Notices
C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling System

 
Old 07-11-2016, 04:00 PM
  #41  
Orion2011
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Location: Shelbyville Kentucky
Posts: 304
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

I am currently trouble shooting a charging issue with my 07. Both times the battery voltage got too low and shut the car down.

The first indications of a problem both times was a service traction control system or service ABS message. After that things got progressively stranger as the computer went stupid from lack of voltage.
Orion2011 is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 10:27 AM
  #42  
Gryphon_
CF Senior Member
 
Gryphon_'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Palos Verdes California
Posts: 415
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Lots of really good info in here, thanks to those that contributed. I have a 2008 A6 and have very infrequent instances of 1) SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING which seems to occur when braking, and 2) PRESS BRAKE to start (which is solved by pressing real hard, so it then starts)

The Service Active Handling goes away on restart, but yesterday it started coming back on every drive, while braking. So I have to do something I guess. I've noticed the sensor connection to the master cylinder seems loose, the fluid was at halfway, and I have a 3psi imbalance on the rear tires. My money is on the sensor in the master cylinder or connector to it, but obviously I need to read the code.Where can I go to get the code read without paying a ton of money for that service?
Gryphon_ is offline  
Old 03-05-2018, 03:29 AM
  #43  
Gryphon_
CF Senior Member
 
Gryphon_'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Palos Verdes California
Posts: 415
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Update: I disconnected the sensor wire to the master cylinder and reconnected it a few times to make sure it was clean and tight. Result: no codes in the 4 trips I've made since.

So, if you get this warning, there is a good chance it's one of the many connectors, just break and reconnect them until you find the one that works.
Gryphon_ is offline  
Old 03-05-2018, 09:50 AM
  #44  
Dutch08
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 949
Received 98 Likes on 95 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gryphon_ View Post
.....
So, if you get this warning, there is a good chance it's one of the many connectors, just break and reconnect them until you find the one that works.
It worked for me.

Last edited by Dutch08; 03-05-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Dutch08 is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 07:24 PM
  #45  
Gryphon_
CF Senior Member
 
Gryphon_'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Palos Verdes California
Posts: 415
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dutch08 View Post
It worked for me.
It came back a week later.

First i get 'PRESS BRAKE TO START ENGINE," so to start I had to press the brake real hard, then a few minutes down the road I get "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING" and the TC icon but no TC message.

Given the coincidence of those two warnings I'm sure its a brake pressure sensor.

Last edited by Gryphon_; 03-09-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Gryphon_ is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 06:26 PM
  #46  
Gryphon_
CF Senior Member
 
Gryphon_'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Palos Verdes California
Posts: 415
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

After more investigation it seems the sensor I was looking at was the brake fluid level sensor on the master cylinder, which cant be the problem. Now, I think its more likely to be the pressure sensor on the top of the EBCM, which is the assembly with the yellow plug in this photo. Its also accessible. Has anyone had any luck by cleaning this connector, or even replacing the bolt-in sensor itself?

Last edited by Gryphon_; 03-12-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Gryphon_ is offline  
Old 04-04-2018, 04:08 PM
  #47  
msd127
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2009
Posts: 555
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tcm

Originally Posted by VYMIKE View Post
I have had the SAH light come on in my 2008 on 3 different occasions now. Every time it has come on, it won't re-appear after I shut the car off and restart it. All 3 times, it never causes any problems with the car.....Until today. I was on the interstate Cruising at 20 mph due to a crash off the side of the road. The Service Active Handling light came on again, and after about 10 seconds my car started to run funny. It felt as though it was running on 7 cylinders.
The fumes from the exhaust were rich. I pulled into the store where I was going and popped the hood to find the #1 cylinder spark plug wire was detached from the coil. I have had the performance wires on the car for 15 months. How the hell does the wire "pop" off at 20 mph?
I reconnected it and restarted the car. No more problems for now.

