C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer blew my engine.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

IMHO - when the replacement engine is installed, and the car is running - and you're there to take delivery - try to take the for a somewhat "extended" test drive before you sign on the dotted line If there are problems - it typically far easier to get them resolved before you sign than after. .

Try out as many systems as possible on the test ride, a tremendous amount of things need to be disassembled to replace an engine in any modern car - let alone a C6 - and even with the best techs around - it's relatively easy to overlook things....

The bottom line is that this is a $10K + job. If you look at the cost of a regular LS3 Crate engine, and the cost for 20 plus hours of labor - you're at about the $10K mark. If you add in all the misc. parts that are going to be changed out as well - the original dealer whose tech screwed up the oil change is losing a lot of money. While he's telling you that he'll pay to have everything done right - you don't know what he's telling the Chevy dealership about what he'll write the check for. Even if the Chevy dealership is going him a favor and giving him a lower labor rate than the public would pay - it's still a whole lot of $$$, and the truth is that much of this work will have to be done by one of the most experienced (read that as most expensive) techs in the service dept. My point here is that whenever there is that much money involved is behooves you to keep your "spidey sense" turned up... Be aware of things that don't seem right.... If possible visually verify that the parts that were supposed to be replaced are in fact new. But ... and this is the important part - if there are problems - they can be corrected. You just want to position yourself to be in the best possible position to have them corrected to your satisfaction.

In all honesty - you already did exactly what I would have suggested - after you had a bit of time to digest what happened - you went out and looked to see if there were other similar cars out there. You didn't find much - so you decided that this car was worth sticking with. You say you plan to keep it for a long while - so the engine replacement that will show up on the "Car-Fax" and it's potential to turn away future buyers isn't all that important to you. OK !!! You did your research, you weighed the alternatives and you made an informed decision !!!

If you have kept up with the news on the C7's - it seems that Chevy failed to properly clear chips after one of the oil passage / oil filter machining operations, and several hundred C7 motors expired (including one that a National Car Mag was testing) as a result. Every one of those new C7 owners got essentially what you're getting here - a new engine (but in the C7 case - I'm sure that the factory authorized only the bare minimum of replacement parts be changed out). At least you had the opportunity to decide if you wanted to stay in the deal - the C7 owners got no choices at all !

I really hope everything works out at least as well as you are hoping for !!!

GOOD LUCK with her and ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Purple92:
jwd (05-11-2016), Rjhctrapp (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 01:21 AM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I would have likely made the same decision you made if it happened to my 2012 Grand Sport... I spent six months looking for the exact color and options.

Side note-- LS3 crate motors are extremely well built .. and several of my friends have swapped out their LS2 motors for a LS3 crate and had no issues.
The following users liked this post:
Rjhctrapp (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 01:26 AM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by C6topless
I would have likely made the same decision you made if it happened to my 2012 Grand Sport... I spent six months looking for the exact color and options.

Side note-- LS3 crate motors are extremely well built .. and several of my friends have swapped out their LS2 motors for a LS3 crate and had no issues.
Lol, that's the most expensive 30hp mod I've ever heard of.
Rjhctrapp (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple92
IMHO - when the replacement engine is installed, and the car is running - and you're there to take delivery - try to take the for a somewhat "extended" test drive before you sign on the dotted line If there are problems - it typically far easier to get them resolved before you sign than after. .

Try out as many systems as possible on the test ride, a tremendous amount of things need to be disassembled to replace an engine in any modern car - let alone a C6 - and even with the best techs around - it's relatively easy to overlook things....

The bottom line is that this is a $10K + job. If you look at the cost of a regular LS3 Crate engine, and the cost for 20 plus hours of labor - you're at about the $10K mark. If you add in all the misc. parts that are going to be changed out as well - the original dealer whose tech screwed up the oil change is losing a lot of money. While he's telling you that he'll pay to have everything done right - you don't know what he's telling the Chevy dealership about what he'll write the check for. Even if the Chevy dealership is going him a favor and giving him a lower labor rate than the public would pay - it's still a whole lot of $$$, and the truth is that much of this work will have to be done by one of the most experienced (read that as most expensive) techs in the service dept. My point here is that whenever there is that much money involved is behooves you to keep your "spidey sense" turned up... Be aware of things that don't seem right.... If possible visually verify that the parts that were supposed to be replaced are in fact new. But ... and this is the important part - if there are problems - they can be corrected. You just want to position yourself to be in the best possible position to have them corrected to your satisfaction.

