C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacersetter headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Jrdrag2562
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pacersetter headers

I have started getting more serious about building my corvette and incase anyone doesn't know I have a 2006 white m6 with the ls2. Currently has a vararam snake charmer, Z06 npp mufflers, and a 75 shot of nitrous on a wet kit. I work at Don Schumacher Racing as a bottom end guy on the Make A Wish funnycar. I went ahead and went with headers next. I found a deal on the "magical" ebay of used pacersetters. for 150$ shipped to my door the worst thing that could happen is that I learned a lesson. I went into this with my opinion that.... a tube is a tube. they aren't coated but a circular tube bent by one guy is no different that the same tube bent by another guy. I believe what you pay for is fitment. Well pacesetters are 300$ish new in comparison to other big names that can over triple that price. So how well will it fit? I finished connecting the mid pipes today and to my amazement.... it all fit perfectly. No cutting, bending, straining. It bolted up like it should have. O2 sensors were easy to get to and it didn't hang low under the car. I wanted to share my experience with the community. I do understand that coating and image is on a lot of peoples concern but I don't plan on lifting my hood for anyone, I'm just out to stomp on some a**. Next on the list is my brian tooley stage 3 cam and manley valve train. I will have HP tuners in the next 7 days, so a tune is on the way. Hope this is helpful to some new comers.

- David
The following users liked this post:
bowtiefresh (04-03-2020)
Old 10-09-2017, 08:32 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

You get what you pay for, IMO.
Those higher-end headers are more costly due to engineering (material, 4-2-1 design, welds, coatings, sizing, "tuned" header (all equal length piping before the collector for a smoother exhaust flow), etc).
Good luck, and let us know how they hold up and w/what kind of numbers!
bowtiefresh (04-03-2020)
Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Jrdrag2562
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R_W
Those higher-end headers are more costly due to engineering (material, 4-2-1 design, welds, coatings, sizing, "tuned" header (all equal length piping before the collector for a smoother exhaust flow), etc).
I can understand and respect that opinion. I've just never found in my racing experience (which we have switch multiple manufacturers) that no one single header made any gain until we started to change pitch in our design. Only time will tell for these though!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:40 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by R_W
To some extent this is true, but some of the expensive brands cost more than they should.

OP I'm glad the pacesetters worked out for you. I've installed them on a few different types of cars and never had an issue with them other than the fact that they were mild steel on those vehicles and required paint or coating. What are they made of for vettes?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Jrdrag2562
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sevinn
To some extent this is true, but some of the expensive brands cost more than they should.

OP I'm glad the pacesetters worked out for you. I've installed them on a few different types of cars and never had an issue with them other than the fact that they were mild steel on those vehicles and required paint or coating. What are they made of for vettes?
I believe the same goes for vettes. Mild steel. I cleaned them up with scotchbrite and had them hit with a high temp paint. Day 2 still no issues. Words to the wise.... I wasn't able to get the midpipes on the first day I installed the header due to not having exhaust clamps, don't drive it open header. I've had many open header cars and this one was by far the worst. The radio just doesn't go high enough haha.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:01 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

damn man, that sucks......there are plenty of headers on here used for a decent price...if it makes you feel any better, another indy guy (kyle rodenberg) is running pacesetter headers on his c6z LOL
i wouldnt do that but its all what you want in the end

good luck man, need any help lmk i live on the south side
Old 10-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Jrdrag2562
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
damn man, that sucks......there are plenty of headers on here used for a decent price...if it makes you feel any better, another indy guy (kyle rodenberg) is running pacesetter headers on his c6z LOL
i wouldnt do that but its all what you want in the end

good luck man, need any help lmk i live on the south side
right on man. I leave for Dallas tomorrow but will be back next Tuesday. We should meet up some time.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:39 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

pm me when your back man!!!!
Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Jrdrag2562
Intermediate

pm me when your back man!!!!
Will do sir. Hope to meet up soon. What vette do you drive?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

black c6z
Old 10-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Jrdrag2562
Intermediate

black c6z
Dig it man. I'll be in touch soon!
Old 10-11-2017, 03:08 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrdrag2562
I went into this with my opinion that.... a tube is a tube. they aren't coated but a circular tube bent by one guy is no different that the same tube bent by another guy.
That's my opinion also. Though I didn't go with pacesetters, mine were the infamous OBX and they were great.. until an armadillo decided to dent them all up, then I went with Hinson coated headers. Sounds great too. Loud with NPP.

All the high dollars are.. is high dollars spent, no gains, may look pretty and of course, they are "name brand". Talking same metals used though too.

Spent my savings on cam swap instead.

Last edited by jbomx363; 10-11-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Jrdrag2562
Intermediate

Also I didn't have it tuned but I plugged in my scan tool and even though it has no rear o2 sensors or converters, it still goes into closed loop and doesn't lean out at full throttle while keeping it stoich at a cruise and idle. I thought it would totally mess with the computer but I talked to a former GM engineer who had a big part in designing the c5 and he informed me to a lot of older c6 cars had a default in the computer to set the tables at the "last known good value" settings. So pretty much it's running all the tables it has in the past knowing it won't damage itself. News to me.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:16 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by sevinn

Couldn't agree more. I went Hinsons on mine and couldn't be happier.

Last edited by R_W; 10-13-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:58 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Another local guy. Welcome to the forum! I have a Black C6Z as well. ~STOLEN~ and I have hung out a few times. Always a good time.

Kyle does live by those Pacesetters. He is pretty happy with them. There is a chance you may like them just the same.

Last edited by User Omega; 10-18-2017 at 12:59 AM.
~STOLEN~ (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 01:46 AM
Jrdrag2562
Intermediate

Originally Posted by User Omega
Another local guy. Welcome to the forum! I have a Black C6Z as well. ~STOLEN~ and I have hung out a few times. Always a good time.

Kyle does live by those Pacesetters. He is pretty happy with them. There is a chance you may like them just the same.
i finally get back to it tomorrow. If you or stolen have any tuning tips please shoot them my way. Got hp tuners a few days ago and itching to see what I can get out of it
Old 10-18-2017, 05:37 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrdrag2562
i finally get back to it tomorrow. If you or stolen have any tuning tips please shoot them my way. Got hp tuners a few days ago and itching to see what I can get out of it
I like to leave the tuning up to the professionals. I have messed with a few things in HP on my car but mostly just use it to log data.
~STOLEN~ (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:33 AM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The problem with the Pacesetters is the location of the passenger side 02 sensor..
It is located on the inside of the header and makes it very difficult to run 02 sensor wires without them burning through...

Also, they do not come with extenders... so you have to make your own or but elsewhere.. your also going to need those welded... to hell with the cheap sleves they send with it
Old 10-19-2017, 03:16 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by User Omega
I like to leave the tuning up to the professionals. I have messed with a few things in HP on my car but mostly just use it to log data.

+1

Ill shoot you a video of a local guy that played "weekend tuning" himself
Needless to say he is without a ride

Get notified of new replies

To Pacersetter headers

Quick Reply: Pacersetter headers