C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dexron III

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 05:49 PM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dexron III

I am about to change the auto trans fluid in a 2005 c6. The owners manual calls for DexronIII. Is this fluid still available or can I use DexronVI ?
Old 02-25-2016, 06:33 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Timothy Barth
I am about to change the auto trans fluid in a 2005 c6. The owners manual calls for DexronIII. Is this fluid still available or can I use DexronVI ?
Dex VI is much thinner.

Try this and you won't be disappointed.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9
Old 02-25-2016, 06:51 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Use the VI.

Here is the GM announcement of the VI and it states right at the beginning that it is backward compatible with prior trans:

(the thread is titled wrong, saying dexron 4, it is actually 6)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...exron-4-a.html
Old 02-25-2016, 06:56 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by RicK T
Use the VI.

Here is the GM announcement of the VI and it states right at the beginning that it is backward compatible with prior trans:

(the thread is titled wrong, saying dexron 4, it is actually 6)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...exron-4-a.html
GM did it to reduce SKUs, if you look at the viscosity difference between the two, you would want Dev III.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:55 PM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Originally Posted by timd38
GM did it to reduce SKUs, if you look at the viscosity difference between the two, you would want Dev III.
What are SKU's?
Old 02-25-2016, 08:21 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

What are SKU's?
Stock Keeping Unit = product inventory control number
Old 02-26-2016, 07:54 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

I assume your car is an auto transmission?? If yes, Dexron 6 can certainly be used though the original spec was for Dexron III. If it is a 6-speed manual stick, absolutely do not use Dexron 6 as it is too thin for manuals. There are plenty of aftermarket fluids that meet Dexron III specs that are acceptable for the Tremec manual trannies.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Mobil1 dexIII synthetic ATF is available.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-26-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:07 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I assume your car is an auto transmission?? If yes, Dexron 6 can certainly be used though the original spec was for Dexron III. If it is a 6-speed manual stick, absolutely do not use Dexron 6 as it is too thin for manuals. There are plenty of aftermarket fluids that meet Dexron III specs that are acceptable for the Tremec manual trannies.
100% If it is an auto trans then Dex VI is fine, but if it is a manual, you should absolutely not use Dex VI...use Dex III only. There are many ATF fluids out there that meet Dex III specs but not Dex VI specs...these are the ones to use. I used Mobil One Synthetic ATF, which specifically says that it meets Dex III but not Dex VI. Dex VI has a lower friction coefficient which does not work well with the synchros in a manual trans. It was made to increase gas mileage in automatic transmissions. Mine is a 2007, and Dex VI had been out on the market for years at that point, but mine has a sticker right next to the fill plug that says use Dex III only...they did this for a reason.

Last edited by cclive; 02-28-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:41 PM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Originally Posted by cclive
100% If it is an auto trans then Dex VI is fine, but if it is a manual, you should absolutely not use Dex VI...use Dex III only. There are many ATF fluids out there that meet Dex III specs but not Dex VI specs...these are the ones to use. I used Mobil One Synthetic ATF, which specifically says that it meets Dex III but not Dex VI. Dex VI has a lower friction coefficient which does not work well with the synchros in a manual trans. It was made to increase gas mileage in automatic transmissions. Mine is a 2007, and Dex VI had been out on the market for years at that point, but mine has a sticker right next to the fill plug that says use Dex III only...they did this for a reason.
Mine is an 4sp automatic. If you drop the pan and replace the filter, how much fluid will you have to replace?
Old 02-29-2016, 05:57 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by glass slipper
It was not done to reduce SKUs, GM had to come up with a new fluid/SKU for manual transmissions that used Dexron III before. GM stated Dexron VI is backward compatible with Dexron III first and foremost because it is and secondly because GM stopped monitoring the Dexron III specification after Dexron VI came out meaning any Dexron III transmission fluid you buy today states it meets the Dexron III specs, it does not say it has been approved to the Dexron III specs because GM doesn't even monitor the spec now. If you buy fluid stating it meets the Dexron III specs from a good company like Amsoil or Mobil, you'll be OK.

While there is a difference in viscosity between the Dexron VI and Dexron III when new, the big change when GM went to the Dexron VI is stable viscosity over the life of the fluid. Dexron III actually shears down in viscosity and quickly becomes "thinner" than Dexron VI. There were many other improvements made to Dexron VI vs Dexron III, it's really a no brainer to make the move to Dexron VI when changing automatic transmission fluid in cars originally calling for Dexron III. Dexron VI is a substantial upgrade over Dexron III plus Dexron VI enjoys the added benefit of GM monitoring the spec while you're pretty much on your own with Dexron III.
I am not going to debate it, but we compared Dex III to Dex VI and kept them both. The new Dex HP is almost all PAO and Red Line Dex III and Dex VI is almost all PAO. Look at the centistokes of the different and you will want a PAO lube.

Last edited by timd38; 02-29-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:26 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Mine is an 4sp automatic. If you drop the pan and replace the filter, how much fluid will you have to replace?
Good, then Dex VI is fine. The owners manual says 11.4 quarts, but the converter will not drain so it will be less than that. I don't have a service manual for '05 so I can't tell you how many quarts...but my rule is to buy more than needed and then return the unopened bottles. Someone will chime in with the right amount of fluid.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:15 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I don't have a service manual for '05 so I can't tell you how many quarts...but my rule is to buy more than needed and then return the unopened bottles. Someone will chime in with the right amount of fluid.
For a 2005 the GM eSI says - Overhaul: 10.8 qts & for Pan removal: 5.0 qts.
The following users liked this post:
Timothy Barth (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 11:29 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jft69z
For a 2005 the GM eSI says - Overhaul: 10.8 qts & for Pan removal: 5.0 qts.
Thanks for adding that. Since we can't get the fluid out of the torque converter in order to replace it, what I do is to drain the trans, change the filter and then refill it. This replaces ballpark about half the fluid. I then drive the car for a day and then just drain the fluid again and replace it. This isn't difficult because the second change is just the drain plug and not the pan being removed. Five or six quarts of fluid is not expensive so I don't worry about this extra expense. I did this with my old chevy blazer at 50K, 100K and 150K and the trans was still perfect at 175K when I sold it. Changing the fluid twice doesn't get it all replaced but I feel like it is better than only changing the half that comes out the drain plug.

Get notified of new replies

To Dexron III

Quick Reply: Dexron III