C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission and Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 09:07 PM
Bcmayo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission and Check engine light

Hi. I was driving my 2008 c6 automatic today and the transmission got stuck in low gear and would not shift up. I tried doing it manually with no luck as well. When this happened the check engine light came on. After a few minutes and shutting the engine off the transmission started shifting again but the check engine indicator remained on. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:22 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

You'll need to pull the OBD II trouble code(s) to be sure. Likely an internal switch or valve though.....or could simply be a random glitch. Get the codes then come back. Most auto parts stores like Autozone will read the codes for no charge.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Bcmayo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RicK T
You'll need to pull the OBD II trouble code(s) to be sure. Likely an internal switch or valve though.....or could simply be a random glitch. Get the codes then come back. Most auto parts stores like Autozone will read the codes for no charge.
Will do. Thanks
Old 05-18-2015, 02:27 AM
lonegunman182
Advanced

Default bro....

Have you checked your tranny fluid lvl lately?
Old 05-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Bcmayo
Intermediate

Default Results

A very good friend of mine is a local Buick GMC dealer. He had his chief service tech run the diagnostics and it came back with a PO 700 code. And said something about the fourth gear solenoid stuck on. He reset the check engine light and it is not come back on yet. They are not set up to work on Corvettes and don't really know what is going on. Any ideas? Thank you very much.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:55 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bcmayo
A very good friend of mine is a local Buick GMC dealer. He had his chief service tech run the diagnostics and it came back with a PO 700 code. And said something about the fourth gear solenoid stuck on. He reset the check engine light and it is not come back on yet. They are not set up to work on Corvettes and don't really know what is going on. Any ideas? Thank you very much.
Well, he only gave you half the codes. The P0700 should be accompanied by at least one other "actual" trouble code. The P0700 is just the TCM telling the car computer to set the CEL, it doesn't mean anything by itself.

As for the 4th gear solenoid, I'm not familiar with that specifically but it sounds as expected in my original post, one of those internal valves, solenoids or switches is what usually goes bad on these transmissions. If it is bad I'm "pretty sure" it can be accessed by just removing the pan but you'll have to check with an actual tech on that. Probably going to have to go to a dealer or independent Vette mechanic.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:39 PM
Bcmayo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RicK T
Well, he only gave you half the codes. The P0700 should be accompanied by at least one other "actual" trouble code. The P0700 is just the TCM telling the car computer to set the CEL, it doesn't mean anything by itself.

As for the 4th gear solenoid, I'm not familiar with that specifically but it sounds as expected in my original post, one of those internal valves, solenoids or switches is what usually goes bad on these transmissions. If it is bad I'm "pretty sure" it can be accessed by just removing the pan but you'll have to check with an actual tech on that. Probably going to have to go to a dealer or independent Vette mechanic.
Thanks. My friend is going to take it to the local dealer where they can do further diagnostics. Its my understanding that if the transmission had to come out, it's extremely expensive.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:42 PM
Daves_Vette
5th Gear

I just had this happen not more than 15 minutes ago. Driving along after work and CEL comes on. Noticed that revs were climbing and not going to next gear. Pulled over shut it down and waited for a bit. Turn car back on and CEL still on but shifting seemed "normal". Ran it by auto store to hook up and run codes. P0700 and P2175 is what came back. Guy tried to clear codes but no luck doing so. Hopped back in and limped it home. Have been calling around and I've been told it is something as simple as low or bad Tran fluid or could be a mech failure and need full diagnostic and repair. I'll keep others posted if I hear more. So much for spending money on a power adder if the tranny is shot.

Last edited by Daves_Vette; 05-22-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:52 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Daves_Vette
I just had this happen not more than 15 minutes ago. Driving along after work and CEL comes on. Noticed that revs were climbing and not going to next gear. Pulled over shut it down and waited for a bit. Turn car back on and CEL still on but shifting seemed "normal". Ran it by auto store to hook up and run codes. P0700 and P2175 is what came back. Guy tried to clear codes but no luck doing so. Hopped back in and limped it home. Have been calling around and I've been told it is something as simple as low or bad Tran fluid or could be a mech failure and need full diagnostic and repair. I'll keep others posted if I hear more. So much for spending money on a power adder if the tranny is shot.
I've never seen that one here. I did a search and didn't find any reference to it here either, ever. So it's rare.

Google search shows it as......."Throttle Actuator Ctrl Sys-Low Airflow Detected". So I don't think it has anything to do with a trashed transmission. Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:03 PM
Aaron A
Cruising

Originally Posted by Daves_Vette
This just happened to me on my 09 base...... what was the outcome of this repair?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 PM
schampion
2nd Gear

Default Transmission and Check Engine Light

2006 C6 Corvette with 6-speed automatic transmission had check engine light and would not shift properly. Southern California dealer reported DTC P0700 and P1825 for TCM Internal Mode Switch internally shorted. They removed the transmission fluid pan and pump filter, then replaced the internal mode switch and filter. Clean fluid pan, reinstall, transmission fluid, and tested. Total Cost $1,269.97 (Parts were $162.97 and labor was $1,107.00)

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission and Check engine light

Quick Reply: Transmission and Check engine light