After getting home, I connected my scanner to the car. It read a code for multiple misfires. I already knew that, so cleared the code. No codes pulled for the SAH though. Hopefully that fixed the problem. Time will tell.
Recently while out for a drive the traction management light came on car was running rough almost shaking, pulled over called a tow truck to take to dealer; while waiting I read this thread and decided to check the wires one of them had disconnected. I reconnected the loose wire and this fixed the problem. I got lucky this thread saved me a few hundred bucks. 👌👍🙂

Last edited by msd127; 04-04-2018 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Tty
msd127 is offline  
Old 06-26-2018, 04:11 PM
  #48  
Red86Cfour
CF Senior Member
 
Red86Cfour's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 366
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

I've had the SAH problem for several years. It first appeared during the winter time on the way to work in the morning. Air temp is usually in the 50s or lower, and unfortunately the car lives outside. While driving 70+ it decided to lock up (I think) all four brakes one after the other for a split second. Almost needed a second pair of underwear that morning. Anyway, this only happens in the winter time on the morning drive in. In the afternoon, and during non-winter times it never happens. Sometimes it comes on right at startup, or when driving real slow.
Red86Cfour is offline  
Old 06-27-2018, 01:38 AM
  #49  
Jfryjfry
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Posts: 540
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gryphon_ View Post
It came back a week later.

First i get 'PRESS BRAKE TO START ENGINE," so to start I had to press the brake real hard, then a few minutes down the road I get "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING" and the TC icon but no TC message.

Given the coincidence of those two warnings I'm sure its a brake pressure sensor.
if there is a brake position sensor, it could be that, too.
Jfryjfry is offline  
Old 06-27-2018, 09:47 AM
  #50  
BlackMamba89
CF Member
 
BlackMamba89's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Posts: 57
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

This happened to me maybe a month ago? I read about it on here, not sure which thread, and saw somebody mention how moving the steering column can trigger it, which is exactly what happened in my case. I had not moved the steering column before, then I moved it, it triggered, and it would trigger on first start up of the day, but not on subsequent ones. What I ended up doing was storing the preferred driver driving position (the 1/2 buttons on the door) and the exit position as the same, so the steering column no longer moved, problem solved (well, I guess not really solved, but a work around, lol).
BlackMamba89 is offline  
Old 07-13-2018, 12:18 PM
  #51  
drkjr-2012
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AH and TC messages - same solution

Same scenario, but was able to make it w/o a tow. 2012 C6 42k. Highway driving. First the tone, then the "service AH and TC system" msgs appear in DIC. Slight bucking and rough idle. Happened to be close to dealership at the time so headed straight there. Next day tech examines and tells me one of the boots came loose on a plug ( didn't say which). This caused a mis-fire and according to him is root-cause for DIC msgs. Going to replace all plugs and wires to be safe. Will update after I pick up tonight.


Recently while out for a drive the traction management light came on car was running rough almost shaking, pulled over called a tow truck to take to dealer; while waiting I read this thread and decided to check the wires one of them had disconnected. I reconnected the loose wire and this fixed the problem. I got lucky this thread saved me a few hundred bucks. 👌👍🙂
[/QUOTE]
drkjr-2012 is offline  
Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 PM
  #52  
drkjr-2012
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updaate

UPDATE: new plugs and wires did the trick, runs like a champ again.

Originally Posted by drkjr-2012 View Post
Same scenario, but was able to make it w/o a tow. 2012 C6 42k. Highway driving. First the tone, then the "service AH and TC system" msgs appear in DIC. Slight bucking and rough idle. Happened to be close to dealership at the time so headed straight there. Next day tech examines and tells me one of the boots came loose on a plug ( didn't say which). This caused a mis-fire and according to him is root-cause for DIC msgs. Going to replace all plugs and wires to be safe. Will update after I pick up tonight.



Recently while out for a drive the traction management light came on car was running rough almost shaking, pulled over called a tow truck to take to dealer; while waiting I read this thread and decided to check the wires one of them had disconnected. I reconnected the loose wire and this fixed the problem. I got lucky this thread saved me a few hundred bucks. 👌👍🙂

[/QUOTE]
drkjr-2012 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 01:43 PM
  #53  
Fatherjohn
CF Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Posts: 58
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Red86Cfour View Post
I've had the SAH problem for several years. It first appeared during the winter time on the way to work in the morning. Air temp is usually in the 50s or lower, and unfortunately the car lives outside. While driving 70+ it decided to lock up (I think) all four brakes one after the other for a split second. Almost needed a second pair of underwear that morning. Anyway, this only happens in the winter time on the morning drive in. In the afternoon, and during non-winter times it never happens. Sometimes it comes on right at startup, or when driving real slow.

That's unbelievably frightening to me. Glad nothing catastrophic happened to you.
Fatherjohn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Active Handling System


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: