C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerbond Harmonic Balancer Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:48 PM
DSOMZ51
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Powerbond Harmonic Balancer Install Question

I am in the middle of a H/C upgrade on my 2005 Z51 C6 and since my VIN# is in the first 11000 made in 2005 and there was a TSB notice on the stock harmonic balancer, I've decided to go ahead and replace my stock unit to hopefully avoid a future issue. It seems that a lot of people have been having success with the Powerbond HBs so I'm leaning that way since the ATIs are very expensive. I'm interested in the race series Powerbond model PB1117SS, but it looks like it already has a rectangular shaped key on it (see pic). How would I pin this balancer if my crank has never been pinned? Most of the pinning kits I've found on the web look like they have round pins versus what the PB1117SS has. Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations?

(link to picture: http://www.daycoproducts.com/dpdata/...1117SSBA45.JPG )

Old 01-06-2015, 06:58 PM
DSOMZ51
Instructor

OK, I think I have since learned that the TSB for the early 2005's were more focused on the replacement of the balancer bolt rather than the HB itself. I am going to use a new ARP bolt when I install, so the question is still how do I pin this HB since it is already has a rectangular looking keyway, or do I just mount it and use as is? Alternatively, I can just get an ACDelco HB and pin that for extra stability...
Old 01-06-2015, 08:44 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I dunno. Seems like the experts would be the company that owns PowerBond and that would be Dayco. Have you talked with their tech staff as to what to use, or if they have something to use in their product lineup?
Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 PM
DSOMZ51
Instructor

Good suggestion. I'll give them a call. I think I'll also give Summit a call because they have a SFI rated harmonic balance that looks pretty good too (SUM-C2501).
Old 01-07-2015, 12:15 AM
sick cc
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mount it and use it. no need to pin the harmonic balancer unless there is extra load on the belt system via supercharger. my ATI balancer was the same and ATI told me the same thing. most aftermarket cranks have a keyway on them so that makes the balancer a little more usable to those who purchase them for aftermarket cranks. BTW the arp bolt is an upgrade but I used a new factory gm bolt. make sure you lock tight the bolt and follow torque procedure. I had mine back off the crank snout and go against the steering rack on the dyno. new front seal and another GM crank bolt WITH lock tight and it was good to go!
Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Jason 98 TA
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Also don't forget the TSP underdrive C5/C6 crank pulley! We have them in stock & priced very attractively!!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:36 PM
BrianLWheeler
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSOMZ51
I am in the middle of a H/C upgrade on my 2005 Z51 C6 and since my VIN# is in the first 11000 made in 2005 and there was a TSB notice on the stock harmonic balancer, I've decided to go ahead and replace my stock unit to hopefully avoid a future issue. It seems that a lot of people have been having success with the Powerbond HBs so I'm leaning that way since the ATIs are very expensive. I'm interested in the race series Powerbond model PB1117SS, but it looks like it already has a rectangular shaped key on it (see pic). How would I pin this balancer if my crank has never been pinned? Most of the pinning kits I've found on the web look like they have round pins versus what the PB1117SS has. Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations?

