C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0700 Code ONLY !

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:15 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, picked the car up yesterday, drove it home. It shifted really nice and felt better than it ever has. Drove to Walmart tonight and gave them some money. Then I got in the car and was driving home, still shifting nice and everthing seemed fine. I look down and there is that dang CEL again. I put my cheap code reader on it and bam.. P0700 again! I cleared it and went home but now what?

My dealer, none of the local dealers here have a Corvette Mechanic, especially transmission mechanic that works for them every day. So I have to schedule it 10 to 14 days out, and the code must be on when I bring it.

That means I either drive to the CEL comes on and then park it until I drive it there which who knows how long that could be. Or I make the appointment and then hope the CEL comes on before the appointment or cycle it as much as I can the days prior in hopes it comes on, or, I find someone who knows what the hell the causes are for this generic code.

Not some guy put less pressure on his right butt cheek than his left and it stopped or he said she said it may be this.

Someone who knows these cars and transmissions that can say the generic P0700 code is caused by this, this, this or that. So it is one of those things or if only one thing causes it, what is it and how is it fixed?

I am getting tired of this, it will not go away like a bad case of herpes, not that I know, just saying..
Old 07-16-2015, 11:35 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

I went by a friends car lot and had him use his scanner on my car to see if it found or showed anything different than what mine showed me. His reader gave the DTC P0700A code where mine just gave the P0700. Mine did say there were two DTC codes but only shows the one.

Like I said previously, after I take the car and get the transmission fixed and the new speed sensor installed, I already have an appointment scheduled with my local Chevrolet Dealer to have them put it on a Tech II and either tell me what is wrong so I can fix it or let them fix it, and just pay the bill and be happy it is finally fixed.

Does the P0700A code tell anyone anything more or no?
Old 07-17-2015, 08:57 AM
zali0104
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OP.........have you read the posts made by others in YOUR thread? No one here can help you without information gathered from a proper diagnostic tool.
There is one module controlling the transmission (TCM) and another controlling the engine (PCM). When the TCM detects a problem mechanical or electronic, a code(s) is generated and stored in memory. The TCM then sends a signal to the PCM that there IS a problem but no specifics. This signal is the "P0700" code. Most generic code readers that you pay $50 for can only read emission codes from the PCM. Any information stored in the TCM would require a more comprehensive tool.
With all due respect, your friend's car lot is not a repair facility. Honestly these people just clear codes and sell cars. You need to make the effort, go to one of those strange places you drive by every day that have a big sign over the door that says, "AUTO DIAGNOSTIC REPAIR." There you will find not car salesmen but REAL automotive technicians with REAL diagnostic tools that can help you. Might cost $100........cheaper than herpes, lol
The dealer changed the speed sensor because he was lazy and only used the information gained from his Tech2 to form a diagnosis. The fact that a code has returned indicates to me that you may actually have an intermittent harness related issue and not the actual sensor.

Last edited by zali0104; 07-17-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:35 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by zali0104
OP.........have you read the posts made by others in YOUR thread? No one here can help you without information gathered from a proper diagnostic tool.
There is one module controlling the transmission (TCM) and another controlling the engine (PCM). When the TCM detects a problem mechanical or electronic, a code(s) is generated and stored in memory. The TCM then sends a signal to the PCM that there IS a problem but no specifics. This signal is the "P0700" code. Most generic code readers that you pay $50 for can only read emission codes from the PCM. Any information stored in the TCM would require a more comprehensive tool.
With all due respect, your friend's car lot is not a repair facility. Honestly these people just clear codes and sell cars. You need to make the effort, go to one of those strange places you drive by every day that have a big sign over the door that says, "AUTO DIAGNOSTIC REPAIR." There you will find not car salesmen but REAL automotive technicians with REAL diagnostic tools that can help you. Might cost $100........cheaper than herpes, lol
The dealer changed the speed sensor because he was lazy and only used the information gained from his Tech2 to form a diagnosis. The fact that a code has returned indicates to me that you may actually have an intermittent harness related issue and not the actual sensor.
Yes I have glanced at them from time to time considering the purpose of my post was to get ideas or help from them..lol

I am aware of how and why the code is set, just not what is wrong. As I stated getting that information where I live is not that easy if you read my posts but I do have it planned after I do get this last thing fixed with the transmission by having it put on a Tech II.