In all honesty - you already did exactly what I would have suggested - after you had a bit of time to digest what happened - you went out and looked to see if there were other similar cars out there. You didn't find much - so you decided that this car was worth sticking with. You say you plan to keep it for a long while - so the engine replacement that will show up on the "Car-Fax" and it's potential to turn away future buyers isn't all that important to you. OK !!! You did your research, you weighed the alternatives and you made an informed decision !!!

If you have kept up with the news on the C7's - it seems that Chevy failed to properly clear chips after one of the oil passage / oil filter machining operations, and several hundred C7 motors expired (including one that a National Car Mag was testing) as a result. Every one of those new C7 owners got essentially what you're getting here - a new engine (but in the C7 case - I'm sure that the factory authorized only the bare minimum of replacement parts be changed out). At least you had the opportunity to decide if you wanted to stay in the deal - the C7 owners got no choices at all !

I really hope everything works out at least as well as you are hoping for !!!

GOOD LUCK with her and ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you. I will retain all the original documentation from both dealers in the event that I must sell it. The invoice from the Chevy dealer states what happened. All the warranty info, everything will stay with the car. I had no idea C7 owners had that issue. I would have kept one of those cars too. If need be, I'll correct any issues that I can't get satisfaction from the dealer on. Labor of love. The service manager at Dwayne lane Chevy has been up front and straight forward thus far and I don't think he would candy coat anything from or for Rairdons. The owner of Rairdons (not yet met him) seems like a straight shooter also. No questions asked, told his guys to take it up to Dwayne lanes. Don't even touch it. Maybe I'm gullible but it sure seemed like all the sales people at Rairdons were just as upset as I was. I'm sure there's going to be a couple issues that will need taken care of from the engine swap. Even the best techs have little glitches. Ask me how I know. I'm prepared to commit for the long haul. I truly do love this car. I've stopped and sat with it several times on my way home from work. Lol, my wife also, yesterday she stopped in and put a hand on it. This corvette will never suffer from a lack of love. For us, this is one of our children and will be cared for accordingly. I will also keep all of you informed as we progress.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:44 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

One addendum to add to the parts to be replaced: The aux tank mounted on the side of the dry sump tank. Fro GM service bulliten.

2015 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette Service Manual 7527625 | Bulletins By Category | Technical | Document ID: 2323131
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Oil Tank Debris Caution
Caution: If any malfunction is experienced which may cause debris to enter the oil supply, you must clean the main engine oil tank, replace the auxiliary oil tank, the engine oil hoses and the engine oil cooler. Debris in the engine oil tank, engine oil hoses and engine oil cooler may be pulled back into the engine causing severe engine damage.

2015 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette Service Manual 7527625 | Bulletins By Category | Technical | Document ID: 2323130
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Oil Cooler Debris Caution
Caution: If any malfunction is experienced which may cause debris to enter the oil supply, You must replace the engine oil cooler and hoses. Debris in the engine oil cooler and oil cooler hoses may be pulled back into the engine causing severe engine damage.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:37 PM
OneMoreVet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK someone shoot me!

Seriously.... I hope everything goes smooth and in the end you're 100% satisfied with the car.
Rjhctrapp (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Originally Posted by OneMoreVet
OK someone shoot me!

Seriously.... I hope everything goes smooth and in the end you're 100% satisfied with the car.
Thanks and I know, it's a lot to read. I'm confident all will be well. I'm a ford guy that also is an enthusiast but I've always loved corvettes and when the Grand Sport made its grand entrance in 2010, I vowed to own one. This is it. I had a 2006 GTO and it was a cool car except the strut rub and destroyed suspension it had from shipping. This is our unicorn and we are committed.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:49 PM
Bearman71
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man you got pretty lucky. I think you made the best choice to keep the car.
Rjhctrapp (05-09-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 10:51 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

But what do I know...I'm just one of the negative commentors that doesn't know what he's talking about.[/QUOTE]

Rjhctrapp (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:22 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Budarooski
Most likely it's a crate motor already in stock, so it'll have a serial number on it. The dealer is blowing smoke up your ***...if anything, he's probably going to swap the decals from the blown motor to the knew one. Serializing a replacement motor to the car...seems dishonest to have matching numbers when the motor is not the original.

