C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical gremlin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:55 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Electrical gremlin?

As I'm leaving my neighborhood, I notice the AC not cooling. Then I see the DIC message, "Engine Hot Air Conditioning OFF." The temp gauge needle has not moved from it's coldest temp.

I went back home and let it sit overnight. This morning I put it in engine mode and immediately get the message "Engine Hot Air Conditioning OFF." I did not start the engine.

I disconnected & reconnected the battery. Started the engine, temp gauge is now working and no DIC message.

Anyone else had or heard of this problem? Hopefully it was just one of those pesky gremlins acting up.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:01 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just had a gremlin get into my car last night while parked in an underground garage. Meant no flatbed towtruck could get to me. So I came here to read up on possibilities I could check while not at home with tools. Bought a new fob battery first. Made no difference. I could open the driver's door, but not the passenger door. The window would drop the 1/4 inch that it does before opening the door, but it would not unlock.

My remote did not open the trunk and one time the DIC displayed no fob detected. Placed the fob in the glove box holder and one time I was able to start it up. I kept it running and drove it home even though no signals worked, possibly no brake lights either. Stayed on surface streets with fewer potential trouble spots to upset others ;-)

I had called AAA and asked for a battery check and they determined the battery was OK. When it did start it was a normal start, no issues with the motor not turning over quickly enough.

While driving the DIC rotated through all the service systems messages that the car has (I think). When I pressed the accessory button, nothing would happen. When it wouldn't start you could still hear the quiet electrical clicking (the radio or? system makes) but nothing else, no clicking of the starter solenoid trying to engage.

Also, while driving I noticed no data displaying for TPMS, Average MPG etc., but the the trip odometer was working and the tach and speedometer were working.

I stopped it in the driveway and was able to restart once. Then when I went back out to the car a few minutes later to move it into the garage it would not start again.

The car sits at home and the driver's door can be opened. I cleaned it out so there was nothing to steal. All that might happen is for it to be vandalized inside, but the neighborhood has been good to the car for 3 years so it should be fine (knocks on wood).

Tonight I will stop at Autozone and buy a new battery and some dialectic grease and unplug and replug all conections in the passenger footwell as well as clean and reconnect the new battery.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:07 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Tonight I will stop at Autozone and buy a new battery and some dialectic grease and unplug and replug all conections in the passenger footwell as well as clean and reconnect the new battery.
Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Seems that most modern cars now need a fully charged battery.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:42 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

New battery and cleaned and greased connections and it seems to be working again. Now to reset the windows, tpms, auto lock etc.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:36 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
New battery and cleaned and greased connections and it seems to be working again. Now to reset the windows, tpms, auto lock etc.
Very cool. When I disconnect, reconnected my battery terminals, I lucked out with only having to re-index the windows and reset the side mirrors. Everything else didn't need a reset.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:56 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

I started it up this evening and headed out to dinner with some friends and all else was working again. So all I did was re-digitize the windows which was quick and easy.

The guys I met up with both agreed that the electronics in new vehicles these days are sensitive to a less than near nrw battery 😉
Old 06-17-2017, 10:16 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
I started it up this evening and headed out to dinner with some friends and all else was working again. So all I did was re-digitize the windows which was quick and easy.

The guys I met up with both agreed that the electronics in new vehicles these days are sensitive to a less than near nrw battery 😉
Yep, I agree. Glad everything worked out. Well, ... until the next gremlin pops his ugly head up.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:31 PM
veech
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I buddy had the same thing happen... thermostat/gasket was stuck. Replaced them and everything was good!
Old 10-22-2019, 12:46 PM
ZRon1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw your post. Just had the same problem. Dealer is not helpful. Did you ever determine the cause or implement a permanent fix or did the "battery reset" clear it up forever? I did the reset but after a few start/stop cycles, it came back.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical gremlin?

Quick Reply: Electrical gremlin?