Also it is not random, it is like clock work, after every 3 or 4 drives it sets the CEL and the P0700 code.

I guess I should have elaborated on my Car Lot friend but I did not, any way, I am just updating this and hope to be able to solve my and maybe other P0700 code in the next few weeks.

With my luck, I will have it fixed just in time for my shoulder surgery which will really dampen any fun driving I may have wanted to do.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:34 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Well, I had my transmission rebuilt again, I am still getting the P0700 code and I am more and more convinced the problem is the TCM. The transmission and speed odometer are doing all kinds of wacky and crazy things, and it was only rebuilt 2 days ago so either my transmission mechanic that has been doing this for his entire life on a transmission that has been around forever is a total idiot or it has to be the TCM or related.

I mean it is doing wacky stuff, and not every time, hit and miss. On an initial cold start it feels like the brakes are on in reverse, the speed odometer is jerky and jumpy and when I let off the gas to slow for a red light it said I was doing 0 when I was doing 20 or more. Then at times when I take off in first gear it feels like its slipping and I have to give it 10 times too much gas and rpms and then I can pull out again and it works fine. Not to mention while coasting it will throw itself from second to 3rd and back again for no reason.
The only code is the P0700 so I am going to the dealer Tuesday and hopefully we can fix this once and for all.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:43 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Default ** update **

Well, I finally have my car at the Chevrolet Dealer Service Center.

Picked up my car last Friday after getting it rebuilt again, (4) times now. I bought a new VSS AC Delco just in case and installed it while they had it out. Picked the car up, drove it a few days and it is acting crazier than ever. The CEL came on, I parked it, then dropped off at the dealer today.

Initial diagnostics from the Tech II show the VSS signal dropping out.

The possible causes are the new VSS is bad, wiring harness problem, TCM or the Reluctor Ring in the differential.

I can understand most of these but how can the Reluctor Ring be bad or go bad? It is a metal ring that spins? Does anyone know how this could be or become defective?

The tech is not sure this is the only issue but this issue has to be resolved before any other issue can be resolved or diagnosed. I will update when I know something.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:56 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Highly doubt that part could go bad short of just all out being broken by something, which I imagine you'd know about..

It's basically attached to the ring gear.

It's likely included as an option because if somehow something were wrong with it, it could cause weird things to happen with the VSS signal, not necessarily because it's very likely.

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-11-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:47 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Default ** update **

Well here is the current update. On me I am swollen and in a lot of pain, I had shoulder surgery Friday, I have 5 holes cut in me and surgery alone, not pre or post-op, surgery alone was over 3 hours, lots of work was done.

Now, on my car. After the initial inspection, the dealer has to re-route the brake line (Previous mechanic run it wrong), he has to replace the VSS part of the harness (Previous mechanic broke and tried to splice a used one on it), Differential is leaking (Previous mechanic damaged seal, I brought it to his attention, he did not replace it, said it was fine). All this work and mostly labor has to be done first, to fix these issues, before they can diagnose my main reason to begin with, the P0700 code.

Cost for me to pay for the dealer to fix what the transmission mechanic and his employee's damaged, so far $1100.

Only then can they attempt to find the main reason, the P0700 code I have been chasing since last year unsuccessfully.

I feel this is wrong and want the transmission mechanic to reimburse me for the $1100, either as a professional or by court order. Therefore, I will be putting my legal knowledge to work again, but not real familiar with Tennessee small claims processes.

These repairs are estimated to be completed Tuesday, August 18, will update as I find out (Get screwed) more.

