C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse is very difficult

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 AM
bcwhitaker
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse is very difficult

What would be the most likely cause of the fact that I suddenly need two hands to move the shift lever far enough to the right to move it up into Reverse?

(other than my name is Samson and I just left Delilah's place)

Last edited by bcwhitaker; 01-27-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:16 AM
D&C vette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Reverse lock out solenoid, would be my guess. If you have power off, does it go into reverse relatively easy?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 AM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bcwhitaker
What would be the most likely cause of the fact that I suddenly need two hands to move the shift lever far enough to the right to move it up into Reverse?

(other than my name is Samson and I just left Delilah's place)
Originally Posted by D&C vette
Reverse lock out solenoid, would be my guess. If you have power off, does it go into reverse relatively easy?
I just went through this. If the car is off the solenoid is engaged and it's very hard to go into reverse. If the car is on ignition 2 it will "unlock". If it's unplugged/blown fuse/wires got severed/car is off ETC it will be "locked".

I scratched my head over this for a while after bolting the shifter back in and testing the gates without even the battery connected. I was so confused, haha.

This is like when you go to take the rear rotors off and forget to let the parking brake down.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:23 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Yep, if the car is off, lockout is engage(you can't go into reverse). I've seen about 3 of these threads pop up in the last week or so. It should be a sticky
Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

You CAN get it into reverse, it's just really hard.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM
bcwhitaker
6th Gear

Well, it's just as difficult for me whether the power is on or off; although after a bowl of Wheaties, I find I can actually get it into reverse with one hand (but my wife wouldn't be able to).

Also, for what it's worth, I'm getting a "Service Traction System" message.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by BoosterClub
You CAN get it into reverse, it's just really hard.
Why do you think it's hard? The solenoid is not energized so its trying to keep you out of that gear. I wouldn't keep trying as you're just going to mess up the solenoid
Old 01-27-2013, 04:11 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JUIC3D
Why do you think it's hard? The solenoid is not energized so its trying to keep you out of that gear. I wouldn't keep trying as you're just going to mess up the solenoid
I'm just saying, so people who have the same problem don't think that's not what it is simply because they can actually get it in.

Avoiding the innuendo is taking a lot.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Or...

It could be that the connection between the shifter box and the rod that goes back to the tranny has slipped. The first thing to do is to make sure that the shifter box and the rod are properly aligned and that the connection isn't slipping. This costs nothing but an hour of time and will (at the least) eliminate one possible cause.

The fact that you are using two hands to force things only ups the liklihood of getting that connection out of alignment.

Z//
If that was slipping the shifter would be pushed against the console, and it wouldn't go far enough over to hit reverse, went through that too.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by D&C vette
Reverse lock out solenoid, would be my guess.
Mine too, if forward gears are okay. If shifter was misaligned, he'd be having trouble with all gears, not just reverse. And yes, the reverse lockout can be defeated, but remember the shifter has a lot of plastic parts. Even forcing it once or twice could add play to it, and that wouldn't be good. Just get it replaced, but before doing that, try shifting into reverse once removed. If it goes in, you'd know the problem with 100% certainty . Plus I'd remove the shift box and make sure it wasn't messed up. And align it correctly afterwards (tightening collar bolt LAST). Good luck.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM
bcwhitaker
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Just get it replaced, but before doing that, try shifting into reverse once removed. If it goes in, you'd know the problem with 100% certainty .
Well, I've located the fuse for the manual transmission solenoids ... but where's the reverse lockout solenoid exactly?

(sorry)
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

My 2005 never went into reverse easily. I dismissed it as the trans needed breaking in. This was with the car running or not. I realigned the shifter a dozen times, bought 2 shifters to replace the stocker and even had the trans rebuilt by cartek. Nothing fixed it in 7 years. To get into reverse I had to first shift to 3rd then reverse. The solenoid didnt fix it for me. I sold it and it went away with the new owner aware of it.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

Mine does this every now and then... I have found that when this happens all I need to do is I apply pressure on the shifter in reverse and slowly raise up on the clutch... There is a spot where the shifter drops right into Reveres as I raise the clutch... Not sure if this would work for everyone but it works for me...

I have a problem with it Grinding reverse every now and then... Dealership claims there is nothing wrong with it... I dont buy it. I have never had a car that did this so frequently.

Anyway, give that a shot and let us know if it works or not...

SPEED SAFE, NICK
Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

i had same issue, fuse was blown, the solenoid is on the top of the trans, difficult to reach but possible to remove without removing anything else.

-Carl
Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bcwhitaker
Well, I've located the fuse for the manual transmission solenoids
That's of no help man; the solenoid is locking reverse when not powered. That's why I said you need to remove the solenoid altogether. It's at the top of the transmission; look for pictures here. I just saw one recently, but don't remember where.

Want to clarify something. Reverse is sometimes hard to engage, BUT this is when we are already into the reverse gate, and can't move the lever forward into reverse. The reverse lockout solenoid prevents you from getting past the 5-6 gearshift plane. Maybe the OP needs to make sure his issue is the latter, and not the former. I always shift into other gears before trying to engage reverse, and it usually works. Sometimes it needs a little shove, but it's minor. And no grinding whatsoever. It shouldn't be any. And remember to fully clutch for that, and to avoid the 2nd grind too. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Reverse is very difficult

Quick Reply: Reverse is very difficult