C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Throw Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:43 PM
ZZZASY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Short Throw Shifter

Is the short throw shifters worth the money?

zzzasy
2013 GS,
Old 03-04-2016, 05:15 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZZASY
Is the short throw shifters worth the money?

zzzasy
2013 GS,
I have the MGW shifter in my car and like it much better then the stock unit..It's much more precise then stock, with no slop..It's also much smoother then the stock unit and I can shift it with half the effort..It's one of the best upgrades thats been done.....WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-06-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:56 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
I have the MGW shifter in my car and like it much better then the stock unit..It's much more precise then stock, with no slop..It's also much smoother then the stock unit and I can shift it with half the effort..It's one of the best upgrades you can do......WW
Than there are us that tried it, did not like it ( noise, other shifting problems) and went back to OEM and much prefer it. MGW improves on some areas but like anything else something else suffers. Ended up selling it on the forum for half of what i paid for. The ideal would be to try one with one installed but than that is like test driving a car for 20 minutes, gives you no idea on how living with it day in and out would be.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
Than there are us that tried it, did not like it ( noise, other shifting problems) and went back to OEM and much prefer it. MGW improves on some areas but like anything else something else suffers. Ended up selling it on the forum for half of what i paid for. The ideal would be to try one with one installed but than that is like test driving a car for 20 minutes, gives you no idea on how living with it day in and out would be.
QUOTE! The ideal would be to try one with one installed but than that is like test driving a car for 20 minutes, gives you no idea on how living with it day in and out would be.[/QUOTE]

That my friend is the GOSPLE! Try it before you BUY it! That goes triple for an exhaust system!!!

I ABSOFRIGGENLOOTY HATED the OEM shifters in my 98 and 02 ZO6.

I up-graded to a KIRBAN Ripper Shifter. I selected that "TYPE" of shifter because:

1. VERY SOLID SHIFTER
2. Shift handle is SPRING LOADED to the N/3rd/4th GATE.
3. Not too short of a shift handle.

The spring assisted return to the center gates will (if you have the proper shift technique) help prevent the engine destructive shifting into SECOND GEAR when you are at 6000 RPMs at the top of third gear and expect to grab FOURTH GEAR!

The KIRBAN and many many other simular spring assisted shifters are excellent.

NOTE! SOME PEOPLE, HATE the extra effort it takes to move the stick LEFT & RIGHT to shift into 1st/2nd - 5th/6th,,,, SO,, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

NOTE2: Your OEM C5 and or C6 Shift handle and shigter are NOT spring assisted. There are ZERO GATES or notches inside the actual shifter top or shifter lower housing. All the shift gates that you feel are inside the transmission and the springs that make the handle pop into the center gates are also inside the transmission.

SHIFTER RETURN SPRING (bottom center)

SHIFT GATE PLATE:

This is a picture of the T-56 but the T60/60 is similar.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 03-04-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
Appreciate your candor.

Get notified of new replies

To Short Throw Shifter

Quick Reply: Short Throw Shifter