature' because if you f*** up and start car in gear, when you release clutch at high idle you'd probably do more damage than cranking the starter in gear.

As far as the brakes, a very highly regarded single-pad covers A LOT less of the rotor than stock padlets, hence my comment that a CRITICAL system like brakes, I don't d*ck with that, since they were designed for padlets, not single pads. So I guess I should be the one confused, since you have no problem changing pads (nothing wrong with that, by the way), but get freaked out by a switch that doesn't prevent anything if you don't know how to drive a manual properly . Many people modify their cars for different reasons, and have different criteria for different modifications, from cosmetic, performance, or driving environment (tires, brake pads, etc). Don't try to play forum psychologist and expect the same criteria for every kind of mod. Just saying.

Finally, if I'm 'too confusing' for you, simply skip my posts and/or ignore me and problem solved . I already did the latter myself since you only seem to be looking to pick a fight, hijacking my thread. Have a good life man .

Last edited by JCtx; 05-17-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:09 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
The days of bypassing a clutch switch on nice cars (push-button ignition, launch control, hill assist, etc) are over folks . Good day.
The funny comment there about "nice cars" having those features, assumes they are new technology.

The Studebaker President had both push-button ignition and a hill-holder as standard equipment clear back in 1936. Even though with only 115 HP there was no need for launch control, it was still considered a fine car at that time.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:40 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
....As far as the brakes, a very highly regarded single-pad covers A LOT less of the rotor than stock padlets, hence my comment that a CRITICAL system like brakes, I don't d*ck with that, since they were designed for padlets, not single pads...
Well....I'm still confused!!

In my more than 50 years of driving I've owned a lot of different cars, but I've never owned one with an automatic - even my wife won't drive an automatic and it was hard finding a manual transmission mini-SUV for her!!

After millions of miles in manual transmission cars, trucks, and motorcycles, I just don't have a problem with disengaging the clutch to start a vehicle - with one exception!! When kickstarting my Harley Low Rider I needed to make sure it was in neutral because I couldn't pull the clutch lever in when jumping on it. However, I recently rebuilt it and put in a Primo 6-speed transmission. It does have the capability of installing a kickstart lever on it, but my exhaust covers up the area where it would go, so I'm just going to have to use the electric starter!

My main concern with your comments are that you put out info that forum members can work with - so what pads are you talking about? Regarding what you say in the quote above, I don't know what manufacturer's one piece pads you're talking about, but here is a picture of padlets on top of one piece pads - both are front pads:

In the picture above, at the top of the picture the padlets are on top of a Carbotech one piece (an early one that doesn't have holes in it for the 2 center pad pin bolts). The one at the bottom is a Hawk pad with padlets on top of it.

In both cases the padlets don't extend above or below the top or bottom edges of the one piece pad.

Notice how there is a lot of extra pad material on the one piece pads between the padlets. The hawk one piece pads are cut to a similar shape of the padlets, so the addtional pad material on the Hawk one piece is limited to between the padlets.

However, the Carbotech one piece has a smooth arc across the bottom and you can see that there is a lot of additional pad material.

So....for both the Hawk and Carbotech one piece pads, there is a LOT MORE pad material contacting the rotor to provide more torque for better stopping power than the padlets provide.

Again, I don't know what one piece pads you're talking about when you say "a very highly regarded single-pad covers A LOT less of the rotor than stock padlets", but all I know is that both the Hawk and Carbotech one piece pads have a lot MORE pad material in contact with the rotor.

Please tell us what one piece pad you're talking about so people can avoid using it, because I totally agree that you don't want to use something with less area than the padlets provide.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-17-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:44 AM
smokemake
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if you did this mod already
I just need to know out of the three wires on the clutch switch which is the starter, cruise and ground
I think there are blue and green cables
Old 05-09-2014, 01:00 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

If you accidentally bump the starter on a conventional key-switch ignition, you will reflexively flip back to the "run" position the instant the car lurches forward. This won't even be a conscious act. You'll notice a fraction of a second afterward that your wrist just did it.

On a C6, once you punch "start," the computer has complete control of the cranking duration. So you'd need to get on the clutch or pop the car out of gear, and/or really stand on the brake (w/o vacuum assist), and you'd have to think about it. This will take much longer.

Anyway, I realize the OP doesn't care, but somebody might.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:05 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I guess that there are not any "ambulance chasers" in your area. The return isn't worth the risk.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:51 PM
smokemake
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know out of the 3 wires on the switch which is the starter?
Old 12-01-2018, 08:04 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm trying to do this on my C7 Z06. Did anyone ever figure this out?

Last edited by Toddiesel; 12-02-2018 at 07:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of bypassing clutch starter switch. Does it have any other function?