C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major electronic problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 04:58 PM
BunnyBoy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Major electronic problems

Any help would be great here. As I'm at a loss and pretty discouraged.

2 years ago I put on the COH Service column lock bypass. Was good for a year. After 1 year it started to give me the service column lock message again but still started. I than put in a cam and headers on the car and got it tuned. After having that done 6 months the car would leave my stranded with the service column lock message and I would cycle the start button and it would eventually start. in OCT last year it became completely undriveable as it would not start only 1 out of 100 start switch cycles and just blast the service column lock message.

Also the following should be noted. I do get the no fobs detected message a lot even when the fob is in the glove box. When i did cruise the car last year on the interstate after about 80 miles of driving in hot weather the car would kick out out my cruise/ and keep my brake lights on and disable all systems. I could clear the error by sometimes pulling to the side and shutting off and restarting. If the car cooled down and restarted I could cruise 80-100 miles with it and it would come on again.

I have done the following: Checked the battery 12.56 volts with 586 cranking amps. Replaced the starter and silonoid. re seated the column lock bypass checked cables.

Is this a possible bad BCM? Are there any other things I can check?

If it is the BCM, I have to take it to the dealer to get the BCM reprogrammed to the car. Will they re flash the aftermarket tune I have on my computer with a stock tune?

I'm at a loss here because I don't know what else it could be.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:11 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

How old is the battery? If 12.56 is the voltage with car running that's low. A low battery will cause all kinds of malfunctions.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:13 PM
BunnyBoy
Advanced

Originally Posted by EVRose
How old is the battery? If 12.56 is the voltage with car running that's low. A low battery will cause all kinds of malfunctions.
that is tested at the the parts store. Not running.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:13 PM
BunnyBoy
Advanced

Originally Posted by BunnyBoy
that is tested at the the parts store. Not running.
Battery is two years old. AC DELCO
Old 03-09-2015, 05:18 PM
EVRose
Race Director

2 years old and with all those electrical problems, I would replace it.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:19 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Battery is two years old. AC DELCO
Not sure were BunnyBoy land is, but if you live in Florida, AZ or other high temp area, it could be junk.

I sold my first battery in 1972 and retired from the largest battery company in the world Nov of 2013, heat kills batteries.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:46 PM
BunnyBoy
Advanced

Originally Posted by timd38
Not sure were BunnyBoy land is, but if you live in Florida, AZ or other high temp area, it could be junk.

I sold my first battery in 1972 and retired from the largest battery company in the world Nov of 2013, heat kills batteries.
I live in South Dakota.

Even if its holding the charge the parts store says you think I should still replace it?
Old 03-09-2015, 05:55 PM
BunnyBoy
Advanced

I do try to put a battery charger on but it doesn't really seem to help it start.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Ultrasport05
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My car had a weak battery and had trouble starting. I brought it to the auto parts store and it tested fine. Bought a new one just for piece of mind. Solved my issue
Old 03-09-2015, 07:10 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I think you should fix the column lock error before chasing down anything else -- that's a known electrical bogey. Those column lock eliminator boxes have been known to go bad (mine did on an earlier Corvette)
Old 03-09-2015, 10:57 PM
BunnyBoy
Advanced

Update - Cleaned up the ground on the frame and the car started 3 times within a 5 minute period( didn't run it long both times). Than it went back to its normal thing not starting. It still gave the service column lock during this whole process.

I was thinking about ordering another column lock but right now I'm leaning toward the battery??
Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Starting 3 times in 5 minutes without any time to charge in between took a big bite out of that battery.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:16 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Best bet, the lock eliminator went bad (to much heat when soldering to the relay post) and causing a problem now.

