C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 PM
brent317
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock exhaust

looking at buying a2008 with the stock exhaust. Can you guys give me your opinions on the sound. I want it to have some noticeable sound on acceleration but don't want the drone at 45 mph. Don't really want to out another 1000 dollars for another system. Thanks
Old 11-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

You will have no sound with the stock exhaust. The NPP upgrade version (which does come "stock" if ordered that way from the factory) gives you the option of being louder, but it will cost you some $$s to upgrade to it, if your 2008 did not come with it from the factory.

Search for NPP if you don't know what I'm referring too, there are plenty of pics of what it looks like, how to install it, etc. out here in other threads.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:51 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

The "stock" exhaust is quiet. As of 2008, Corvette offered an option NPP exhaust that opened up the two inner pipes for extra sound, but I presume you are not talking about that exhaust. I'm sure others will chime in, but the ones I've read about for under $1K are systems like Flowmaster. There may also be rear resonators sold by other companies. I'd suggest if you want to stay under the dollar figure above, you may want to consider going used from someone selling a system.

And as far as I know, the drone you mention usually comes at highway cruising speed for most exhausts (if they have drone at all) and that's in the 1500-1900 rpm range which usually equates to 65 mph+.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:56 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

For next to zero cost, you could modify the stock muffler to open it up a little more.

Check out this thread, see post 175 for the basic how-to.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ler-mod-9.html

Many folks have done this simple mod and have been happy with it. It isn't as much of an improvement in sound as the better aftermarket units provide, but it does make the stock exhaust sound like a Corvette should, especially at idle. I've been happy with it, I did 7/8 inch holes, some folks go larger but you may want to start small first.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock exhaust

Quick Reply: Stock exhaust