C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removed tanks, now no fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:24 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Default removed tanks, now no fuel pressure

I removed my fuel tanks to gain access to roll bar fasteners. Put the tanks back in. I'm getting plenty of fuel to the fuel rails but there is practically no pressure. Plenty of flow, no pressure. Therefore the engine hits but wont stay running.

What can prevent the pump from developing pressure. I don't hear the pump but never have heard it. I get good fuel flow from the end of the fuel rail when I remove the schrader valve.

The tanks are full. Car ran fine before removal.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:34 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

You may actually be seeing residual fuel at the rail. If there is no pressure I would want to think that the pump isn't getting power. You can definitely hear the pump if you just turn on the ignition without starting.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:58 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by User Omega
You may actually be seeing residual fuel at the rail. If there is no pressure I would want to think that the pump isn't getting power. You can definitely hear the pump if you just turn on the ignition without starting.
The pump is definitely pumping. Fuel comes out the end of fuel rail at a full stream. But I can put my finger over the hose and completely stop the flow with no effort.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:13 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
I removed my fuel tanks to gain access to roll bar fasteners. Put the tanks back in. I'm getting plenty of fuel to the fuel rails but there is practically no pressure. Plenty of flow, no pressure. Therefore the engine hits but wont stay running.

What can prevent the pump from developing pressure. I don't hear the pump but never have heard it. I get good fuel flow from the end of the fuel rail when I remove the schrader valve.

The tanks are full. Car ran fine before removal.
It could very well be a faulty fuel primary or secondary pressure regulator not supplying the correct pressure to the fuel rails. Make sure you check the fuel system fueses etc to assure that the pump is gettting power.

Here are some pics of description of fuel system
Hope they help some:

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 08-28-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:10 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Thanks for that information. It was helpful and gives me a few more things to consider that I would not have otherwise known. I believe the regulator could be the issue. The bad news is it all still has to come out. Bummer
Old 08-28-2016, 11:54 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

The cross over lines probably didn't seat correctly, so it is just pumping the fuel back into the tank.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:21 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by Unreal
The cross over lines probably didn't seat correctly, so it is just pumping the fuel back into the tank.
Most likely and common culprit
Old 08-29-2016, 08:38 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by sevinn
Most likely and common culprit
I considered that as a possibility. All the fittings were in they're locks to hold them in place. So I felt confident about it. But I'll know for sure tonight.

None of this would bother me nearly as much as it does, if I didn't have a bad back (a few ruptured discs) and I'm doing this without a lift.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:27 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Well, I got it running again.

Apparently the cross over tube was the problem. Although the locks on both ends of the tube were fully engaged, something was still misaligned.

Pulled the drivers tank and tube. I put a full twist in the hoses inside the tube help it stay locked into the small catches. Everything went back together the same as before, at least from a "feel" standpoint. Hooked up the battery, hit the ignition. We have lift off. Thank Goodness. Thanks for all the comments
Old 08-30-2016, 08:38 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Next step is to see if you run out of gas at 1/2 tank because the transfer pump isn't working. Be prepared for the 1st time.

Get notified of new replies

To removed tanks, now no fuel pressure

Quick Reply: removed tanks, now no fuel pressure