C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0700 Code ONLY !

Old 08-27-2015, 12:33 AM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default ** update **

** UPDATE **

First off, the reason for the P0700 DTC, was the Torque Converter Slipping and or the Torque Converter not Locking Up, regardless, the specific issue that caused the P0700 DTC for me for months now, was a bad Torque Converter.

Hope this helps anyone in the future that may have the P0700 DTC and cannot figure out what it is.

The folks at Champion Chevrolet has my car ready to go, it was actually ready yesterday but I have not picked it up yet. My new key fob was to arrive today or tomorrow and I want them to program it before I pick it up so I am waiting, if not here tomorrow I am picking up the car anyway. Plus I am trying to determine if I should rob a bank or just a gas station to get the money to pay for it, not sure which has the most cash available....

From what they said, everything is done and working great. The reason/cause for the P0700 DTC was a bad Torque Converter, it was either slipping or failing to lock-up which resulted in the P0700 code, they said they were able to verify that was the problem and that the new one is fine, I really hope this is true.

The new transmission and torque converter went together with no problems and from what they said, it is done, I hope so, maybe I can finally enjoy the car like it is meant to be.

I picked up my old transmission and converter yesterday, got it home, got it out of the crate, I am going to clean the crate and then put the transmission back in it, all holes and things sealed and store it.

There is no reason why this transmission and torque converter could not have been successfully rebuilt and reinstalled into the car. Had that been done the first time all of this unnecessary hassle, headache and ridiculous amount of money could have been avoided.

Unfortunately, clearly the mechanic did not have the ability or will to do it correctly, not the first time, not the second time, not the third time, not the fourth time, and not the fifth time. Out of all of these times, he only had the torque converter rebuilt one time.

He had the torque converter rebuilt the very first time, then, on the test drive he broke the forward sprag, he then, rebuilt the transmission again and gave me the car. A few days after getting the car, the P0700 code came back. I would think if he had the torque converter rebuilt after he broke the forward sprag, it would have solved the problem, but he has to pay for that, so he avoided the expense and only had it rebuilt the one time.

Grant you I had no idea or clue he was doing this or acting like this because he never had before. I have recently spoke to one of his mechanics and he even said he has no clue why he has suddenly become such a liar, thief and crooked as hell, that he use to be a great guy but has recently been doing this to everyone. I will never go back, not for anything, ever.

I am picking the car up tomorrow afternoon so I will update after that and I really hope this is the end of the repairs for a while.

Wish me luck.

Old Transmission pic below
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2017, 09:26 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostC6
** UPDATE **

The update is that there is no update yet which I really do not feel good about. I last spoke to them late on Friday the 14th and at that time they said they needed to order parts and that they should have them and have this stuff installed by Tuesday the 18th which is today.

So not sure if the parts did arrive or if they got to start it or work on it yet but I would assume I will hear from them tomorrow, Wednesday the 19th and as much as I really wish it would be great news I have a bad feeling that it will only be more bad news but also good I guess.

Bad news will at least tell me they worked on it and that they are finding or found problems that need repair or replacement which, while being bad news hopefully puts me closer to finally getting it fixed so I can, for the first time since I have owned the car, enjoy it.

With winter time and all the rain we have in this area, there are not a lot of optimal driving days so when the driving season is here and the car spends weeks and months sitting in the air on a lift, the good days go by fast.

I have had that car out of my garage, trying to get to the bottom of this problem for at least 15 solid weeks this year and most of it since around May. We are at week 34 now and I know it has been in the shop 15 weeks so that is almost 50% of the time this year.

Now, before anyone thinks I am bashing Corvettes, Chevrolet or anything like that or get the impression that I am saying or it seems like Corvettes are nothing but trouble and always breaking. That is NOT the case so please do not think I am.

I made poor decisions which is the primary cause of the cost and time it is taking to resolve this issue. I trusted a mechanic that has always done a great job and I had never had a problem with prior so there was no reason to think this would be different. However, the car as a newer, and different than his normal work, in conjunction with his health and personal problems have drastically changed and impacted his work.

This all started when I had the car serviced by the local Chevrolet Service Department and had the transmission flushed (Not drained and filled), no prior transmission symptoms or DTC or CEL related to the transmission at all.

After the service, I drove the car 3-5 times and got a CEL, I had it scanned and it came back as P0700 and P1870, it was the P0700 and the Trans Component Slipping Code.

At that moment I should have returned it o the dealer and had them Diagnose the problem and then proceed with the needed repairs based on he results from the Tech II, even if I did have to pay the fee. Making that decision instead of the one and the ones that followed would have saved me months of time without the car and enjoying it, and it would have saved me at least well over $5000 at this point and could end up being more.

