C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift box/detend spring questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shift box/detend spring questions.

After removing the torque tube transmission and putting it back, I'm finding the reverse detent much harder to push against. I know the "correct" procedure for tightening things back down and I'm sure the linkage is not bent.

Pushing against the detent is also rough, like grinding/rusty metal which I don't remember before.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if maybe there's something I can grease to help, or something I might have inadvertently popped out of place.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Did you do the proper shift box alignment procedure? You need to tighten the linkage collar LAST. And make sure the neutral pin is fully inserted. Even like that, if you do it twice, you'd have 2 different results, like I did, but car should shift fine if done that way. I also relaxed the detend spring with one copper washer, and it reduced the notchiness, with still plenty of centering force. And contrary to some comments, if you remove the detent, there's NO centering force of any kind. That spring is for both sideways and forward force. That means with no detent, your shifter can pop out of gear. Plus who wants to drive with a sloppy gear shift lever. The beauty of that mod is you can reverse it in 10 minutes if desired. With all the changed I made (including Amsoil fully-synthetic oil), my tranny is as best as it's going to get. Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 01-24-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 AM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Did you do the proper shift box alignment procedure? You need to tighten the linkage collar LAST. And make sure the neutral pin is fully inserted. Even like that, if you do it twice, you'd have 2 different results, like I did, but car should shift fine if done that way. I also relaxed the detend spring with one copper washer, and it reduced the notchiness, with still plenty of centering force. And contrary to some comments, if you remove the detent, there's NO centering force of any kind. That spring is for both sideways and forward force. That means with no detent, your shifter can pop out of gear. Plus who wants to drive with a sloppy gear shift lever. The beauty of that mod is you can reverse it in 10 minutes if desired. With all the changed I made (including Amsoil fully-synthetic oil), my tranny is as best as it's going to get. Good luck.
I thought the procedure was car in neutral, shifter locked with pin, tighten collar to shift linkage, then tighten box to torque tube.

Either way I've done it 50 different ways including offsetting the shifter to each side to see if it changed anything and it didn't (besides obviously making one direction or the other shorter)

Is the spring that makes it extra hard to move toward reverse in the same location as the rest? Do you have a pic of the location.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Are you sure the reverse lockout is plugged in? I forgot to plug mine in during one of my transmission removal/reinstalls and it acted just like you are describing.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JUIC3D
Are you sure the reverse lockout is plugged in? I forgot to plug mine in during one of my transmission removal/reinstalls and it acted just like you are describing.
Where is it? I didn't really unplug anything from the transmission, I pulled the whole harness down from the front with the torque tube/transmission assembly.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

It's at the top of the transmission near the middle.

You can see it in this picture. It's the black plug on the right side of the transmission, almost dead center.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Thanks a lot, I'll have a look.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

You were half right. It was plugged in, but with the car off it's locked out, didn't think about that.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by BoosterClub
You were half right. It was plugged in, but with the car off it's locked out, didn't think about that.
Oh, ya. If the car is off, the solenoid is engaged. The car needs to be on for you to go into reverse.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:38 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Oh, ya. If the car is off, the solenoid is engaged.
To make it clearer to the masses, the reverse gate is normally blocked. Solenoid needs to be energized to allow reverse, and that happens with the ignition on, and speed of less than 3 mph. Have a good one folks.

Get notified of new replies

To Shift box/detend spring questions.

Quick Reply: Shift box/detend spring questions.