But what do I know...I'm just one of the negative commentors that doesn't know what he's talking about.
There was a forum member with a 2009 LS3 that was replaced under warranty. GM replaced it with new LS3 and the motor was stamped with the same numbers. Original motors are engraved with deeper markings, the replacement was stamped with the same numbers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike's LS3:
Ratboy (05-28-2016), Rjhctrapp (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:27 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
There was a forum member with a 2009 LS3 that was replaced under warranty. GM replaced it with new LS3 and the motor was stamped with the same numbers. Original motors are engraved with deeper markings, the replacement was stamped with the same numbers.
Rjhctrapp (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 12:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

MAN,,,,,,,,, What a STORY!

When the repair is ALL SAID AND DONE,, take the car for a inspection drive. Pay very close attention to the any abnormal DRIVE TRAIN VIBRATIONS. They will usually show up between 2000-4000 RPM but can happen anywhere in the RPM Range.

ALL C5/C6/C7 MN6/MN12 cars have the engines FINIAL HOT BALANCED to a finer degree than an Automatic equipped Corvette.

If you detect ANY abnormal vibrations, that's a BIG issue and something that will need to be addressed.

Hopefully it will be SMOOTH AS SILK!

Bill
Rjhctrapp (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 01:39 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

<-----See my avatar picture...that would have been me when they asked, "We'll have the motor replaced...still want the car?"
There are a bunch of GS's near your town...not sure why you'd want to deal with that mess.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...nd+Sport&Log=0
Go back and read post #90...
Old 05-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Originally Posted by walleyejack
But what do I know...I'm just one of the negative commentors that doesn't know what he's talking about.
[/QUOTE]

Negative or not, your opinion is appreciated. I'm not narrow minded like that.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
MAN,,,,,,,,, What a STORY!

When the repair is ALL SAID AND DONE,, take the car for a inspection drive. Pay very close attention to the any abnormal DRIVE TRAIN VIBRATIONS. They will usually show up between 2000-4000 RPM but can happen anywhere in the RPM Range.

ALL C5/C6/C7 MN6/MN12 cars have the engines FINIAL HOT BALANCED to a finer degree than an Automatic equipped Corvette.

If you detect ANY abnormal vibrations, that's a BIG issue and something that will need to be addressed.

Hopefully it will be SMOOTH AS SILK!

Bill
Thank you. Good to know and I will more than likely be very sensitive to any noises or vibrations now. I have so much anxiety and am nervous as hell, all I can do is hope the tech performing the surgery is as meticulous as I am but chances are slim, huh?
Old 05-11-2016, 03:12 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

<-----See my avatar picture...that would have been me when they asked, "We'll have the motor replaced...still want the car?"

There are a bunch of GS's near your town...not sure why you'd want to deal with that mess.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...nd+Sport&Log=0
The only car I found is a carbon edition Z06 that I'd love to have, but $66k is out of my price range. Lol, I'm sure they would go 144 months for me! 900 miles on it and it's the beautiful orange. Not sure if its atomic or inferno for that year but man what a beautiful car.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:16 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Rjhctrapp
all I can do is hope the tech performing the surgery is as meticulous as I am but chances are slim, huh?
That's the unfortunate truth, which is why I think so many people in this thread tried to steer you clear of this vehicle. Some dealers still screw up oil changes on dry sump motors.

Hopefully it goes well.
Rjhctrapp (05-13-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer blew my engine.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Originally Posted by erick_e
That's the unfortunate truth, which is why I think so many people in this thread tried to steer you clear of this vehicle. Some dealers still screw up oil changes on dry sump motors.

Hopefully it goes well.
They said 5 to 7 days to get the engine. It's been 7 days as of Wednesday, I drove in and my car still outside so I pulled in. Rich says they haven't received it yet.
I did meet the tech that will be performing the swap. He's my age and has done several C5 and C6 engine swaps not to mention numerous Camaro engines.
Kinda put my mind at ease. All this nice weather and seems like all I see on the road is corvettes with the tops out and enjoying the drive. Just miss the heck out of my car. Being patient though.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:10 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rjhctrapp
...I did meet the tech that will be performing the swap...
Perfect! Now he has a face to put with the car.
Rjhctrapp (05-16-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 09:50 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

any updates Rich ??

Quick Reply: Dealer blew my engine.