C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Cold Air Intake for my c6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:12 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Since the factory intake draws air from the front of the vehicle, it is indeed a cold air intake. In fact is is more of a cold air intake than your Vararam is a Ram Air intake...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 11-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoZ51
Thanks, Gering. I was looking at these and they seem to be a good design. I read some comments where it seemed that some guys did not care for the provided filter itself but the design looks like it makes more sense than most that I have seen. The "ram air" idea seems to make great sense (if you don't actually have a turbo or SC to jam it in there
I will keep trying to get more info on this design.
I use the Callaway honker intake, but I would recommend the FAST 102 intake manifold and a set of 1 3/4 headers for the LS2. These two items along with a good tune will help increase your HP/TQ through the entire power band, plus the sound is nice. As for exhaust I have and would recommend the Corsa sport exhaust.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:21 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR_RAM
Since the factory intake draws air from the front of the vehicle, it is indeed a cold air intake. In fact is is more of a cold air intake than your Vararam is a Ram Air intake...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
and the more you talk the dumber you sound are voices telling you to make dumb statements
Old 11-11-2013, 09:20 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Right; Thru the front of the vehicle, thru the radiator, across the engine and then across the top of the radiator into the filter. How "cold" do you think the air is by the time it reaches the filter?

A true CAI delivers ambient air directly to the filter. Kinda like the Vararam does.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:11 AM
ColoradoZ51
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone tell me; How is the quality of the filter itself with the Vararam VR-SC1? Is it comparable to a K&N?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:24 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by ColoradoZ51
Can anyone tell me; How is the quality of the filter itself with the Vararam VR-SC1? Is it comparable to a K&N?
the green filter is very good i have had the same filter for over 5 years, it is cleaned and oiled the same as the k&n
Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 AM
ColoradoZ51
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
the green filter is very good i have had the same filter for over 5 years, it is cleaned and oiled the same as the k&n
Great! Thanks for that.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:35 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by haljensen
Right; Thru the front of the vehicle, thru the radiator, across the engine and then across the top of the radiator into the filter. How "cold" do you think the air is by the time it reaches the filter?

A true CAI delivers ambient air directly to the filter. Kinda like the Vararam does.
LOL... really? OMG I did not know our factory intakes drew air through the hot *** radiator then over the engine then into the filter! I honestly thought it drew the air from in FRONT of the radiator. At least it appears to do so.

I have always admitted to being new to the Corvette... Why do they mount the filter in front of the radiator if its drawing under hood engine heat? Or where you just over exaggerating to make a point?

If what you say is indeed correct then Well then I stand corrected...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 11-11-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:43 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
and the more you talk the dumber you sound are voices telling you to make dumb statements
Yeah dennis... You sound like a genius!

You still believe in RAM AIR! This must mean you also believe in Unicorns, Goblins and Santa Clause... FYI... they dont exist! <---- Looking forward to this debate with you. LMFAO! Dude you need to see a doctor!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 11-11-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:57 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

You still believe in RAM AIR! This must mean you also believe in Unicorns, Goblins and Santa Clause... FYI... they dont exist! <---- Looking forward to this debate with you. LMFAO! Dude you need to see a doctor!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
so if my throttle body sucks in air @ 100 mph and my car is traveling 45 mph................... oh ouch brain fart.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gering
I use the Callaway honker intake, but I would recommend the FAST 102 intake manifold and a set of 1 3/4 headers for the LS2. These two items along with a good tune will help increase your HP/TQ through the entire power band, plus the sound is nice. As for exhaust I have and would recommend the Corsa sport exhaust.
+1 for the Callaway Honker CAI. I've been running one for many years with great results. Here's a tech overview for their Z06 CAI for reference and their installation instructions for the C6.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 11-11-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

When you prop open the shroud, it will fill with ambient air at speeds over 30-40 mph just like an air box. This comes in through the grill directly. Because the flow is strong through the grill into the "air box," little air escapes from the pressurized, if you will, shroud because there is no major exit available. The airflow keeps it full as it replenishes the air the intake uses and that which does escape. Turbulence is not high as the air isn't moving around that quickly once pressurized--it's not like there is an exit that allows escape at anything like entry speed--most will go up into the engine compartment and that's not a bad thing for a bit of engine cooling. In this regard, it is similar to the CAIs that take air in through a hole in the shroud. Less air will escape from a Vararam's small duct area, but it also will only be replaced, once full, as needed. Everyone has their own opinions, and that's fine, but overlooking the free shroud prop doesn't make sense. I'm just not convinced, with my driving routine, $400 would gain me that much--I don't race, so others may well deem it a good way to get another 10hp, perhaps.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:58 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

LOL... really? OMG I did not know our factory intakes drew air through the hot *** radiator then over the engine then into the filter! I honestly thought it drew the air from in FRONT of the radiator. At least it appears to do so.

I have always admitted to being new to the Corvette... Why do they mount the filter in front of the radiator if its drawing under hood engine heat? Or where you just over exaggerating to make a point?

