C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette running hot...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 PM
brandon1566
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Vette running hot...

my vette gets up to 220 quick. With AC on in traffic it creaps up to 235/240 if i kill the A/c it drops down to around 220.

Fans come on at 150 deg. had a 160 deg t stat, just changed it to 187. Still same results.

Motor is bolt on cam. Anyone have any idea as to what my issue is?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

your gonna enjoy this.... i have been trying my best to teach the Mrs all about cars. She enjoys learning do/donts/fixes/solutions/problems. So, i had her read your problem and asked her.. what would you do.

ok, i know she is NO expert but i thought you would enjoy, so here it is..

1) do you have an antifreeze leak ( i reminded her you dont have puddles nor steam and not pressurized like our old cars with rad caps) , so she agreeded you dont have that
2) do you have any water in your overflow tank. (she agreeded you would have checked that)
3) did you suck up a walmart bag in front of radiator. (i gave her 2 points on that one)
4) do you have air in the system due to changing thermostat and need to burb the air out (gave her 4 points)

thats it, not bad i thought

5) i would add fan connector causing loss of fan high speed, pulling it apart to check it so you can see if burnt/melted

Last edited by ChevyDave; 07-17-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: correct spellings
Old 07-17-2012, 11:12 PM
brandon1566
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like the Misses has a good head on her shoulders!

No bags, no leaks, and no bubbles. I thought the t stat might only be opening half way but that wasnt the case. I dont know about the high speed on the fan, but I do know the fan is moving some air.

Thanks for your help and quick reply
Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 396 Likes on 361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Not sure why your fans would come on at 150 because the programming doesn't even allow a setting that low. That aside, you might check the front of the rad. They tend to collect crap over time which blocks the airflow.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently ran into the same issues and suggest you get under the car and disconnect the fan plug. There is a silver box that has a large connector with 5 wires going into it. On the other end of that box are three wires that go up the passenger side of the radiator to the harness in the car. Disconnect that connector. Inspect both sides of the connector for any melted plastic.

I recently found the larger red wire in this connector melted and have been working to fix since.

C6's with fans coming on early and high ambient temp conditions have this issue regularly it seems. I've had my fans programmed the same for the past 5yrs and not until this year when we saw 105+ deg weather here in GA have I had this problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette running hot...

Quick Reply: Vette running hot...