You can see if COH will replace it (they had problems with the units with using too much heat soldering the relay), or if not, then buy a new one from here (this is the guy that design and built them for COH before he left, and COH started to make them for themselves instead (and had problems making them since they where using too much heat to solder on the relay),
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111224872230?lpid=82&chn=ps
As for testing your unit, pull it out of the car,

Put 12V to the red/black wires, and look for ohm reading between the two green wires. Now put 12 volts to the red/black again, but this time put the 12+ to the black wire, and the 12- to the red wire (will hear a light click as the relay locks the other direction), and check for a ohm reading between the two green wired again.

The relay in the unit is a locking relay, and to lock in the other direction, the volt is reverse through the coil side and how the car switches the relay as well. On the contractor side of the relay, there is two resistors that switches the green wires resistance values as relay is switch the other direction. In the car, this makes the car believe that the lock is either unlocked with one value, or locked with the other resistance value through the green wires

So with the relay switch one direction and no resistance across the green wires with the relay locked that direction, then the relay pins where over heated when the resistors where being solders on, and why the unit is defective (was border line before, and now gone instead).

And no, if the relay is soldered with the correct heat range (instead of too hot), then the device will last decades.
To add the relay will switch all the way down to 9v's.

P.S, before you order one from kfn01(if COH will not warranty the unit), email kfn01 since it may be one of the ones that he made for COH while he was still there, and he will warranty it for you instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-10-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:33 PM
BunnyBoy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dano523
Best bet, the lock eliminator went bad (to much heat when soldering to the relay post) and causing a problem now.

You can see if COH will replace it (they had problems with the units with using too much heat soldering the relay), or if not, then buy a new one from here (this is the guy that design and built them for COH before he left, and COH started to make them for themselves instead (and had problems making them since they where using too much heat to solder on the relay),
2005 C6 Corvette Steering Column Lock Bypass Simple Plug No Hard Wiring | eBay

As for testing your unit, pull it out of the car,

Put 12V to the red/black wires, and look for ohm reading between the two green wires. Now put 12 volts to the red/black again, but this time put the 12+ to the black wire, and the 12- to the red wire (will hear a light click as the relay locks the other direction), and check for a ohm reading between the two green wired again.

The relay in the unit is a locking relay, and to lock in the other direction, the volt is reverse through the coil side and how the car switches the relay as well. On the contractor side of the relay, there is two resistors that switches the green wires resistance values as relay is switch the other direction. In the car, this makes the car believe that the lock is either unlocked with one value, or locked with the other resistance value through the green wires

So with the relay switch one direction and no resistance across the green wires with the relay locked that direction, then the relay pins where over heated when the resistors where being solders on, and why the unit is defective (was border line before, and now gone instead).

And no, if the relay is soldered with the correct heat range (instead of too hot), then the device will last decades.
To add the relay will switch all the way down to 9v's.

P.S, before you order one from kfn01(if COH will not warranty the unit), email kfn01 since it may be one of the ones that he made for COH while he was still there, and he will warranty it for you instead.

Update:

I replaced the service column lock Bypass - No dice still same issue

Replaced battery - No dice Same issue again

I have no idea what to do next.

BCM?
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Check the alternator...
Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 PM
BunnyBoy
Advanced

Originally Posted by sallen619
Check the alternator...
It's a brand new battery.... Car wont start even after that...
Old 03-16-2015, 10:40 PM
BunnyBoy
Advanced

Could it be this?

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=15915003

Get notified of new replies

To Major electronic problems

Old 03-17-2015, 01:21 AM
george536
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If there is a fresh bypass and fresh batt and your having lighting issues/starting still i would start suspecting bcm also. Maybe check the seating of the pins on the bcm wiggle test it to see if you can better or replicate your problem.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:23 AM
BunnyBoy
Advanced

What is so weird about the whole thing is service column lock comes right away. In accessory mode right away even after I clear the code and dont go to start.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:45 AM
EVRose
Race Director

What is so weird about the whole thing is service column lock comes right away. In accessory mode right away even after I clear the code and dont go to start.
Was the SCL on the dic when you installed the new eliminator? It has to be unlocked and that notice can't be there before you install it.

Quick Reply: Major electronic problems