C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help, separating diff from trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:55 PM
dentalfloss
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Please help, separating diff from trans

Hello. I am in the process of installing a new clutch and upgrading my differential. At this point I have removed the rear suspension subframe and have the diff/trans/tube still attached and lowered. I removed the 4 bolts from the diff to trans and the diff will not separate from the trans. I tried prying from all different angles but it will not separate. I must be doing something wrong. Thank you in advance
Old 01-06-2015, 02:05 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Since your installing a clutch just take the torque tube, trans, and diff out together then separate when off the car. The diff will slide right off if you have all the bolts out.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:18 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by dentalfloss
Hello. I am in the process of installing a new clutch and upgrading my differential. At this point I have removed the rear suspension subframe and have the diff/trans/tube still attached and lowered. I removed the 4 bolts from the diff to trans and the diff will not separate from the trans. I tried prying from all different angles but it will not separate. I must be doing something wrong. Thank you in advance
I usually work with automatics, but on my car there's another bolt on the lower driver's side that needs to be removed. All the other ones require a 13mm socket but this one is bigger (although I can't remember exactly what size it is).
Old 01-06-2015, 03:22 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by dentalfloss
Found a picture:

Old 01-06-2015, 05:15 PM
dentalfloss
Racer

Default thank you

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Found a picture:

Thank you but I do not have that bolt. I took some pictures and will post them in the morning. I have researched this to death and can not figure out why they will not separate. Since I have it in the position it is in, why not separate the diff now as I can not see how taking them down together will help in separating them.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I would leave the trans and diff together and take the trans lose from the TT. But since u don't want to do that, use a pry bar. Remember u have to be weight neutral or the output shaft from the trans won't let it go. Hope u drained the fluid in both or you will have a serious mess on your hands. I remember 2 bolts at the bottom that had to be removed with a box end wrench also
Old 01-08-2015, 04:08 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Is this an '05 you're working on? If so there is a stud on the diff with a nut on it that faces the front of the car. Its on the bottom in a little cutout so it's easy to miss. But I agree, if you're just installing a new clutch there is no need to separate the TT/trans/diff.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 01-08-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:46 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Is this an '05 you're working on? If so there is a stud on the diff with a nut on it that faces the front of the car. Its on the bottom in a little cutout so it's easy to miss. But I agree, if you're just installing a new clutch there is no need to separate the TT/trans/diff.
Profile says 05.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:56 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Then it's that stud fo' sho'.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:00 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I had it a bit wrong though. It's a rearward facing bolt that goes through a hole in the middle on the bottom of the diff. Seen below.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 01-08-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:36 PM
dentalfloss
Racer

Thank you everybody for your help. Yes you are correct there was a fifth stud with a nut hidden on the bottom of the diff. I removed it and the diff came loose. You really have to look close as it is hidden. I am now good to go. Again thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help, separating diff from trans

Quick Reply: Please help, separating diff from trans