C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Tubs for C6 - LPE Mini Tub Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 04:55 PM
87-Rocket
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mini Tubs for C6 - LPE Mini Tub Kit

I am considering installing the LPE mini tub kit (part #L350090105). Before anyone starts in about installing a wide body, please know that I prefer the straight lines of the standard C6 body over the wide body found on the Z06/Grand Sport. My Corvette is equipped as follows: 2005/LS2, Z51 package with 6 speed manual, Magnuson MP112 supercharger, Billy Boat headers and full exhaust system, Calloway cold air intake system, LPE mass air flow sensor and ported throttle body, custom tune from XXX Performance.

I really haven't been able to find much on this subject when doing a search of the Forum. However, I did find one detailed post describing an installation (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...with-pics.html) After reviewing this post, I have a number of questions that I hope someone can help with -

1. It is not clear to me if new shocks are required for this mod. There is no mention of the need for shocks in the description of the LPE kit. The post detailing the tub installation was done around 2008 and mentions the need for new shocks, however, is it possible that LPE made changes to the kit that eliminated the need for new shocks? Can anyone tell me definitively if new shocks required or not?

2. The LPE kit description indicates that it will allow the fitment of "factory looking installation of giant 345/30ZR19 tires on 19 x12 wheels for the rear any 2005 - 2013 C6 Corvette." If I am going to have to buy new wheels anyway, would there be any reason why I couldn't go to a 19 inch front and 20 inch rear wheel as part of this mod? What kind of problems, other than a speedo recalibration, am I going to run into if I go to the larger wheels?

3. The LPE kit description recommends ordering new wheels from HRE, Fikse or Forgeline. I have looked at a couple of the websites for these suppliers and they all want as much or more than $1600 for one wheel. That's about what I am willing to give for a full set of wheels. Is there any other suppliers our there that has reasonably priced wheels for this kind of upgrade?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:55 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Kind of lost here,

You already have the HP to get you past 200mph with the super charger, so why not spend the money on getting the car down force instead?

The down side to all the C6 vets is they all have lift, so the faster you go, the more the car is lifting up and the less the tires are gripping instead.

With down force instead of lift, it allow for greater grip from the tire sizes that already fits on the car at speeds instead.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:23 AM
87-Rocket
Advanced

Dano523:

I an looking for more launch traction than what I have now. First gear is almost useless with anything more than 1/2 throttle. I can get a little bit of traction in second gear by feathering the throttle. The Magnuson MP112 isn't going to make big numbers up top but what it does do is make incredible power right off idle. If I could go with a taller and wider wheel/tire combination then I will have a larger footprint that will hopefully eliminate a lot of the tire smoke that I get now.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:12 PM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

There are quite a few guys in the 9s with the narrowbody and now mini tub. a set of 17s and a good DR or Slick would do the trick for getting the power down

Getting a mini tub and installing 20s seems counter productive

As for the wheels they recommend those are just the high end wheels that they offer. seems like theyre just trying to sell thsoe wheels
Old 08-28-2015, 02:49 PM
87-Rocket
Advanced

GS_DAN:

You are right. A 17" wheel with a wrinkle wall slick would do the trick for quarter mile passes. However, I have no plans to run my car on the track. My plan is to run a good all purpose street tire (Michelin PS2?). As mentioned before, a 345 mm tire on a 20 inch wheel will give me a much larger foot print than the 285 mm tire on a 19 inch wheel that I have now. I am an old drag racer and for us a taller/wider wheel & tire package always equals more traction.

Any suggestions on wheel manufacturers who can do custom sizes would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:13 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default Mini Tubs for C6 - LPE Mini Tub Kit

Going wider will help a bit but it's not going to be a huge difference when you are running a true street tire. I've gone up as much as 50mm in width(same dia wheel) on a previous corvette with a stall converter and the traction improvement was marginal. That car had 335 Michelin pilots, and that car had far less hp than your sc c6.
Have you read the traction monster thread on this forum? It's an oldie but a goodie on tire selection and getting a factory wheel widened to run a drag radial. If it was me I'd just run a drag radial full time, which I do, and I'm only at 460rwhp.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:29 PM
87-Rocket
Advanced

brewcitygymratt:

I may have to do as you suggested. It appears that the LPE kit is no longer available. I guess I could fab up most of the parts I need to do the mod, but I don't think that I would want to go to the trouble.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I just bought a used 2008 Z51 with the mini tub and I think it's great. I don't like the aesthetics of the wide bodies and I've got 345s and well dialed in suspension on this car. It seems to be the best of both worlds to me.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:48 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wanna do the mini tub,, ,what is the cost for only the tub and mounts, no shocks? PM me if necessary

Also, what offset did you go with?
Old 09-16-2015, 06:41 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by LD85
I wanna do the mini tub,, ,what is the cost for only the tub and mounts, no shocks? PM me if necessary

Also, what offset did you go with?
Here on Cf.com. search username 'Gotcha'. He was the previous owner of my car and he documented the minitub he did on my car, well right here. To top it off, Gotcha lives in Indy as well!

I do have the receipts for the parts and they weren't much, $400 w/o the shocks.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:48 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Will do

Get notified of new replies

To Mini Tubs for C6 - LPE Mini Tub Kit

Quick Reply: Mini Tubs for C6 - LPE Mini Tub Kit