That is an expensive lesson to be learned, the decision to take it right back to the dealer and getting the Tech II to diagnose it would have saved me thousands of dollars and weeks of not having the car and the headaches and fuel and frustration that I have dealt with for most of this year.

Moral of the story, if you have a problem with your Corvette, take it to the local Chevrolet Dealer Service Center, get it diagnosed by the experts who know these cars. Then, if you want Bob's Garage to fix what the diagnostics told you is broken then go ahead, or if you feel it is above Bob's head, let the dealer fix it. But by going first to the Chevrolet Dealer and getting it professionally and properly diagnosed the first time is the very best first step in the process.

It's not my dealer".the dealer i go to does not have any so called experts on corvettes..Just some young kids that don;t know sh^t.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:11 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
It's not my dealer".the dealer i go to does not have any so called experts on corvettes..Just some young kids that don;t know sh^t.
if it matters to anyone, that code, the vague code, essentially what was causing it was my torque converter was bad and was not locking up or putting me in overdrive. So now that its all said and done, if you get that code and maybe if your trans temp is running high, it's the torque converter not the transmission, or it could be the ttc lockup solenoid. After months and almost $6000 it was the freaking torque converter.
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

if it matters to anyone, that code, the vague code, essentially what was causing it was my torque converter was bad and was not locking up or putting me in overdrive. So now that its all said and done, if you get that code and maybe if your trans temp is running high, it's the torque converter not the transmission, or it could be the ttc lockup solenoid. After months and almost $6000 it was the freaking torque converter.
GhostC6: About 2 weeks ago i pulled into a store and when i went to leave the CEL came on,so i pulled over and shut it down then restarted it and it came back on,so i drove it home about 2 miles and it ran and shifted normal.I hooked up my code reader and it gave me P0700 my code reader said it was a tranny problem.I did research on my computer and came up with a few reasons for P0700,but not the torque converter.Anyway i erased the code last week and have been driving it a few miles a day and so far NO CEL. I hope it was just another compurter glich that these car get at times."2008 /Z51 with 77,000 miles"..I posted it in tech section last week and only got one reply 'Tranny Problem' lol.I searched on this fourm and found you with your problem with the P0700...Damm guy I feel for you not having your vette for so long.
Is the TCM inside the tranny?

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 05-22-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: change
Old 05-22-2017, 04:39 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

The TCM trans control module is on the passenger side front fender behind the vent, remove front passenger tire, remove the rear fender liner, and you will see the TCM and ECM. The TCC solenoid is inside the tranny. It take the computer 3 times to turn the cel on so you have to start and stop 3 or more times to trigger it. Keep an eye on your trans temp, if its over 200 that could be a sign, mine was running 240 all the time or more. Plus the trans went into max pressure and shifted very hard and I did not have TCC lockup, when in gear the rpms never dropped low like normal. What else is it doing.
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:17 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

The TCM trans control module is on the passenger side front fender behind the vent, remove front passenger tire, remove the rear fender liner, and you will see the TCM and ECM. The TCC solenoid is inside the tranny. It take the computer 3 times to turn the cel on so you have to start and stop 3 or more times to trigger it. Keep an eye on your trans temp, if its over 200 that could be a sign, mine was running 240 all the time or more. Plus the trans went into max pressure and shifted very hard and I did not have TCC lockup, when in gear the rpms never dropped low like normal. What else is it doing.
I check the tranny temps when I'm on a ride and I've never seen it over 180 degrees....In the DIC i have the coolant temp showing.To me that is the most important temp.If the coolant goes up your engine and tranny temps go up.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:50 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I check the tranny temps when I'm on a ride and I've never seen it over 180 degrees....In the DIC i have the coolant temp showing.To me that is the most important temp.If the coolant goes up your engine and tranny temps go up.
Usually unless you install a transmission cooler with a fan like I did. Before I found out the problem I installed it because mine was too hot. Now that it is fixed it just adds extra cooling so if it is hot, the trans cooler helps keep it a little cooler. But if you do, this may be common sense but that is sometimes over looked, install it on the return line so it first goes into the radiator to cool, then into the trans cooler with fan, then back to the tranny. If you do it first the radiator could actually heat it back up.

So has it done it again or any other problems or symptoms?
Old 05-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Usually unless you install a transmission cooler with a fan like I did. Before I found out the problem I installed it because mine was too hot. Now that it is fixed it just adds extra cooling so if it is hot, the trans cooler helps keep it a little cooler. But if you do, this may be common sense but that is sometimes over looked, install it on the return line so it first goes into the radiator to cool, then into the trans cooler with fan, then back to the tranny. If you do it first the radiator could actually heat it back up.

So has it done it again or any other problems or symptoms?
No CEL for P0700 for about 2 weeks nowAnd i don't have a trans cooler,like i said i have never seen it over 180 degrees and that is intown driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0700 Code ONLY !