C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/Trans Problem UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 PM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Trans Problem UPDATE

Hello All:

I started a thread a few weeks ago relating the the shifting problem I am having in my 2006 Z51 coupe with 24k miles, that I believed was related to the clutch. I am having problems getting the car to go into gear when downshifting (which is alleviated by double clutching) as well as having occasional problems getting the trans to pull OUT of gear, usually after hard acceleration. The car is stock other than a Corsa exhaust.

I attempted the Ranger method of clutch flushing, and experienced some relief, but only for a day or so. I have a warranty on the car so I took it to my local Chevy dealer. I took the tech (their best) out on a test drive and demonstrated the problem to him. His hypothesis yesterday was possible hydraulic clutch system problem, shifter linkage rod problem, or a slight chance of clutch failure.

I got a call today from their service writer, and they have now decided after talking with GM that it requires internal transmission work. The writer didnt go into details about what they think is wrong, I will call back and talk to the tech tomorrow or monday. I am PRAYING my extended warranty covers this. It sounds like a hideously expensive job.

Can anyone weigh in on this? I will most definitely be looking for a second opinion if for some reason my warranty does not cover this
Old 06-14-2013, 08:20 PM
ColtaBilly
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 06-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Rkoetting
4th Gear

Originally Posted by njvetteguy1
Hello All:

I started a thread a few weeks ago relating the the shifting problem I am having in my 2006 Z51 coupe with 24k miles, that I believed was related to the clutch. I am having problems getting the car to go into gear when downshifting (which is alleviated by double clutching) as well as having occasional problems getting the trans to pull OUT of gear, usually after hard acceleration. The car is stock other than a Corsa exhaust.

I attempted the Ranger method of clutch flushing, and experienced some relief, but only for a day or so. I have a warranty on the car so I took it to my local Chevy dealer. I took the tech (their best) out on a test drive and demonstrated the problem to him. His hypothesis yesterday was possible hydraulic clutch system problem, shifter linkage rod problem, or a slight chance of clutch failure.

I got a call today from their service writer, and they have now decided after talking with GM that it requires internal transmission work. The writer didnt go into details about what they think is wrong, I will call back and talk to the tech tomorrow or monday. I am PRAYING my extended warranty covers this. It sounds like a hideously expensive job.

Can anyone weigh in on this? I will most definitely be looking for a second opinion if for some reason my warranty does not cover this
My 2006 M6 Z51, which I purchased with 26,000 miles also shifted terribly. Sounded much like yours. I assumed that the M6 was just a poor shifting transmission. Last week I installed a MGW shifter and their replacement shifter box. While examining the old shifter box, I found that the internal shift rod had a gross amount of play in the rear bushing. This caused imprecision in the movement of the shift rod going back to the transmission. The replacement shifter box cured ALL of the shifting problems. I do not know the condition of your shifter box, but mine only had 31,000 miles at the time of replacement. The rest of the car is in excellent condition with no signs of poor maintenance or abuse. But the shifter box was smoked. Good luck with finding a solution.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 PM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

bump, appreciate the advice Rkoetting. Anybody else?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 AM
82ndrich
82nbAbn
Support Corvetteforum!

my 2006 m6 z51 with 33,000 miles on it, stock except for corsa is also having problems shifting, what gm dealer did you take it to in jersey. thanx
Old 06-18-2013, 01:19 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Replaced my shifter box during installation of MGW shifter a couple of years ago. This was before MGW offered there own box. Anyway, my original box had shredded bushings on the internal shaft and the mount bushings were also in bad shape. The car (06 Z51) had about 30K miles on it at the time (I bought it new). MGW told me that it was common to find this problem on most stock shifter boxes that were over about four years age or around 25 to 30Kmiles use. In fact at that time MGW told me they recommend changing out any box with the age or mileage mentioned during the MGW install. The early GM bushings simply broke down and shredded due to heat and time resulting in movement of the box and /or the internal shift shaft, causing shift difficulty. I think GM improved the bushing material on later boxes. Anyway, the combinatiom of new box and MGW shifter has thus far worked out quite well for me and I love the MGW.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:34 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

The fore and aft rubber seals are what shred with heat and time. My aft one was particularly damaged in the original box, with part of it actually hanging out the rearside of the box.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

This is my old box with the shredded rear rubber seal/bushing. The mount bushings as can be seen(missing) were already discarded and were cracked/deteriorated from heat

Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 PM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 82ndrich
my 2006 m6 z51 with 33,000 miles on it, stock except for corsa is also having problems shifting, what gm dealer did you take it to in jersey. thanx
Well, here is an update for everyone. I got a call back from my dealer today (Barlow Chevy in Delran), and they had some good news for me (relatively speaking). My aftermarket warranty company sent out a representative to take a look at my car, evaluate the problem, and I assume verify that it wasn't caused by abuse. The GREAT news is that they approved my claim. So the tech will be digging into my transmission tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed.

As to all this talk about the shift box, this was my tech's first instinct. The first thing he did when evaluating my complaint was take the shifter boot off inside the car and make sure the shifter and linkage rods were in good shape.

Finally, I am leaning very strongly towards having them replace the clutch while all of this is going on. The transmission will be out of the car for this work. I think that should reduce the cost of a clutch swap from a couple thousand down to a couple hundred. Any reason NOT to do this? I know I only have 24k miles, but it seems like the perfect time to do it. Also can anyone think of anything else I should have done while the rear of the car is disassembled?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Wait another 100,000 miles before you do the clutch...replacing it at 24,000 is like changing the oil every 500 miles...unless you are brutal on clutches.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:13 AM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by cclive
Wait another 100,000 miles before you do the clutch...replacing it at 24,000 is like changing the oil every 500 miles...unless you are brutal on clutches.
Even if he's got the trans out you dont see any value? It sounds to me like the clutch job is 2/3rds done at that point.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 AM
steveb601
Racer

Originally Posted by njvetteguy1
Even if he's got the trans out you dont see any value? It sounds to me like the clutch job is 2/3rds done at that point.
You can do whatever you want as far as the clutch. But I have a 2007 Callaway with about 140,000 freeway and street miles on it. I drive it hard sometimes but I don't abuse the car. I also don't use the clutch often when down-shifting and I haven't replaced the original clutch yet and its not slipping. I just periodically change the fluid per the "Ranger" method you find on here.
I am probably pushing it with those miles but so far so good. That's my 2 cents. (Somehow Karma tells me it will go out tomorrow.)
Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 PM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

Well gentlemen, I have been away on business for the past few days and the dealer was dragging a bit on diagnosing the car, but I got a call today from my dealer and the verdict is in. I'm getting a new (GM remanufactured) transmission. Apparently the tech determined that rings and synchros were shot on multiple gears, and the cost to repair the trans was only $100 less than that cost to replace the entire transmission. I will only be paying my $50 warranty deductible for this. Thanking my lucky stars I bought the warranty.

They are putting in the order for the trans first thing tomorrow, and hoping to get it installed early next week. The transmission will carry a new 3 year/100k mile warranty. I am very excited, though a little frustrated that I will be without my car for likely another week. Its my daily driver, plus this is prime Corvette weather. Cant wait to get it back!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 PM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

Here are a few pics from the shop. The plus side is right now my vette weighs only 2500 pounds! Should be able to outrun a Z06, right???

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch/Trans Problem UPDATE

Quick Reply: Clutch/Trans Problem UPDATE