C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 03:52 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Shock Replacement question

Good Morning, My car is a 2006 A6 with the F55 magnetic ride suspension. After taking it into the shop I was told all 4 shocks are leaking & need replacement. (car has 74k) While researching and from what I was told to replace them it's about 1k a piece

I don't need the option to select ride, Rather I'd just like to have a set that will provide good handling. What would are my options to convert to standard shocks and what shocks are recommended.

Thank you.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:15 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Good Morning, My car is a 2006 A6 with the F55 magnetic ride suspension. After taking it into the shop I was told all 4 shocks are leaking & need replacement. (car has 74k) While researching and from what I was told to replace them it's about 1k a piece

I don't need the option to select ride, Rather I'd just like to have a set that will provide good handling. What would are my options to convert to standard shocks and what shocks are recommended.

Thank you.
I would get a second opinion, It's highly unlikely that all your F55 shocks are bad at 74,000 miles.... You may be getting screwed...You can get F55 shocks for around $500.00 each at "Rock Auto" and put them on yourself, at $500.00 each to install the shocks your definitly getting screwed.....Find another mechanic...WW

Last edited by WW7; 09-13-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:44 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

I don't have F55, but if you replace with non mag shock, I understand you have to program out the function.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:41 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

You can also use a shock simulator to make the computer think that a mag shock is there when there is a $75 Bilstein there instead. Also, a little sweating is normal for any shock...it's unlikely that all four are bad...one maybe, not all four. So my bet is that the shop is looking for a very profitable job at your expense. In the old days an unethical shop would squirt a bit of oil on one shock and show it to you to confirm the whole scam. I'm not saying that this is what is happening but a little sweating can look worse than it really is.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:08 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Originally Posted by 703

Thank you.

Have the shop wipe off the leaking fluid on a clean towel, and put a magnet to the towel. If the magnet does not stick to the towel fluid, then go tell them to go **** up a rope.

Hence the F55 shock fluid has metal partials in it, since the shock works off magnetic fields to change the viscosity of the fluid as it being driven through the piston. The higher the magnetic field in the piston, the slower the fluid will move through it.

Also to point out since the rod end of the piston is upwards, small amounts of fluid may get past the seal on the rod over time, but unless you just happening to be driving the car upside down, no way for the fluid to be gushing out instead. Plus, there is the plastic dust boot cover on the shock rod covering it, so it not like they can get to the rod to actually wipe enough fluid off the rod to show you, without removing the shocks in the first place.

Simply, the shocks may have some fluid on them, but bank that is not the actual shock fluid instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 09-15-2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:08 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Bilstein sports and Z51 sway bars and you will not believe it's the same car BEST $500 you can ever spend on a NON Z51 car, with an A6 you can get a Chuck COW tune, tune out the shocks and the shifting will blow you away!
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (11-21-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Ricbear
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be really rare that all four are failing at the same time.
Do like Dano said and clean them up, also listen for any clanking/clunking sound when set on the different setting while moderate speeds over small road bumps, not speed bumps mind you. If you isolate any clanking or rattling sound that will be the one to replace. You will not have to replace all four or in pairs.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:36 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
Bilstein sports and Z51 sway bars and you will not believe it's the same car BEST $500 you can ever spend on a NON Z51 car, with an A6 you can get a Chuck COW tune, tune out the shocks and the shifting will blow you away!
Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Ricbear
It would be really rare that all four are failing at the same time.
Do like Dano said and clean them up, also listen for any clanking/clunking sound when set on the different setting while moderate speeds over small road bumps, not speed bumps mind you. If you isolate any clanking or rattling sound that will be the one to replace. You will not have to replace all four or in pairs.
When I change it from touring to sport there is no difference, at least none that I can feel
Old 09-24-2016, 04:02 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Thanks for the info

When I change it from touring to sport there is no difference, at least none that I can feel

Go find some train tracks!!!!!!

Hence it the high speed dampening and rebound that is really tightened up, and you may not notice the difference on leisure drives.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:56 PM
ColeJ5743
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with Z51 sway and DRM Bilstein shocks. Love them. I also ended up replacing my front spring and going with the FE3/Z51 spring to go with the other upgrades.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:41 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 703

Thank you.
OP if you interested in keeping the F55 system I can send you links to get the fronts for roughly $460 a piece and the rears for $300 & $360 (left and right rears are different shocks). Granted I assuming the 2006 cars use the same shocks as my 2013 car.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:18 AM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 703

Thank you.
I have F55 shocks and at 148k miles mine are fine; dirty but no evidence of any leaking, I think the shop may be trying to drum up business; it's been done before.

