C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in headers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Jrock817
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Difference in headers.

im looking to buy headers for my 13, base c6. There is such a large difference in price, I'm not sure I know all the details.

I am pretty sure I only need 1 3/4 for size, as I'm looking for moderate performance, but mostly better sound. I also want to keep cats, so I don't have to worry about emissions ever. (I had an 03 cobra and got caught with no cats once, even though I had a tuner with no CEL, but the guy knew it wasn't legit, so he looks under car, no cats.... pain in the *** every two years).

my main question, some brands cost 1300 with headers and carted x-pipe, while others with same parameters (1 3/4 long tube with carted x-pipe) are running about 2k. Is there that much difference in quality? Again, I'm not so concerned over a few horsepower, I know I'll gain some with a tune, I just want shiny new stuff, as cheap as possible.

i also have been scouring the parts for sale for a while, and for headers, it seems you only get the headers or the xpipe on the deals, and they aren't that cheap compared to new. Thanks in advance for any feedback, and sorry for the long post
Old 05-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

In my experience, yes there is a huge difference. High quality headers like ARH fit well, perform great, good materials, american made, solid welds, good connections. Other cheap china headers are 50/50 chance of fitting, can develop leaks, don't perform as well, etc.

I would suggest sticking with the better brands. I would do a used set of ARH or LG over a new set of cheaper headers if cost is a really a concern. You can typically find them used for a good deal.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:36 PM
Withnasty
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Biggest part of the disparity in pricing is going to be the name, second will be materials used. If you want budget performance, kind of hard to beat Texas Speed. I personally didn't choose their headers and X pipe but dollar per horsepower it would've been my second choice.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Let me save you a lot of trouble. Buy Kooks 1 and 7/8 inch coated catted headers from Maryland speed. It took a lot of research me to arrive at that conclusion and I'm pretty cheap , trust me it's the best decision. You're welcome.
The following users liked this post:
MarylandSpeed (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 12:18 AM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Let me save you a lot of trouble. Buy Kooks 1 and 7/8 inch coated catted headers from Maryland speed. It took a lot of research me to arrive at that conclusion and I'm pretty cheap , trust me it's the best decision. You're welcome.
Thanks for the order!
Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 AM
Willymot1126
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers

Video of my corvette, I have Texas speed headers if you're looking for a good set of headers for a good price check them out !!

https://youtu.be/RT4UeJuoPLs
Old 05-17-2017, 06:38 AM
Jrock817
Advanced

Thanks for all of the replies! I will check out the Texas speed for sure, and a lot of vendors seem to have decent sales every now and again. Now I just have to wait for the deal that makes the most sense to me! Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Beef97
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow I just looked at Texas speed headers.....why are they so much cheaper? I had no idea they were that much less than the other brands. Any negatives to going with them? The common complaints I've heard about headers are fitment issues, proximity to spark plug boots and burning the clutch line. Just wondering how they compare to others. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2017, 04:48 PM
Jrock817
Advanced

Originally Posted by Willymot1126
Video of my corvette, I have Texas speed headers if you're looking for a good set of headers for a good price check them out !!

https://youtu.be/RT4UeJuoPLs

Do do they make an option with cats? I can't navigate well through the website on mobile at work.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:04 PM
Withnasty
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

the cats are in the X pipe but I don't see an option for their particular offering on the site. Might want to shoot them an email. Theyre pretty quick in replying. I asked a million questions about several of their offerings before ordering their stage 3 cam and they responded within an hour or two each time.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:51 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrock817
im looking to buy headers for my 13, base c6. There is such a large difference in price, I'm not sure I know all the details.

I am pretty sure I only need 1 3/4 for size, as I'm looking for moderate performance, but mostly better sound. I also want to keep cats, so I don't have to worry about emissions ever. (I had an 03 cobra and got caught with no cats once, even though I had a tuner with no CEL, but the guy knew it wasn't legit, so he looks under car, no cats.... pain in the *** every two years).

my main question, some brands cost 1300 with headers and carted x-pipe, while others with same parameters (1 3/4 long tube with carted x-pipe) are running about 2k. Is there that much difference in quality? Again, I'm not so concerned over a few horsepower, I know I'll gain some with a tune, I just want shiny new stuff, as cheap as possible.

i also have been scouring the parts for sale for a while, and for headers, it seems you only get the headers or the xpipe on the deals, and they aren't that cheap compared to new. Thanks in advance for any feedback, and sorry for the long post

I just ordered LG from Maryland Speed with full long tubes and x pipe. You won't find a better deal from another vendor. 1 3/4 is what you need and I don't think Texas Speed offers that size. If you are on a strict budget then I would try them but LG and ARH are two of the better brands and fitment will not be an issue. I tried to wait for a good used set to come online but gave up as the price was not that much cheaper for a used set and ordering new, you are going to be getting exactly what fits your application. good luck

Last edited by sfrank2886; 05-18-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:54 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
although I went uncoated and 1 3/4". The Kooks come with everything you will need, also Stage 8 fasteners which are top notch It matters, just read some of the horror stories in CF
NSF

Last edited by Not So Fast; 05-18-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:11 PM
aanold
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I just installed a set of ARH 1 3/4. Perfect fitment. Took me a while because I made videos of each step that I'm gonna post soon.