Any helpful comments or legal help appreciated or best way to get the transmission mechanic to do the right thing the easiest way.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:45 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:18 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Default ** update **

** UPDATE **

The update is that there is no update yet which I really do not feel good about. I last spoke to them late on Friday the 14th and at that time they said they needed to order parts and that they should have them and have this stuff installed by Tuesday the 18th which is today.

So not sure if the parts did arrive or if they got to start it or work on it yet but I would assume I will hear from them tomorrow, Wednesday the 19th and as much as I really wish it would be great news I have a bad feeling that it will only be more bad news but also good I guess.

Bad news will at least tell me they worked on it and that they are finding or found problems that need repair or replacement which, while being bad news hopefully puts me closer to finally getting it fixed so I can, for the first time since I have owned the car, enjoy it.

With winter time and all the rain we have in this area, there are not a lot of optimal driving days so when the driving season is here and the car spends weeks and months sitting in the air on a lift, the good days go by fast.

I have had that car out of my garage, trying to get to the bottom of this problem for at least 15 solid weeks this year and most of it since around May. We are at week 34 now and I know it has been in the shop 15 weeks so that is almost 50% of the time this year.

Now, before anyone thinks I am bashing Corvettes, Chevrolet or anything like that or get the impression that I am saying or it seems like Corvettes are nothing but trouble and always breaking. That is NOT the case so please do not think I am.

I made poor decisions which is the primary cause of the cost and time it is taking to resolve this issue. I trusted a mechanic that has always done a great job and I had never had a problem with prior so there was no reason to think this would be different. However, the car as a newer, and different than his normal work, in conjunction with his health and personal problems have drastically changed and impacted his work.

This all started when I had the car serviced by the local Chevrolet Service Department and had the transmission flushed (Not drained and filled), no prior transmission symptoms or DTC or CEL related to the transmission at all.

After the service, I drove the car 3-5 times and got a CEL, I had it scanned and it came back as P0700 and P1870, it was the P0700 and the Trans Component Slipping Code.

At that moment I should have returned it o the dealer and had them Diagnose the problem and then proceed with the needed repairs based on he results from the Tech II, even if I did have to pay the fee. Making that decision instead of the one and the ones that followed would have saved me months of time without the car and enjoying it, and it would have saved me at least well over $5000 at this point and could end up being more.

That is an expensive lesson to be learned, the decision to take it right back to the dealer and getting the Tech II to diagnose it would have saved me thousands of dollars and weeks of not having the car and the headaches and fuel and frustration that I have dealt with for most of this year.

Moral of the story, if you have a problem with your Corvette, take it to the local Chevrolet Dealer Service Center, get it diagnosed by the experts who know these cars. Then, if you want Bob's Garage to fix what the diagnostics told you is broken then go ahead, or if you feel it is above Bob's head, let the dealer fix it. But by going first to the Chevrolet Dealer and getting it professionally and properly diagnosed the first time is the very best first step in the process.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:25 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

wow...all this started from a tranny flush? "preventive maintenance"? I've read so many horror stories about tranny "flushes" it ain't even funny. sorry to hear of your troubles as it sounds like a nightmare.
hope you finally get it sorted.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:30 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
wow...all this started from a tranny flush? "preventive maintenance"? I've read so many horror stories about tranny "flushes" it ain't even funny. sorry to hear of your troubles as it sounds like a nightmare.
hope you finally get it sorted.
YES ! It all started with a transmission flush that was done s a preventative measure, I had just purchased the car, not sure how the vehicle was maintained so I did it to help and in hopes to avoid future problems, not sure about the road to hell but the road to the service department is paved with good intentions.

I am not saying this did or did not cause anything for those that may want to debate that, I am simply stating what I did and when and what the results were. Each can make their own decision.

***** UPDATE *****

I spoke to the service department today, my specific service person is off today so what I have is sketchy, will know more details and specifics tomorrow I hope.

From what I was told today is that my vehicle is ready and is done. Now, as I mentioned, I was told this round of repairs had to be completed first before the primary reason could be diagnosed or repaired. I am not sure if "Done" means the first round of repairs are done and I can pick it up, or, if "Done" means it is done and everything is fixed including the primary reason I took it there to begin with, I will find this out tomorrow.

