C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:50 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

As some of you know, a HB is a critical part of the engine, so it doesn't destroy itself over time. Hope I don't have to do mine at 50K ('12 GS born 09/15/11 here), but if I have to, would put another OEM for sure. That'd be my last anyway. Better safe than sorry. I just don't quite trust aftermarket 'universal' components when critical, but could be wrong. Have a good one folks.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:50 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
I know there are a lot of replies here and other places referringto ATI HB.

I looked at that one and decided if I am doing it, I want it to be there forever.
I went with Jegs. It is a CNC'd piece of steel instead of the ATI which is aluminum.
Nothing will ever damage the steel HB where the Aluminum could wear over the miles.
I don't plan on ever doing an HB replacement ever again on this car.
the ATI hb is not aluminum but is the Rolex watch of hb for LS engines
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
As some of you know, a HB is a critical part of the engine, so it doesn't destroy itself over time. Hope I don't have to do mine at 50K ('12 GS born 09/15/11 here), but if I have to, would put another OEM for sure. That'd be my last anyway. Better safe than sorry. I just don't quite trust aftermarket 'universal' components when critical, but could be wrong. Have a good one folks.
the ATI is not a universal component and the oem hb would not be in the same ballpark as this precision CNC'ed piece of equipment. if you replaced your oem with another oem you may be doing the job over in the next 50 miles. the oem is that bad!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
I know there are a lot of replies here and other places referringto ATI HB.

I looked at that one and decided if I am doing it, I want it to be there forever.
I went with Jegs. It is a CNC'd piece of steel instead of the ATI which is aluminum.
Nothing will ever damage the steel HB where the Aluminum could wear over the miles.
I don't plan on ever doing an HB replacement ever again on this car.
The ATI balancer is also available in steel for the LS2. Part #917246.

BJK

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer Replacement?