Originally Posted by WW7
I would get a second opinion, It's highly unlikely that all your F55 shocks are bad at 74,000 miles.... You may be getting screwed...You can get F55 shocks for around $500.00 each at "Rock Auto" and put them on yourself, at $500.00 each to install the shocks your definitely getting screwed.....Find another mechanic...WW

Originally Posted by cclive
You can also use a shock simulator to make the computer think that a mag shock is there when there is a $75 Bilstein there instead. Also, a little sweating is normal for any shock...it's unlikely that all four are bad...one maybe, not all four. So my bet is that the shop is looking for a very profitable job at your expense. In the old days an unethical shop would squirt a bit of oil on one shock and show it to you to confirm the whole scam. I'm not saying that this is what is happening but a little sweating can look worse than it really is.

Originally Posted by 703
Thanks for the info

I notice the difference right away in two ways; road noise and body roll. Try this:

1) Drive on an interstate that has concrete and listen to the thud sound when you drive over the joints; first use the "Sport" setting and after a couple of miles change to the "Touring" setting. There should be a change in sound as you pass over the joints from a very distinct thud to a softer thud.

2) At about 20 to 25 mph on a deserted road with a center line. With the mode in "Touring", turn the steering wheel left and right five or six times like drivers warming up their tires before a race; take notice of the amount of body roll, then the change to "Sport" and after waiting a few seconds, again turn the steering wheel left and right five or six times and compare the amount of body roll as compared to the "Touring" mode.

Originally Posted by truth.b
OP if you interested in keeping the F55 system I can send you links to get the fronts for roughly $460 a piece and the rears for $300 & $360 (left and right rears are different shocks). Granted I assuming the 2006 cars use the same shocks as my 2013 car.
F55 shocks from a 2013 will not fit a 2006 since GM changed the type of connectors. I know this personally since I bought a set from a 2012 thinking they would fit my 2005. I checked with my dealer and the 2013 shocks only fit a 2012 and 2013.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:30 PM
cclive
Team Owner

It's SO unlikely that all four have gone bad.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:07 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Second time in a week that somebody's been told all 4 mag shocks were bad.
Also second time someone said Bilsteins were better. If Bilsteins were better, then logically Ferrari, ZR1, and Z07 all made a mistake.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Better is subjective...I have Bilsteins because I don't want a $2,000 shock absorber option where replacements are $500 each and must be bought from GM. I believe Bilsteins are the best aftermarket shock and provide a great deal of wheel control without just stiffening the suspension. GM has decided to put Bilsteins on the C7, which was a good idea. They have had Bilsteins as OEM on other GM vehicles in the past too. I had a Blazer that had Delco-Bilsteins from the factory and they were doing just fine at 175,000 miles.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:28 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LJD51
F55 shocks from a 2013 will not fit a 2006 since GM changed the type of connectors. I know this personally since I bought a set from a 2012 thinking they would fit my 2005. I checked with my dealer and the 2013 shocks only fit a 2012 and 2013.
That's unfortunate. Well I advise looking for the equivalent AC-Delco Part# for the shock that's leaking. For instance my front shock was leaking and the dealer told me the part number was #19302775 and cost $1,051.28. A little Internet searching reported the same part as roughly $700ish I then found the AC-Delco equivalent part# 580-10469 for about $470.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:48 AM
Welshvette
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello USA, UK here...
Can someone help me with a part number for my F55 equipped 2005 C6 I need a front right shock and want to be sure I order the right one.
For what its worth - my view is to stick with the F55 OEM shock and not change to save some money that is a few months I would have forgotten I have spent. :-)
Thanks in advance

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Replacement question

Old 10-06-2016, 07:17 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

The front F55 shocks both have the same part number: 19302790

Cultrag parts has them for $723.47

http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com

Last edited by el es tu; 10-06-2016 at 07:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Welshvette (10-07-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 12:27 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you soo much!

Thank you soo much!

The magnetic ride cars suck. Simple. They only come with the little wimpy "pinkey BAR" out back and smaller front bar.

I have a way of "de programming" the car and totally disabling the electric shocks so you can install C6 ZO6 shocks and sway bars.

Replacing the electric ride stuff sucks because buying only 1 shock costs almost as much as all the parts to convert the whole car to ZO6 stuff.

Come on in and get converted. You will LOVE the new ride...and your TUNE!

Chuck CoW
Old 10-10-2016, 02:42 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 703

Thank you.
Originally Posted by 703
So what did you do?
Kinda hoping you found an honest mechanic who wiped the road oil and grime from the shocks and said you were fine. Try to remember that the mag shocks (due to their electro-magnetism) will naturally attract and hold more crap on their exterior than old-school hydraulic shocks.

BTW, the change from touring to sport is just about the same subtle change as from D to S on the transmission. Unless you understand what happens and know how the change affects the car, you won't "feel" the difference.

Quick Reply: Shock Replacement question