C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I protect starter an related wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:17 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I know this'll be hard in the heat today , but picture yourself standing in a cabin with the door open that's letting a cold winter wind blow in directly on you. You have 3 choices. (1) put on a coat. (2) put up a shield to re-direct the wind. (3) close the door. It's like good, better, best. Of course, doing nothing because 99 out of 100 people have not died due to cold exposure is the other alternative.

Stopping potential problems at their source is better than fixing them later. The only question is whether the effort is greater than the risk of doing nothing.
Guess I'll take door number 1 and put on a coat, oh wait that's also a shield is it not, oh well no biggie, thanks
NSF
Old 06-22-2017, 06:19 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Guess I'll take door number 1 and put on a coat, oh wait that's also a shield is it not, oh well no biggie, thanks
NSF
Hope you were joking. Closing the door is the best choice, since the source is eliminated in the same way as wrapping the exhaust does.
My preference is to do nothing and let the airflow keep things cool. If excessive heat caused starter motor problems, GM would have used a heat shield like they did in other areas.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Hope you were joking. Closing the door is the best choice, since the source is eliminated in the same way as wrapping the exhaust does.
My preference is to do nothing and let the airflow keep things cool. If excessive heat caused starter motor problems, GM would have used a heat shield like they did in other areas.
Since you mention it and I was under there looking it seemed that the header pipes were in actuality pretty far away from the starter, plenty of room fro air flow between it and the actual pipes, don't know if Kooks fit better/differently than other headers but that's what I saw. I'll probably leave things alone as I don't drive that much and no track days at all. Time will tell
Thanks
NSF
Old 06-22-2017, 09:07 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

I know this'll be hard in the heat today , but picture yourself standing in a cabin with the door open that's letting a cold winter wind blow in directly on you. You have 3 choices. (1) put on a coat. (2) put up a shield to re-direct the wind. (3) close the door. It's like good, better, best. Of course, doing nothing because 99 out of 100 people have not died due to cold exposure is the other alternative.

Stopping potential problems at their source is better than fixing them later. The only question is whether the effort is greater than the risk of doing nothing.
What a writer!! Well done. Thanks man!!

Quick Reply: How can I protect starter an related wiring