Hey guys! Brian from Dayco here. First off, good question. The stock GM Corvette and almost all GM late model harmonic balancers use a press fit and bolt to secure the harmonic balancer to the crankshaft. As car owners make more horsepower, it adds more torque against the press fit and could, and most likely will, cause the harmonic balancer to spin on the crankshaft. There is no danger of the harmonic balancer coming off, but there are certain timing issues that will result. PowerBond by Dayco “keys” our performance late mode GM harmonic balancers and recommends that buyers have their crank shaft “slotted” to add a woodruff key to ensure no slippage will occur. Pinning does not require the slot and essentially does the same thing. If the user elects not to have their crankshaft “keyed” and elects to “pin” the balancer to the crank shaft or do nothing at all, silicone is used in the balancer keyway slot to stop engine oil from coming out. This is not a pressurized oil system so there is no concern from engine forcing the oil by the silicone. Also, note that PowerBond Supercharger Series or SFI Race Series Balancers are dual keyway slotted for the ultimate in balancer strength on the crankshaft. To date, we have never seen a PowerBond keyway compromised. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
maustin195 (11-06-2016)
Old 01-07-2015, 01:43 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I used the SFI model LS cranks are not keyed the HB goes on the same and it gets pinned the same as any other. use the side opposite the key way, car runs soooo much smoother
Old 01-07-2015, 02:50 PM
DSOMZ51
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrianLWheeler
Hey guys! Brian from Dayco here. First off, good question. The stock GM Corvette and almost all GM late model harmonic balancers use a press fit and bolt to secure the harmonic balancer to the crankshaft. As car owners make more horsepower, it adds more torque against the press fit and could, and most likely will, cause the harmonic balancer to spin on the crankshaft. There is no danger of the harmonic balancer coming off, but there are certain timing issues that will result. PowerBond by Dayco “keys” our performance late mode GM harmonic balancers and recommends that buyers have their crank shaft “slotted” to add a woodruff key to ensure no slippage will occur. Pinning does not require the slot and essentially does the same thing. If the user elects not to have their crankshaft “keyed” and elects to “pin” the balancer to the crank shaft or do nothing at all, silicone is used in the balancer keyway slot to stop engine oil from coming out. This is not a pressurized oil system so there is no concern from engine forcing the oil by the silicone. Also, note that PowerBond Supercharger Series or SFI Race Series Balancers are dual keyway slotted for the ultimate in balancer strength on the crankshaft. To date, we have never seen a PowerBond keyway compromised. Hope this helps.
Hi, Brian. Thanks for the great info!
Old 01-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Emfuser
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Good suggestion. I'll give them a call. I think I'll also give Summit a call because they have a SFI rated harmonic balance that looks pretty good too (SUM-C2501).
That's the one I just ordered.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good info, Brian from Dayco! Thanks.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:28 PM
jgump
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Use the ATI pin kit from the side.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:02 AM
dentalfloss
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I recently installed this balancer. I did not know that I should seal the keyway. I never gave it a thought and there were no instructions to do so. I presently does not leak and the only thing I can think is the bolt head is sealing the keyway. I may be wrong about all this.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:06 AM
vegas.wr450@gmail.co
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you are pinning the crank with the ATI kit (from the side), you drill a small hole in the side of the front crank snout and insert a round pin. It sticks out just about .1". Now when you install your aftermarket HB, you line the pin up with the notch in the HB and slide her on. Yes, only needs to be pinned if supercharged. I just bought a supercharged car and it wasnt pinned. Luckily I caught it before it started slipping or grenaded the HB
Old 11-02-2016, 08:22 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianLWheeler
You mention "certain timing issues will result"? Don't understand this comment. What timing issues will result if the HB turns on the CS? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:48 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
You mention "certain timing issues will result"? Don't understand this comment. What timing issues will result if the HB turns on the CS? Thanks.
timing issues would be the least of your problems if hb spins on your crank.spinning will damage your crank snout!!!timing issues I believe he is talking about is some of these hb's have timing marks on the circumference of them.to most of us this is not an issue as we don't time our cars with these timing marks
Old 11-05-2016, 11:34 AM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I use this balancer with my Blown LS7 and have had zero issues so fare. I have a keyed crank but I would just pin it. No need for the race modle (2 keysS) order what ever you find with the best price. I found mine for like under $200 shipped.
I like the fact that it doesn't have have all the bolts to deal with....

Get notified of new replies

To Powerbond Harmonic Balancer Install Question

Old 11-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

There are no timing issues that would occur since timing is based upon the reluctor wheel and the crankshaft/camshaft position sensor. The timing marks on the balancer are completely useless for that matter
Old 11-05-2016, 02:09 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
There are no timing issues that would occur since timing is based upon the reluctor wheel and the crankshaft/camshaft position sensor. The timing marks on the balancer are completely useless for that matter
I know that, just wanted to hear what the original poster was thinking.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:32 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

I installed a powerbond last year when my ATI failed in my LS7

I just sealed the keyway with red rtv. No leaks for me.

Last edited by ttx350z; 11-06-2016 at 11:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Powerbond Harmonic Balancer Install Question