C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling System

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 04:00 PM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

I am currently trouble shooting a charging issue with my 07. Both times the battery voltage got too low and shut the car down.

The first indications of a problem both times was a service traction control system or service ABS message. After that things got progressively stranger as the computer went stupid from lack of voltage.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:27 AM
Gryphon_
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Lots of really good info in here, thanks to those that contributed. I have a 2008 A6 and have very infrequent instances of 1) SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING which seems to occur when braking, and 2) PRESS BRAKE to start (which is solved by pressing real hard, so it then starts)

The Service Active Handling goes away on restart, but yesterday it started coming back on every drive, while braking. So I have to do something I guess. I've noticed the sensor connection to the master cylinder seems loose, the fluid was at halfway, and I have a 3psi imbalance on the rear tires. My money is on the sensor in the master cylinder or connector to it, but obviously I need to read the code.Where can I go to get the code read without paying a ton of money for that service?
Old 03-05-2018, 03:29 AM
Gryphon_
Pro

Update: I disconnected the sensor wire to the master cylinder and reconnected it a few times to make sure it was clean and tight. Result: no codes in the 4 trips I've made since.

So, if you get this warning, there is a good chance it's one of the many connectors, just break and reconnect them until you find the one that works.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Gryphon_
So, if you get this warning, there is a good chance it's one of the many connectors, just break and reconnect them until you find the one that works.
It worked for me.

Last edited by Dutch08; 03-05-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:24 PM
Gryphon_
Pro

Originally Posted by Dutch08
It worked for me.
It came back a week later.

First i get 'PRESS BRAKE TO START ENGINE," so to start I had to press the brake real hard, then a few minutes down the road I get "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING" and the TC icon but no TC message.

Given the coincidence of those two warnings I'm sure its a brake pressure sensor.

Last edited by Gryphon_; 03-09-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Gryphon_
Pro

After more investigation it seems the sensor I was looking at was the brake fluid level sensor on the master cylinder, which cant be the problem. Now, I think its more likely to be the pressure sensor on the top of the EBCM, which is the assembly with the yellow plug in this photo. Its also accessible. Has anyone had any luck by cleaning this connector, or even replacing the bolt-in sensor itself?

Last edited by Gryphon_; 03-12-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:08 PM
msd127
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Tcm

Originally Posted by VYMIKE
I have had the SAH light come on in my 2008 on 3 different occasions now. Every time it has come on, it won't re-appear after I shut the car off and restart it. All 3 times, it never causes any problems with the car.....Until today. I was on the interstate Cruising at 20 mph due to a crash off the side of the road. The Service Active Handling light came on again, and after about 10 seconds my car started to run funny. It felt as though it was running on 7 cylinders.
The fumes from the exhaust were rich. I pulled into the store where I was going and popped the hood to find the #1 cylinder spark plug wire was detached from the coil. I have had the performance wires on the car for 15 months. How the hell does the wire "pop" off at 20 mph?
I reconnected it and restarted the car. No more problems for now.

After getting home, I connected my scanner to the car. It read a code for multiple misfires. I already knew that, so cleared the code. No codes pulled for the SAH though. Hopefully that fixed the problem. Time will tell.
Recently while out for a drive the traction management light came on car was running rough almost shaking, pulled over called a tow truck to take to dealer; while waiting I read this thread and decided to check the wires one of them had disconnected. I reconnected the loose wire and this fixed the problem. I got lucky this thread saved me a few hundred bucks. 👌👍🙂

Last edited by msd127; 04-04-2018 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Tty
Old 06-26-2018, 04:11 PM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I've had the SAH problem for several years. It first appeared during the winter time on the way to work in the morning. Air temp is usually in the 50s or lower, and unfortunately the car lives outside. While driving 70+ it decided to lock up (I think) all four brakes one after the other for a split second. Almost needed a second pair of underwear that morning. Anyway, this only happens in the winter time on the morning drive in. In the afternoon, and during non-winter times it never happens. Sometimes it comes on right at startup, or when driving real slow.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:38 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Gryphon_
It came back a week later.

First i get 'PRESS BRAKE TO START ENGINE," so to start I had to press the brake real hard, then a few minutes down the road I get "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING" and the TC icon but no TC message.

Given the coincidence of those two warnings I'm sure its a brake pressure sensor.
if there is a brake position sensor, it could be that, too.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:47 AM
BlackMamba89
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This happened to me maybe a month ago? I read about it on here, not sure which thread, and saw somebody mention how moving the steering column can trigger it, which is exactly what happened in my case. I had not moved the steering column before, then I moved it, it triggered, and it would trigger on first start up of the day, but not on subsequent ones. What I ended up doing was storing the preferred driver driving position (the 1/2 buttons on the door) and the exit position as the same, so the steering column no longer moved, problem solved (well, I guess not really solved, but a work around, lol).
Old 07-13-2018, 12:18 PM
drkjr-2012
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AH and TC messages - same solution

Same scenario, but was able to make it w/o a tow. 2012 C6 42k. Highway driving. First the tone, then the "service AH and TC system" msgs appear in DIC. Slight bucking and rough idle. Happened to be close to dealership at the time so headed straight there. Next day tech examines and tells me one of the boots came loose on a plug ( didn't say which). This caused a mis-fire and according to him is root-cause for DIC msgs. Going to replace all plugs and wires to be safe. Will update after I pick up tonight.

Recently while out for a drive the traction management light came on car was running rough almost shaking, pulled over called a tow truck to take to dealer; while waiting I read this thread and decided to check the wires one of them had disconnected. I reconnected the loose wire and this fixed the problem. I got lucky this thread saved me a few hundred bucks. 👌👍🙂
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 PM
drkjr-2012
2nd Gear

Default Updaate

UPDATE: new plugs and wires did the trick, runs like a champ again.

Originally Posted by drkjr-2012
Same scenario, but was able to make it w/o a tow. 2012 C6 42k. Highway driving. First the tone, then the "service AH and TC system" msgs appear in DIC. Slight bucking and rough idle. Happened to be close to dealership at the time so headed straight there. Next day tech examines and tells me one of the boots came loose on a plug ( didn't say which). This caused a mis-fire and according to him is root-cause for DIC msgs. Going to replace all plugs and wires to be safe. Will update after I pick up tonight.

[/QUOTE]
Old 08-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Fatherjohn
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Red86Cfour
I've had the SAH problem for several years. It first appeared during the winter time on the way to work in the morning. Air temp is usually in the 50s or lower, and unfortunately the car lives outside. While driving 70+ it decided to lock up (I think) all four brakes one after the other for a split second. Almost needed a second pair of underwear that morning. Anyway, this only happens in the winter time on the morning drive in. In the afternoon, and during non-winter times it never happens. Sometimes it comes on right at startup, or when driving real slow.

That's unbelievably frightening to me. Glad nothing catastrophic happened to you.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:41 PM
larryboz1969
2nd Gear

I have all 3 messages on my 2009 vette, service anti lock brakes, service active handling, service traction control. The code reads C0040-00 which is right front wheel speed sensor, replaced it cleared codes and all messages are there plus the code C0040-00. I am not sure where to go from here I even replaced the harness from the sensor with factory new GM.

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling System