C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a flooder, having a few electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice car! I wish I had half the electrical troubleshooting skills that you do, it sounds like a fun project.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:28 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I hope the new bcm solves the cars problems.
Xfingers for you man.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Don't forget it's going to take a TechII to program the BCM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:51 AM
wolfgang896
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RLSebring
Don't forget it's going to take a TechII to program the BCM.
I found this while doing a search to see if I could install my bcm and do a security relearn just to get it running, then take it to the dealer to program the bcm. Does anyone know if this is possible with a c6?

The C6 is much different than the C5...... I say that in a BAD way.... The C5 had an emergent procedure that would allow you to marry the BCM with the PCM to get the car to a dealer and do the RPO code programming. The C6 is so OWNER UNFRIENDLY when it comes to the electronics.

I'm NOT sure if the C6 has that ability but,,,,,,,,,, it may. I just have not had to deal with it and experience it YET...

Hanging out to see if anyone else has some info!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:04 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

To start, the Cars VIN has to be married to the BCM and as far as I know the TechII or it's equivalent is the only tool to do it. Then, You have to connect the techII to GM's AC/Delco TDS to acquire the cars information based on it's VIN.

From there you can access each of the cars system. This, At least, what I had to do and that was the letter part of 2008 on an '08 C6. Something could have changed since then...
Old 07-11-2013, 02:11 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

This is how I received my 2008 Vert in August 2007. No engine, harness, underhood fuseblock, ECM, front suspension, BCM and a few other things. Surely would be almost starting from scratch...

The Car now.

2008 Vert

Owned since new in 2007

www.c6c7vette.com
Old 07-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswood
You need to check the power distribution panel under the passengers carpet. Remove all the electronics and clean off all electronics with electrical contact cleaner. There is a good chance all electronics under the carpet are still under water.
I agree. Pull the carpet out and blow out all electrical connections with compressed air. You may also want to use dielectric grease on the connections to prevent future corrosion.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

This is how I received my 2008 Vert in August 2007. No engine, harness, underhood fuseblock, ECM, front suspension, BCM and a few other things. Surely would be almost starting from scratch...

The Car now.

wow!! now there was a project for you!!

i dont think id be brave enough for something like this..props to you,.,,
Old 07-11-2013, 05:45 PM
wolfgang896
Advanced

Well, my new BCM came in today, so I called the local dealer to program it and they are backed up for a week. I guess I should have planned it out better.

Since I pulled the carpet out, I have been installing dynamat in the floors and today I power washed the carpet. It's 102 here today so it was a good time to do it.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:51 PM
wolfgang896
Advanced

The Car now.
Wow, that looked like a major project..you turned it in to a very nice car..Was it a theft recovery?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:27 PM
olddragger
Pro

sounds like you have my kind of luck.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:39 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by wolfgang896
Wow, that looked like a major project..you turned it in to a very nice car..Was it a theft recovery?
Theft Recovery. Had 10 miles on the clock. After all was said and done even with the 480hp Hot Cam GM crate motor final amount involved was 21K.

The hardest part was I bought an 08 engine harness but received an 07 harness. The harness was already in the car and hooked up and many hours trouble shooting before coming to the conclusion that the wiring was all wrong.

I learned an awful lot about the electrical system in the process. I ended up moving about a half dozen wires around in the harness and fuse box. Spent days pouring over the 07 and 08 wiring schematics to figure out the problem.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 PM
olddragger
Pro

i know your pain--i have did the same thing. Never hook wires up without very good light present--the color difference can be subtle. I mismatched one once--I will never forget that. Seems like it took forever to find the problem--my stupidity
It was on a flood car that had some wicking going on and I was trying to salvage the harness. It just got worse as time went on
I think--maybe--the op --and maybe he has already--needs to question the reason the bcm went "bad" after a few days? I really hope more surprises are not forth coming.
xing my fingers for you man.
Carpets are looking good! Great choice on the sound insulation also.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 PM
wolfgang896
Advanced

So I had the dealer install the new bcm today and it didn't change anything. Right now, I haven't decided what my next plan of attack is going to be. I need to get with the local gentleman that offered to loan me his service manual and start from there.

The tech pulled all the codes and came up with a bunch of u codes. He explained to me that these were all lack of communication between different modules.

So to recap, my doors won't open, windows don't work, fuel door won't open, mirrors won't adjust and door locks dont work. All of these items quit working at same time. I can hear a clicking noise in the dash when I push the outside door switches but nothing with the inside door switches.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

This may be a dumb comment, but could the switches themselves be bad? I don't think the car was that deep though. The power may not be getting to the various motors. The switches are in the middle. On one of the motors, like the window, run a hot lead directly to it and see if it works. If it does work than trace it backwards until you find where it doesn't work. Have you used a test light on anything to see if your getting power?

So I had the dealer install the new bcm today and it didn't change anything. Right now, I haven't decided what my next plan of attack is going to be. I need to get with the local gentleman that offered to loan me his service manual and start from there.

The tech pulled all the codes and came up with a bunch of u codes. He explained to me that these were all lack of communication between different modules.

So to recap, my doors won't open, windows don't work, fuel door won't open, mirrors won't adjust and door locks dont work. All of these items quit working at same time. I can hear a clicking noise in the dash when I push the outside door switches but nothing with the inside door switches.

Last edited by vetten76; 07-18-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:50 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

While the mechanic had the techII hooked up did he run through any of the systems to see if the techII would command operation of any of the items not working?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:33 PM
85mcss
Instructor

Hello from another fellow okie..

Would you like to splurge on where you bought your car from? Did you drive up north and pick it up or did you find it on Copart around here locally?

I'd love to find one of these to build a track car out of..

Then again, I've done quite a few boats in the same situation.

Last edited by 85mcss; 07-18-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought a flooder, having a few electrical issues

Old 07-18-2013, 04:04 PM
wolfgang896
Advanced

While the mechanic had the techII hooked up did he run through any of the systems to see if the techII would command operation of any of the items not working?
No he didn't. All he did was give me a list of codes..
Old 07-18-2013, 04:05 PM
wolfgang896
Advanced

Originally Posted by 85mcss
Hello from another fellow okie..

Would you like to splurge on where you bought your car from? Did you drive up north and pick it up or did you find it on Copart around here locally?

I'd love to find one of these to build a track car out of..

Then again, I've done quite a few boats in the same situation.
Copart in OKC...
Old 07-19-2013, 01:20 PM
wolfgang896
Advanced

Well, I am happy to report that everything is back to normal. It was a stupid mistake on my part that caused all the problems.

I mistakenly put the 30 amp fuse for the pwr windows in the wrong slot. I was one space too high.

I am assuming the bcm was faulty, but with the fuse in the wrong location,the new bcm didn't make the problems go away.

Here is a pic of the fuse block and the correct fuse locations. I had the bottom 30 amp fuse up one space.

So, my plan now is to put some miles on it this weekend and hope for the best..

After reviewing all my old pics, they are showing the two 30 amp fuses side by side almost touching each other. So, I went back and put the bottom fuse up one slot where it was, and sure enough, nothing works including the fuel door.

I then moved it back down and everything works. Can someone look at theirs to verify it is the same as mine now?

Quick Reply: Bought a flooder, having a few electrical issues