If what you say is indeed correct then Well then I stand corrected...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
You might want to take a look under the hood to see where any available space exists. It could be a real eye-opener for you.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
When you prop open the shroud, it will fill with ambient air at speeds over 30-40 mph just like an air box. This comes in through the grill directly. Because the flow is strong through the grill into the "air box," little air escapes from the pressurized, if you will, shroud because there is no major exit available. The airflow keeps it full as it replenishes the air the intake uses and that which does escape. Turbulence is not high as the air isn't moving around that quickly once pressurized--it's not like there is an exit that allows escape at anything like entry speed--most will go up into the engine compartment and that's not a bad thing for a bit of engine cooling. In this regard, it is similar to the CAIs that take air in through a hole in the shroud. Less air will escape from a Vararam's small duct area, but it also will only be replaced, once full, as needed. Everyone has their own opinions, and that's fine, but overlooking the free shroud prop doesn't make sense. I'm just not convinced, with my driving routine, $400 would gain me that much--I don't race, so others may well deem it a good way to get another 10hp, perhaps.
Value is in the eyes of the beholder. Some people spend thousands on wheels just because they like how they look. Some people spend thousands to make lots of HP because it makes their car go faster and others do the same so they can display a killer dyno sheet at the car show.

You may want to spend your $400 someplace else depending on how you value the purchase.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:30 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
You might want to take a look under the hood to see where any available space exists. It could be a real eye-opener for you.
I will... It's high on my things to do lists. If what you say is true, than any aftermarket CIA will make noticeable gains... Sure, some more than others depending on design.

SPEES SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 11-11-2013, 06:29 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I will... It's high on my things to do lists. If what you say is true, than any aftermarket CIA will make noticeable gains... Sure, some more than others depending on design.

SPEES SAFE, AIR RAM
Open the hood of your car, look where the air filter is mounted. If you are factory stock the filter is mounted on top of the radiator shroud (which seals the radiator so that cooling air flows thru the radiator). That's ON TOP of the shroud, the majority of the air that gets to the top of the shroud has to come from the engine compartment after it's been thru the radiator. The throttle body is 90mm, there is no 90mm opening in the shroud.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

SPEES SAFE, AIR RAM
Remember that CAI is (COLD air intake), not CIA (Central Intelligence Agency), meaning that all the air at the inlet is the same temperature as the outside air. If any air passes by an area that has heated air or heated components prior to the inlet, it is not truly a CAI unit.

A little study of the frontal aerodynamics of a C6 will help you identify the high pressure locations and areas of turbulence. It's pretty interesting if you understand fluid dynamics from an engineering point of view.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Cold Air Intake for my c6?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
I can see where your coming from and agree that there may be noticeable gains simply by improving on the factory design (Propping open the shroud). Not everyone needs a cold air intake and simple mods such as the one your speaking about sounds like it would improve performance at no cost. So its definitely worth trying. If your going that route I would also look at removing the resonator from the factory intake track and sealing the hole. That should also help gains.

With that said, I'm also a believer that most aftermarket CAI are worth a solid 10-15RWHP on average over the factory design and are measurable at the track/pump/butt Dyno. Some Cold Air intakes will make more than others due to their ability to direct large amounts of cool non-turbulent air to the throttle body.

I'm not doubting the performance of the vehicle's who run the VR. I do see some great design features of the VR that clearly allow it to deliver large amounts of non-turbulent cool air. Its gradual funnel from the filter to the throttle body and filter design may ultimately be the key to its success. I never doubted it made gains... I just did not agree as to how the gains are made. My mind is not that simple.

In the end it depends on what the owner is looking. Most never see a track and just want great performance on the rare event they put the peddle to the floor.

I may try a few tricks with the factory intake just to see what gains can be had for FREE... It would be nice if there is a significant measurable gain with zero cash down.

We have a K&N 63-3073 on the shelf so I may do some caparison testing with that and them move on to some caparison testing of the more popular brands. I live walking distance from Homestead Miami Speedway so track time is abundant. I may pick up the VR to see if it really causes the car to run warmer at the track or not... Thats the only downside I have heard about it. LG C6 Super Ram looks like a bad *** intake as well... But its a bit expensive. It would look sick under the hood though!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Remember that CAI is (COLD air intake), not CIA (Central Intelligence Agency), meaning that all the air at the inlet is the same temperature as the outside air. If any air passes by an area that has heated air or heated components prior to the inlet, it is not truly a CAI unit.

A little study of the frontal aerodynamics of a C6 will help you identify the high pressure locations and areas of turbulence. It's pretty interesting if you understand fluid dynamics from an engineering point of view.
LOL... Lets not get the CIA (TYPO) involved! And I agree, hot air is not good for performance. It was my own assumption that the factory intake drew in cool air because it was mounted ahead of the radiator... Im a bit surprised that this is not the case. I still have to see this for myself.

And yes I do have a slight grasp of fluid dynamics.

I have been doing some searching for C6 frontal aerodynamics specific publications but I have been unsuccessful at finding any. I have found several forum postings touching the topic however.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Just because I don't type like a secretary, failed English and quit school, I still been married 42 years raised six kids, have my own business, my c6 is paid off, looks great, really fast, and lots of mods. so weather it genius or common sense, I have already done it,, don't need to prove anything to anybody especially you, I am giving my expert opinion on the product, that I have had since 2005, yet you don't even no where your car gets its air from to the stock air intake and never had a vararam and state the lg super ram looks bad ***, how about how it works. and do your testing at the 1/4 mile, I can build race and drive circle around you. debate the forced air with Patrick at vararam, read every part of the literature, read the gm high tech article, obviously you didnt, you just make false statements to act smart. like drive it around it will get better he did 1000 miles home, the effects of DA, I can calculate in my head exactly what i will run on any given day. stop trying to act like your smarter then a dropout, and illiterate, i taught myself to type, and spell thanks to repetition on the corvette forum. and i can sit here all day and still afford $400 for a vararam and I laugh at anything you idiots say, match my skills in the 1/4, if i dont like you you wont win

Quick Reply: Best Cold Air Intake for my c6?