I had mine coated so that I would have lower under hood temps. It did cost a small fortune though but love them and after all my research I would go with the same or Kooks everytime.

Sounds to to me like kooks does better at providing things like quality fasteners and clamps. ARH provides bolts but tells you straight up to use the stock bolts because they are better. I did and had no issues.

They provide accuseal SS band clamps, one of which I broke and had to order a new one before I could finish. I opted to by GM manifold gaskets instead of using the ones they provided.

Very happy with ARH although I wish they were a bit more affordable or included ceramic coating at the current pricing.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:22 PM
Beef97
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm just wondering if Kooks or ARH is really worth over double the price of Texas speed headers? Getting TS headers coated would still probably put you under the price of uncoated kooks or arh.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:58 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Headers are some of the priciest per HP mods you can do. However without them, many of the other power mods won't reach their full potential.

If your long term goal is not power and you still want headers for other reasons, then buy low priced and save the cash for other stuff.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Don't think it was mentioned...use GM header gaskets!!
Old 05-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Beef97
I'm just wondering if Kooks or ARH is really worth over double the price of Texas speed headers? Getting TS headers coated would still probably put you under the price of uncoated kooks or arh.
From the sounds of it you have not priced them from Maryland Speed, I too thought as you at first but after talking directly to Brenden and after considering the all inclusive price of the Kooks was really not that much more.
May I suggest you do that then make your decision, and search some of the problems incurred with other brands, not all but some and not all of the time. Your call of course Good luck
NSF

Get notified of new replies

To Difference in headers.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:09 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Headers are some of the priciest per HP mods you can do. However without them, many of the other power mods won't reach their full potential.

If your long term goal is not power and you still want headers for other reasons, then buy low priced and save the cash for other stuff.
Agreed, right behind the priciest mod/HP for the LS3 - the CAI units in the range of $400/$500 and yield no hp gains at all. Thankfully, we live in a free market where anything can be created, along with any claim. And, thankfully, there is the "butt Dyno" justifying it all. Very seldom hear from anyone with $kin in these mods that do not claim it feels so much faster...really woke it up, etc...All is Well!

Last edited by BlindSpot; 05-19-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Headers

I have a 2013 Grand Sport w/6spd manual. I had pretty great results personally with American Racing Headers ceramic coated 1 7/8" long tubes & coated 3" catted X-pipe. (To fit the 3" catted x-pipe I bought mufflers for a Zo6) You could get a 2.5" catted x-pipe if you're keeping your existing mufflers. I got my Headers ceramic coated so they costed a bug hair over what they list for...Some people have told me (this is back in the day mind you) that your car will lose some torque with 1 7/8" vs 1 3/4" Long tubes. My Grand Sport put down 435 lbft. to the wheels with the headers & tuning. It doesn't seem like it lost much of anything.

On a side note...On the ARH Longtube header design, the X in the X-pipe is before the catalytic converters. On most every other Longtube header/x-pipe combo the X in the X-pipe is after the catalytic converters. Can anyone chime in on the science behind this? My Grand Sport put down a bunch more torque than my 08 LS3 w/1 7/8" Kooks & the Kooks style of catted x-pipe into Corsa Xtreme mufflers. Different car, different engine, different dyno, different day, etc...

Last edited by dmoneychris; 05-19-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmoneychris
I have a 2013 Grand Sport w/6spd manual. I had pretty great results personally with American Racing Headers ceramic coated 1 7/8" long tubes & coated 3" catted X-pipe. (To fit the 3" catted x-pipe I bought mufflers for a Zo6) You could get a 2.5" catted x-pipe if you're keeping your existing mufflers. I got my Headers ceramic coated so they costed a bug hair over what they list for...Some people have told me (this is back in the day mind you) that your car will lose some torque with 1 7/8" vs 1 3/4" Long tubes. My Grand Sport put down 435 lbft. to the wheels with the headers & tuning. It doesn't seem like it lost much of anything.

On a side note...On the ARH Longtube header design, the X in the X-pipe is before the catalytic converters. On most every other Longtube header/x-pipe combo the X in the X-pipe is after the catalytic converters. Can anyone chime in on the science behind this? My Grand Sport put down a bunch more torque than my 08 LS3 w/1 7/8" Kooks & the Kooks style of catted x-pipe into Corsa Xtreme mufflers. Different car, different engine, different dyno, different day, etc...

Key here is like you said different day, dyno, car and such. By chance could you say what brand of dyno was used on the 08 figures, and what one was used for the GS figures ?
Thanks
NSF
The following users liked this post:
dmoneychris (05-20-2017)

Quick Reply: Difference in headers.