C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 11:02 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by weykool
Okay so today I went out and ran 135 miles with no problems. Then after exiting the freeway I pulled up to a stop light and I got a "reduced power" warning. I pulled to the side of the road, plugged in the InTune I2, cleared out the same two codes I listed above P1516, P2101, and continued driving for another 30 miles with no problems. I am thinking perhaps this is a loose wire in the back of the connector unless the TB butterfly valve is sticking when the car returns to idle but as infrequent as I see this now I am willing to bet on the loose wire. Any thoughts?
You may have to remove the throttle body and center the blade, with minimum rob on the main body will cause it to go immediately to reduce performance mode ones centered never happens again, there are sensors thinner then a human hair inside to detect this condition.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:22 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Yes ... put your old throttle body on for a week , if you get no codes you know what the problem is ...

Dave
I'm willing to be this is the issue.
op...who ported the tb?
Old 11-25-2016, 11:25 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Dcasole; How do you recalibrate a TB? The reason I ask is that I put on a ported TB and having problems with it stalling at times..No Codes..Thanks
its the porting...the porter has to know what they are doing when porting these tb.
I have an ls2 and I installed a ported tb and it was a simple bolt on...no calibrations necessary.

Last edited by tennblkc6; 11-25-2016 at 11:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 10:38 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

very interesting thread.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:34 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

The ECM might now be detecting too much airflow for a particular throttle position. There are sanity checks done in the computer to make sure airflow and throttle position are not too far out of whack or yiu go into limp mode. Just mention the p1516 and p2101 ti your tuner and he should be able to recalibrate things.

Until then I would just clear the codes every day. Clearing them gives you another 100 or so miles before it will shut down again

EDIT: Look at it as a good problem....If airflow vs pedal position was the same before and after the mods, your mods didn't increase performance enough

Last edited by NJ_phil; 11-27-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:52 PM
weykool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE:
I went out again yesterday, and will be going out again today, but last night, I installed just a simple 91 octane "canned" tune from my InTune I2 (which if I must say is well worth the money, not a sales pitch, just a simple and very useful tool to have even if you just clear codes with it) I ran everything from 50 miles and hour all the way up to 140 and my car is running as smooth as can be now. I will see if this continues today but I believe the problem is gone. For those who asked, the porting was done by Gig's Performance in California. They are very reputable, easy to deal with and they are top notch. (not a sales pitch, but I did have the TB ported by professionals) Today I will log another 100 miles and complete a data log to send out for my custom tune and I am sure this will fine tune everything and my baby will be running fine before my event Friday night. Just as a side note, I can already feel a huge difference in throttle response and performance with my changes. (FAST 102 LSXr Intake manifold, ported TB, Vararam CAI and Cat back Akrapovic exhaust)

THANKS to all who helped me work this problem in short order. I learn from this forum each and every single day!

Last edited by weykool; 11-27-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:01 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

You need it tuned properly, your doing it backwards.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:32 PM
weykool
Instructor

Perhaps I am "doing it backwards" as you say. Please help me understand. How could I possibly get the car tuned, and then install add on's? Wouldn't this then change the tune I had installed? I don't understand your comment at all. Please help me to understand.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:50 PM
weykool
Instructor

Update:
Okay so today I ran another 150 miles in a full range of speeds and did not encounter a single problem for the entire run. Completed my data logs for the Intune I2 and have sent all data off to Lew for a custom tune. Big race event this Friday night. I will post information of what she did after the event.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:43 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Update:
Okay so today I ran another 150 miles in a full range of speeds and did not encounter a single problem for the entire run. Completed my data logs for the Intune I2 and have sent all data off to Lew for a custom tune. Big race event this Friday night. I will post information of what she did after the event.
nice! good to here you have it sorted. keep us posted on how the race goes.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:27 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Perhaps I am "doing it backwards" as you say. Please help me understand..

Best thing to do is find a local recommended tuner and a dyno and get it handled in one day.

The tuner will also see if there are any other issues that need to be addressed.

I have a feeling Lew will find something else in his reportback to you, changing intake and cai did not throw codes on me.

Good luck on the event

Quick Reply: Serious Problem