If it is just this round of repairs then it should take about 5 days or less with good weather for me to be able o drive the car in enough situations and cycles to cause the CEL for the P0700 DTC if that part is not fixed. If not, it will go right back to the dealer for the Tech II and diagnostics to finally find out the problem that has been a problem for over a year.

I will also detail what repairs were made this round and why they were made and my total cost out of my pocket for this round of repairs.

Let's all cross our fingers and hope all of the problems are fixed and that I can finally enjoy the car like it should be!

Old 08-19-2015, 09:58 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Oh, on a positive note, they fixed or repaired the headlight recall for me while it was there, so that is done.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:26 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

good luck man...I'm rootin' for ya!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:40 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostC6
YES ! It all started with a transmission flush that was done s a preventative measure, I had just purchased the car, not sure how the vehicle was maintained so I did it to help and in hopes to avoid future problems, not sure about the road to hell but the road to the service department is paved with good intentions.

I am not saying this did or did not cause anything for those that may want to debate that, I am simply stating what I did and when and what the results were. Each can make their own decision.

***** UPDATE *****

I spoke to the service department today, my specific service person is off today so what I have is sketchy, will know more details and specifics tomorrow I hope.

From what I was told today is that my vehicle is ready and is done. Now, as I mentioned, I was told this round of repairs had to be completed first before the primary reason could be diagnosed or repaired. I am not sure if "Done" means the first round of repairs are done and I can pick it up, or, if "Done" means it is done and everything is fixed including the primary reason I took it there to begin with, I will find this out tomorrow.

If it is just this round of repairs then it should take about 5 days or less with good weather for me to be able o drive the car in enough situations and cycles to cause the CEL for the P0700 DTC if that part is not fixed. If not, it will go right back to the dealer for the Tech II and diagnostics to finally find out the problem that has been a problem for over a year.

I will also detail what repairs were made this round and why they were made and my total cost out of my pocket for this round of repairs.

Let's all cross our fingers and hope all of the problems are fixed and that I can finally enjoy the car like it should be!

You mentioned in a previous post you had a P1870 code at least once . Is that what drove all of the transmission rebuilding? That code can also be generated by an incorrect ring and pinion gear. Do you know if the ring and pinion have ever been changed?

Bill
Old 08-20-2015, 08:03 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You mentioned in a previous post you had a P1870 code at least once . Is that what drove all of the transmission rebuilding? That code can also be generated by an incorrect ring and pinion gear. Do you know if the ring and pinion have ever been changed?

Bill
Bill,

After I had the transmission flushed, shortly after the first codes appeared, which were the P1870 and the P0700 code. I was getting that code on a regular basis, I would clear it, drive it, after a few cycles it would be back, this went on all last year then winter came and I planned on getting it repaired come warm weather.

Warm weather arrived, my top of the line parts arrived and I had the transmission rebuilt by someone I had used many years with no problems, until this. The P0700 and P1870 is what prompted all the rebuilding, none of which stopped the P0700 code but it did stop the P1870 code. The P0700 code reappeared within a few cycles every time the transmission was rebuilt.

The car is currently displaying the P1870 code and the Technician said it is all transmission related.

I will ask if the Tech checked the differential to see if it could be the cause of the P1870 code or not. To my knowledge, the differential has not been cracked open so no, they have not been repaired or replaced or changed.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:04 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

I have an update to add later.

Get notified of new replies

To P0700 Code ONLY !

Old 08-21-2015, 10:06 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GhostC6
I have an update to add later.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:03 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Default ** update **

** UPDATE **

I finally was able to go by the service department and talk to them and get the correct information and where the car is at this point.

The Brake Line that was bent and installed in the wrong location was fixed.

Also, the VSS wiring harness was repaired and a connection on one of the harness's had a pin pushed in and was not getting contact and that was resolved so the VSS problems is resolved.

