C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member 2shay

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:04 AM
2shay
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member 2shay

Hi
I just purchased an 07 convertible 2 weeks ago with less than 17K miles.
However, the dealer put new tires on it and now and I think they either damaged the sensors or they need to be reprogrammed. I am getting a warning "tire maintenance and the pressure reading is XX. Pressure tire icon is also on.
My husband who is now in the hospital and has worked on 78 and 00 vettes. He has been in electronics all is life. Can he do this once he is home or does it need to be serviced.

Id appreciate any feed back

2sahy (JoAnn)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:21 AM
jehuds10
Race Director

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome to the forum! You will probably get lots of information on this issue here.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rformance-101/
Old 06-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Welcome to the forum, but I'm going to move this to the C6 Tech/Performance section for answers to your questions.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:58 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by 2shay
Hi
I just purchased an 07 convertible 2 weeks ago with less than 17K miles.
However, the dealer put new tires on it and now and I think they either damaged the sensors or they need to be reprogrammed. I am getting a warning "tire maintenance and the pressure reading is XX. Pressure tire icon is also on.
My husband who is now in the hospital and has worked on 78 and 00 vettes. He has been in electronics all is life. Can he do this once he is home or does it need to be serviced.

Id appreciate any feed back

2sahy (JoAnn)
There is a chance that they may of damaged the sensor when they changed tires. I've had that happen a few times, on different vehicles.

If the tire tech breaks the bead where the sensor is located, the bead of the tire will hit the sensor portion and it will break it. If it's an honest tech, he will fess up and replace with a new sensor.

It is also possible that the sensor battery is dead or dying, and a new sensor is needed.

The only way to test it is with a TPMS relearn tool. The shop that changed your tires should of did this for free before you left their premises.

Take it back, have them reset the sensors, and if they claim one is bad, have them show you the old sensor before they replace it. The old sensor should be intact if they did not break it.

In a 2007, the lifespan of the sensors is getting close to their life cycle of approx. 10 years.

I have a 2006, and although they were still working, I did change them all out on my tire change this spring.
BTW, when they were removing my old tires, they did break one sensor. This time, I didn't care, but I would have if I needed them for the new tires.
Here is a pic of the broken sensor

Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 06-21-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New member 2shay

Quick Reply: New member 2shay