The third problem they were going to address was a leak between the transmission and the differential which I thought was the differential seal where the transmission output shaft goes into the differential. I was told that the differential seal was not leaking, therefore no repair.

The new Key FOB #2 I bought from a GM Online place could not be programmed and is testing as bad so they cannot program it and now I have to try and get them to swap it out for a good one and since some time has passed from when I purchased it and when the dealer was able to tell me it was defective has been 5 months so I am working on that now.

During this and the inspection they found several bolt, nuts and connectors that were either wrong or used in the wrong place by the previous mechanic, these issues were resolved and corrected.

Remaining Problems

They found out that the leak was not coming from the differential but rather it is coming from the transmission seal.

There is still no converter lockup (was supposed to have been fixed during last rebuild).

There is no overdrive (was supposed to have been fixed during last rebuild).

The binding in reverse is a cross leak in the valve body gasket resulting in feeling the brakes are fully engage in reverse (was supposed to have been fixed during last rebuild).

In short, the transmission is bad, the repair options are as follows: Have the transmission guy rebuild it again (Would be the 7th time since May), another option is a new transmission and torque converter, another option is a used transmission and torque converter, another option is to pay someone else to rebuild the existing transmission.

From these options the only acceptable to me options are to get a new transmission and converter or to pay someone else to rebuild the transmission and converter.

Since I was lucky enough to have a friend that had a brand new, in the crate, GM transmission and torque converter for my car that he let me have for a great price, I went for that option. All parts are brand new and never used and the warranty will begin when the GM Dealer installs it.

I picked up the transmission yesterday after I spoke to the service department and I dropped it off to them today. The very picky mechanic looked everything over and gave it a thumbs up which is a very good thing since he knows these cars like he personally created them (The kind of mechanic you do want to work on your car).

They said that they should have the transmission done and installed by Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe sooner maybe a day later but it will be done by Friday, August 28 2015 at the latest and that this should resolve all the transmission issues and solve the problem and the car could finally be done. Yes I am having the GM service install the new transmission because of the lack of trust and lack of ability for my transmission mechanic to do so without doing even more damage, I do not feel he has the ability, knowledge or skill to do anything related to a Corvette without doing more damage to it.

I asked and he did confirm that even after all this is done, if the P0700 code comes back on, they will have to put it on a Tech II and find out what is says at that point which could be a harness problem, TCM problem or something else, but the transmission has to be resolved to get to the point where if the P0700 code does come back on, it can be diagnosed.

At this point, the GM Service Department will be installing the new transmission and torque converter and the car will either be finally fixed and ready to enjoy by Friday, August 28

OR

All other problems except for the cause of the P0700 code will be repaired and the only repairs needed will be to fix whatever is causing the CEL and the P0700 DTC.

At this point, the bill, especially labor, is heartbreaking considering what I have already paid out so far for parts and labor to the transmission mechanic only to be worse off than I was before they ever touched the car.

I will post final numbers when this is all said and done.

Here are a few pics of my sexy new transmission and torque converter, so glad my friend happened to have one that fits my car that is new and in the GM crate.

Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2015, 08:27 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Default ** update **

** UPDATE **

Spoke to the service department today, from what they said it should be, should be ready by tomorrow or by Wednesday the 26th. I will know more tomorrow because I am going by there to pick up my defective brand new key fob, and I am picking up the old transmission in the crate the new one came in since there is no way that is going to fit in the Corvette.

At that point I should know if everything went together correctly, if it is done and if it actually resolved all my problems. Due to the fact they do not drive the car enough to actually trigger the CEL due to the P0700 code. So if they say it is fixed and everything is great, I really will not know until I get it home and have the opportunity (weather) to drive it enough times an under the right conditions to see if all the problems, including the P0700 code are once and for all resolved.

So let's all cross our fingers that the transmission install is a success and that the new transmission and torque converter resolves all my issues and I can finally, for the first time since I bought this car can drive it and enjoy it worry free. That would be so awesome if that happens.

Quick Reply: P0700 Code ONLY !